Monday 1 February 2016

The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave #2) by Rick Yancey

The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave #2) by Rick Yancey
Publisher: Penguin UK
Publication Date: September 16th 2014
My rating: 4 stars 


THE 1st WAVE Took out half a million people. THE 2nd WAVE Put that number to shame. THE 3rd WAVE Lasted a little longer. Twelve weeks . . . Four billion dead. IN THE 4th WAVE, You can't trust that people are still people. AND THE 5th WAVE? No one knows. But it's coming. For Cassie Sullivan and the rest of Earth's remaining human survivors, the situation was already desperate when the 5th Wave hit. It's about to get worse. No one yet knows the depths to which Earth's conquerors - the Others - will sink in order to rid the Earth of the human infestation, nor have they guessed the heights to which the human spirit can reach. Characters introduced in Book One will come to the fore - and others will face the ultimate test.

I LOVED The 5th Wave, so much so that I pre-ordered The Infinite Sea immediately. But being the mood reader I was I couldn’t get into The Infinite Sea no matter how many times I tried. So I was overjoyed when watching the film The 5th Wave (which I loved) reignited my enthusiasm to give The Infinite Sea another go and I’m glad that I did.

Things weren’t left in the best way in The 5th Wave; I was worried that we wouldn’t be seeing much of one of my favourite characters that I had become thoroughly attached to. He’d gone on to show that despite being different he could still have strong feelings for another human being and how he put his neck on the line and the affection he shared despite lots of people not trusting him, made me want to have the faith that things would be okay. Once again the chapters were confusing to start off with as we didn’t know whose perspective we were being told the story from. I did enjoy the back story that we were able to get from particular characters, but once again I found myself gravitating towards chapters from my favourite characters. Even though the perspectives from other characters (like Ringer) were an integral part of the story, I wanted to go back to being with Cassie and find out what was going on with her and the others, so you could say that I was slightly disappointed of that small snippet we were given at the end and then left hanging for more! (highlight to  view spoiler) to be honest I was expecting more from Evan and Cassie, more of their romance to develop, it was clear that they perfect for one another. I love how with their kept promises, they always wanted to come back to one another and how Evan was always looking out for Cassie. But time really wasn’t on their side, with the odds stacked against the humans, them never knowing who was a human or not and the others upping their tactics, Evan and Cassie then could only make use of the time they had L


Despite this being my only complaint, I still enjoyed reading The Infinite Sea, I enjoyed the twists that Yancey gave us along the way (the introduction of Evan’s ex was a particular favourite of mine, and I enjoyed the anticipation of watching it enfold, honestly she was such a formidable force to be reckoned with). But also how when kids had hope that they were finally making some sort of progress, something else would kick off and all hope would get chucked out the window. But I liked how these characters continued to battle despite death and despair all around them, I especially liked Ringer’s strength as a character. But it wasn’t all doom and gloom, I liked how Yancey sprinkled humour throughout the story, Ben was pretty banged up for the most of the story, but he was such a funny character, he was quick to bring a smile to my face with his witty comments. So overall although I didn’t end up enjoying The Infinite Sea as much I did The 5th Wave, I will still be eagerly anticipating the release of The Last Star (thank goodness the release is just around the corner) to see how things will pan out for these characters that I have become far too attached to!





12 comments:

Emma said...

I haven't read The 5th Wave, but I have a copy and been meaning too for years. I think the film will give me a kick up the backside to finally read it. So glad your persevered this one. Bet your glad that you didn't give up. Great review, Jas. :)

Nick said...

This is a series I plan on binge-reading when the last one releases. It sounds really exciting and I'm really happy to hear that this one was a solid sequel, Jasprit. I read your spoiler and I think I would definitely want the same things as you did. I'm a teensy bit worried about what you had to said about the POV. I usually don't like to be confused when reading.
Lovely review, Jasprit! :)

Lekeisha said...

I enjoyed this one way more than The 5th Wave. Can't wait for the next book!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I loved the 5th Wave as well, but like you, I havent' continued the series. I really want to, but I haven't worked up my enthusiasm. I will probably binge read the second and third once the last one is out.

Carina Olsen said...

Awesome review Jasprit :D I'm so glad you liked this book a lot. <3 I gave book one five stars. Ack. But I never read this one.. I shall wait until book three is out, then re-read the first and then this one :) You make it seem pretty awesome. But ugh. Little romance? Not okay for me, lol. I hope book three will be better :) I shall peek a lot, hih. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. <3 I'm glad you ended up enjoying it so much :)

Joy said...

Oh I don't know about this one, Jas. I've always been a fan of their romance, but it doesn't sound like there's much of it here. Is there going to be a third book?

Keertana said...

I really couldn't get into The 5th Wave but the trailer looked really good so maybe if I watch the movie I'll be able to power through the novel. Hmm.. Still, I'm glad to see that this sequel didn't disappoint, with the exception of one or two aspects. I hope I can join this bandwagon soon, though--I hate missing out on hyped-up books! Gorgeous review, Jasprit!(:

Siiri said...

Jazzy!!!!!! I'm so glad you finally picked it up since I know how much you loved the first book. Yay for more backstory:) Ok hah I checked the spoiler part and tbh I'm really surprised that you ship this, because from all the fangirling and talk about the other guy I thought that the other one was a clear front runner? :O If this is a love triangle at least..... LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed the plot twists though ;) and happy that you enjoyed it in general!

Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

Piecraft Bucharest said...

I just saw The 5th Wave, and I was pleasantly surprised. Even Hubs liked it, and he's getting quite fed up with YA dystopias :D I haven't read this one yet, but I will - because you have to read the book before seeing the movie :D And judging by the box-office numbers, we can definitely expect a sequel based on The Infinite Sea!

Jasprit said...

Yes it's out next month! I'm definitely wishing for more romance in that book!

Ksenia said...

I’m in the minority here, but I haven’t read The 5th Wave and haven’t seen the movie. I think I’ll binge read the whole series when all installments are released. I’m impressed how you wrote a review on the second book in the series without any spoilers. I always find it’s very hard to do. Glad to hear you enjoyed this book, though not as much as the first one.

Jeann @ Happy Indulgence said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the sequel Jasprit! The 5th wave wasn't my favourite, but it sounds like there's parts of this that you enjoyed, such as Ben's humour and Evan's ex. Lovely review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...