Sunday 1 October 2017

The Readers Den Weekly Wrap Up #12

Hi everyone, with Rachel and I's crazy work schedules, we miss sharing whats going on with us. We used to have a lot of fun with our Showcase Sunday posts, so thought we'd do something regular on the blog, where we share bookish news and life news in general as a weekly recap! We've decided to link our weekly wrap up's with The Sunday Post hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer.


Jasprit 

This week was much better for me in terms of reading, I finally found myself enjoying my current reads, I had like four adult books (who would have thought this would have been me a few years back?) on the go and I couldn't put them down. The only thing was I felt really sick throughout the week, I don't know if it was because I was working from home and staring at my laptop all the time, but I was getting really bad headaches and feeling kind of queasy. It didn't help that I felt this way when reading physical books too, so I kind of had to stick with my audiobooks for the majority of this week. But that was fine with me, as I had Jason Carpenter and Sebastian York to look forward to in Emma Chase's Legal Briefs series, somebody tell me why I hadn't picked up this series sooner! 


WHAT I READ/REVIEWED 

Jasprit 
(Click on title for Goodreads link)



As I mentioned before, I loved the heck out of Overruled, both Jason Carpenter and Charlotte Penfield did great jobs with the narration, I should hopefully have my review for this book up on the blog this week, it's my first 5 star read since early August! I also really enjoyed So Over You, this is the second book in the Chicago Rebels series and one that is quickly becoming my new favourite! And Undressed and Going the Distance were disappointing reads for me, the romance I had high hopes for in both of them, but I wasn't feeling the chemistry at all.


Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)


I didn't read as many books as I hope to. I have a lot of review books to get through, but my running schedule has been keeping me busy. I enjoyed Archangel's Viper, which is the first book I've read in Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series. Shooter was on sale on Audible so I bought and listened to it.  I liked it, but it didn't wow me.  I finally got my review up of One of Us is Lying last week! I've been so lazy about writing reviews lately so I was happy to post one that wasn't a review book, because I loved the story so much!

BOOKS RECEIVED 
Jasprit 
(Click on title for Goodreads link)



Yeah I couldn't help myself this week, I was finally getting a bit of control over my ARC situation, but then I had to visit Edelweiss and see some epic books available. I was thrilled to get a. copy of Love and Other Worlds, its not out until next year April, but I just feel like diving into it right away! And I hadn't heard of Together at Midnight, Here So Far Away and Art of Running in Heels until recently, but I'm excited about reading them

Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)

No new books received, but I did request a few yesterday. We'll see what happens.


NEW TO MY TBR
Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link)


I've been loving the heck out of Kate Meader's Chicago Rebel's and Alisha Rai's Forbidden Hearts series as of late, so of course more books in this series I would welcome with open arms! 


Rachel:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link)


I actually listened to the Devil in Spring (book #3) of the Ravenel series by Lisa Kleypas and loved it.  I just noticed books one and two: Cold-Hearted Rake and Marrying Winterborne were available audios at my library so I checked them out and am listening to Cold-Hearted Rake now.  It is soooo good!  I'll have to wait for Hello Stranger to release next year.  I read a Carina's fab review of Fragments of the Lost and I immediately added it to my TBR and went to Netgalley to request it.  I enjoyed Megan Miranda's adult mystery, The Perfect Stranger, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll love her YA mystery, too. 


  WHAT I'M WATCHING:

Jasprit  


I've been of Strictly Come Dancing (the U.K version of Dancing with the Stars) for as long as I can remember, so I was thrilled when it made a return this season. When the celebrities were announced I wasn't really a fan at the beginning, but since I've seen them perform, I'm actually in awe in how talented so many of them are! And I swore I wouldn't watch Great British Bake Off when it made a move to Channel 4, but it's seriously been so addictive! Me and Allie have been watching it together since episode 1!




Rachel:


Still watching The 100, although I only watched like two episodes last week.

EVENTS OF THE WEEK

Jasprit 

So I flopped it this week with being all fit and healthy, I didn't go to the gym once, but I blame that entirely on not feeling well, but my eating was a lot better, I'm hoping I can stick to it and not eat all the Chilli Heatwave Doritos! Also when out shopping this week I came across this Kate Spade planner, isn't it so pretty? I absolutely love the quote on the front, I think I may have to make another trip back this week to purchase it!







Rachel:
I wrenched my back last weekend babysitting so I had to take a couple of days off running to recover, which pushed my long run (8 miles this last week) to Tuesday instead of Sunday. My back is still not 100% but I was able to do it without hurting my back further.  I'm currently in Laguna Beach with my husband relaxing for a long weekend and had a therapeutic massage yesterday which was heavenly!  I think it helped a lot.  I'm doing my runs in the hotel gym which overlooks the ocean.  A great view for running! I'm going to relax and read by the pool today.









How was your week?

15 comments:

Nicci said...

I was underwhelmed by this years Strictly 'celebrities' but some of them are so good! Jonnie Peacock is amazing!
The Art of Running in High Heels has just been added to my TBR.
Have a good week!

Evelina @ AvalinahsBooks said...

Wow... You have such a beautiful blog header! And that planner! Yum. Looks amazing.
Have a great October :)

Julie said...

So Over You is one that I'm looking forward to, so I hope you loved it. I enjoyed the first book in the series. I also picked up In Skates Trouble but I haven't gotten to read it yet. Hope you have a great week!

Samantha@WLABB said...

Jasprit - I am such a fan of the Legal Briefs books. I had not listened to them, but maybe I will, since you thought the narration was good. I have been eyeing those Kate Meader books, so I really think I will give them a try, since you and many other have been saying good things. You received three books that I am really wanting to read. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Rachel - How good was One of Us is Lying? I loved it! Enjoy the beach and I hope your back is feeling better.

Blodeuedd said...

Lots of Kleypas this month :D

Nick said...

Jasprit:
Sorry to hear that you were sick this week, but wohoo for audiobooks! I'm thrilled that you adored Overruled. If you thought this first book was good, wait until you read Sustained which is my favorite Emma Chase book ever. Ahh! You already read So Over You. I'm keeping it to read over the holidays because I surprisingly don't have a lot of romance ARCs for the coming months. Also that Jen Frederick series gets really good with the second book, so you should push on if you can. :)
I was curious about that new Christina Lauren book too, but I'm going to wait for reviews to start coming in. I've had mixed luck with their books in the past. I also have the Rachel Gibson book and I know Nereyda loves her so I'm excited to give it a try.
I'm going to be so sad when Alisha's book comes out because it will be the last in the series! I've grown very attached to it.
I also thought I wouldn't watch Bake Off, but I've been streaming it and I just love how calm this show makes me! Julia's snail bread sculpture cracked me up!! That Kate Spade planner is so pretty! You should definitely get it! :)

Rachel:
I'm so glad to hear you liked One of Us Is Lying! That's a book that really surprised me with how enjoyable it was.
And ahhh! You're reading The Ravenals! I love these books and I hope you love them as much as I did too. :)
I'm sorry to hear about your back though! I hope you recover very soon! Totally jealous of your relaxing weekend!!!

I hope you both have lovely weeks ahead! :)

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

Jaspirit I am glad you had a good book week but sorry you didn't feel well. That planner is so pretty!!
Rachel those pictures are gorgeous!!
Have a great week!!

The Book Disciple said...

Oh I LOVE that series by Lisa Kleypas!!! I cannot wait for Hello Stranger. And I love the Guild Hunters series by Nalini Singh as well. You should check out her Psy-Changeling series if you haven't read it. I think I like that series even more!

Greg said...

Jasprit, hope you're feeling better! And glad you had a good reading week. :) Here So Far Away looks like it should be good. And I try to tell myself I don't like Dancing w/ the Stars, but if it's on I do have to admit they are talented, and it's fun to watch.

Rachel, glad you liked One Of Us Is Lying. I thought it was pretty awesome. And Fragments of the Lost is on my TBR, I've read one Miranda book and liked it, want to try more of her stuff. How are you liking The 100? I've been rewatching it and am halfway through S3, it's amazing how many things I've forgotten!

That pool looks awesome! Enjoy!!

Karen said...

Beautiful views! I hope the R&R helps with your back problems.

Those Lisa Kelypas books are so pretty.

For What It's Worth

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Jasprit- I hope you're feeling better. That planner is so cute; I LOVE the quote on the front.

Rachel: Sorry about your back! I hope it's completely better soon! Lucky you chilling by the pool though. :)

-lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Brandie said...

Lovely pictures, Rachel! I hope your back is better today. I just bought a copy of One of us is Lying...sounds so good!
Jasprit - I keep hoping I get approved for the new CL book on Edelweiss. Dying to read it. Enjoy!!

Geybie's Book Blog said...

The Legal Briefs series is AWESOME! I loved Sustaince so much. Glad that you love this series too. Happy reading. 😁❤️

Rachel said...

Thanks, Brandie! I hope you love One of Us is Lying as much as I did! :)

Carina Olsen said...

Ohhhhh. I am so jealous of that pool Rachel :D Looks like perfection. <3 And eee, I'm SO glad that you got Fragments of the Lost :D And I hope you will love it the very very most. <3 And yay, Jasprit, for reading and enjoying a lot of books :D I have also read tons of bad ones this year.. and I know it's the best feeling to finally read a book that's amazing :) Hope you are both doing great. <3 Lovely recap, as always :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...