Monday 12 August 2013

Mini Review: Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits #1.5) by Katie McGarry

Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits, #1.5)
Crossing the Line by Katie McGarry
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Publication date: April 1st 2013
My rating: 3.5 stars 




Katie McGarry captivated readers with her “riveting, emotional”* Young Adult debut, Pushing the Limits. In this gripping novella, she tells the story of Lila and Lincoln, who discover that sometimes it’s worth crossing the line for love…

Lila McCormick, Echo's best friend from Pushing the Limits, first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters—or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.

Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness—and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.

My Thoughts:
I just find it so sweet and old fashioned to fall in love over letter writing!  Crossing the Line was a swoony short read that had me ooohing and awwing by the end.  Love Katie McGarry’s writing!


We know Lila best as Echo’s long-suffering and loyal friend.  She’s a peach in Pushing the Limits, and no one could ask for a better girl to have your back! What we didn’t know in Pushing the Limits is that Lila met a boy, Lincoln, at Aires’ funeral and made a lasting connection.  Bonded together over grief, (Lincoln’s brother died in the same unit that Aires did), they stay in touch through letters for two years.  Falling bit by bit they make plans to attend college together in Florida when they graduate.  There’s a bump in the road that they need to navigate over, but this helps push things with their relationship in the right direction. 

I love the idea of falling in love through letters.  Taking the time to craft together something tangible that you can save and take out and re-read over and over is just so romantic.  Lincoln and Lila feel a deep connection, so by the time they see each other again it’s like being with someone who knows you in and out.  No insta-love here even though this is a mere 67 pages long. 

This is perfect when you need a snippet of romance to perk you up but don’t have a lot of time.  An hour or two and you’re left with a stupid happy grin on your face.  

Favorite Quote (it’s spoilery, so consider yourself warned):

“I like you, Lila. As more than a friend.  I wake up in the morning and I think of you. I go to bed at night and you’re the last thought in my mind. I dream of you. The best days of the week are the ones when I get your letters.”
She blinks once, her face frozen. My stomach sinks. “But if you don’t feel the same way, it’s okay. I swear—“
“Lincoln,” she says before I can finish. “I feel the same way…for you.”







20 comments:

Rachel said...

Katie is such an amazing writer. Her sentences all have beauty in them. Love the oil spill analogy in one scene with her mom in Dare you to.

I love letter writing too, love the way you describe the deep connection pen-palling can create. Terrific review Rachel!

Siiri said...

Loved the quote! It's not that spoilery, in my opinion. I read your warning afterwards, haha. I love the idea of this novella and I like that you don't have to make a spin-off of another character, but rather a short story and it doesn't have to be 400 pages long to pull you in and make you care. I think this sounds perfect and I can't believe I haven't read it yet. Katie McGarry is the queen of all things swoon-ish :) hehe.

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I'm in love with everything that Katie writes. I enjoyed all of her books and this one too. Like you said it's full of awwws and you want to hug it when it's over. I love the quotes. Great review Rachel :)

Anonymous said...

Although I'm a huge fan of Katie McGarry and I love the whole idea of falling in love through letters, I'm not sure I want to read this, because I dislike short books so much. They always leave me craving for more.
This does sound really sweet though and that quote is amazing.
I'm glad you enjoyed this, Rachel!
Lovely review! :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Ohhhh love letters....*sigh*....if someone could explain to my boyfriend just how romantic it is, I'd be sold forever haha but seriously, I love the sound of this one! I'm worried about the fact that it's a novella because they always leave me wanting more, but this sounds solid and sweet. Great review, Rachel! :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Lila really deserves some love in her life, especially after supporting Echo through all her crap. How cute that this love story is through letters.

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I really like these books but I haven't picked up this novella yet. I like that even though it is short, there is no insta-love. I should check this one out!

brandileigh2003 said...

I enjoyed this one and it was so sweet about falling in love through letters

Jenny said...

Dear Rachel,

Why haven't I read this book yet? I'm a complete and utter Katie McGarry fangirl and I have absolutely not logical explanation for why this book is not yet in my hands. I must remedy this immediately! I want a quick 67 pages that will put a big ol' grin on my face:) And just the thought of Aires and how much Lila loved him makes my heart hurt. *sobs* So good.

Much love,

Jenny

Jess said...

This sounds lovely! I love this series and I love letter writing (I keep in touch with a lot of friends this way!) so even though I'm not a big fan of novellas I might just give this one a go! :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Ahh this does sound sweet and fun even though it is short. I am certain that I would love it but be sad that it was over too soon. I agree letters are a wonderful way to fall in love!

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

Eeep! Although I don't remember who Lila is, this novella romance seems so so sweet. AND I LOVE LETTERS TOO. I can't believe there's no insta-love, now that's impressive! I'll have to read this one, lovely review!

Katie said...

I haven't read this one and I honestly don't remember much about Lila from Pushing the Limits but I think I'll check it out. Your review makes it sound like something I'll enjoy.

Katie @ Katie's Book Blog

Keertana said...

I wasn't too sold on reading this one, but from the way you've described it, it sounds adorable! I definitely need to give this a shot, especially since I'm a fan of McGarry's work. Lovely review!(:

Sophia said...

Oh, this one just sounds so adorable! I only got halfway through Pushing the Limits--not because it was bad, but because it wasn't really my thing. But falling in love through letters is definitely remarkable classy and romantic! <3 Lovely review, Rachel!

Unknown said...

I feel lost every time I read any of McGarry's work. Not her fault, mind you. It's because after the first book, I haven't had the urge to read the rest.

Glad you liked this, Rachel. :)

Unknown said...

Aw, I adored Crossing the Line too! And yes, falling in love through letters is so sweet & really allows the relationship between Lincoln & Lila to develop naturally.
Fab review, Rachel!

Lauren @ Love is not a triangle said...

I love short and sweet novellas that are meaningful. And the fact that this one is told in letters is even more fun! I'll definitely be checking this out soon. Thanks for sharing.

Carina Olsen said...

Aw, love the quote. <3 Thank you for sharing :D Not sure when I will get to reading these books, even though I loved Pushing the Limits. Hopefully soon :D Glad you loved this! Thank you for sharing your awesome review :)

MƄїƐƂ»-(¯`v´¯)-» said...

Uhhh...I still haven't gotten around to this one! It sounds super cute and I also love the falling in love through letters romance. I can't wait to meet Lincoln and Lila and see how their relationship develops! I'm glad you enjoyed this, Rachel! Great review! :D

~ Maida
Literary Love Affair 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...