Thursday 12 July 2018

Review: My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows

My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies #2) by Cynthia Hand, 
Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows 
Publication date: June 26th 2018
Publisher: HarperTeen
My rating:  2.5-3 Stars
Pages: 464
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | TBD | Kobo

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33199875-the-good-daughter
You may think you know the story. After a miserable childhood, penniless orphan Jane Eyre embarks on a new life as a governess at Thornfield Hall. There, she meets one dark, brooding Mr. Rochester. Despite their significant age gap (!) and his uneven temper (!!), they fall in love—and, Reader, she marries him. (!!!)

Or does she?

Prepare for an adventure of Gothic proportions, in which all is not as it seems, a certain gentleman is hiding more than skeletons in his closets, and one orphan Jane Eyre, aspiring author Charlotte Brontë, and supernatural investigator Alexander Blackwood are about to be drawn together on the most epic ghost hunt this side of Wuthering Heights.


My Thoughts:
I loved the first book in this series, My Lady Jane, which tweaked history is an entirely good way.  The actual story is pretty awful, and so the changes were quite welcome.  This second installment, which has nothing to do with the previous story other than it being a famous “Jane”, this time a tweaking of the original Jane Eyre. 

Since I loved the original Jane Eyre and the romance, I can’t say I was thrilled with the changes to the story and romance in this version.  Wasn’t really a romance at all except between Charlotte and Alexander, but that was Highlight for Spoiler left open ended, and I like my romances wrapped up nice and tidy, End of Spoiler so that was disappointing too.  The story was entertaining, the magical elements were fun, and I did have a laugh here and there, because seriously these ladies are very funny! Still, I have to say, the story felt a bit convoluted and went on longer than I would’ve liked.

Helen was an annoying character I could’ve done without, and Jane wasn’t my favorite character either. I enjoyed Charlotte (as in Brontë) and Alexander and their POVs the best.  While I was a bit underwhelmed by this installment I fully intend on picking up the next endeavor of this writing team: My Calamity Jane which promises to have a better ending than the original version. I am all for that!

 2.5-3 Stars


 

11 comments:

Kindlemom said...

I love Jane Eyre too which is why I thought it would be best if I passed on this one. I was afraid I wouldn't like it even though I really liked the first book too. So sorry this didn't work for you.

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I still need to read the first book. Sorry this installment wasn't quite as good. Hopefully the next one is better!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I need to read My Lady Jane still. I've been hearing this one isn't as great, but that's good you're excited for the third installment at least! :)

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Mystica said...

Sorry this one didnt quite work out for you.

Karen said...

I haven't read too many good reviews for this one. I could have picked it up at ALA but took a pass.

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I tried to read Jane Eyre twice as a teen and couldnt’ get through it so I am not biased. I enjoyed the first one, but I am thinking I am going to pass on this one. Thanks for the helpful review, Rachel.

Rachel said...

Probably good you took a pass. :/

Rachel said...

My pleasure! This probably wouldn't bother you as much, but I still couldn't recommend the story. I will pick up the next one.

Samantha@WLABB said...

I have been so bummed out by the reviews for this book. Like you, I loved the first Jane book. I am scared to read this because reviews have been so meh. =/

Unknown said...

i've been hearing good things about the series. bit hesitant to try reading it since i haven't read jayne eyre yet.

Carina Olsen said...

Stunning review Rachel :D This was a four star for me, but I agree about everything, haha. I loved Charlotte and Alexander the most too. And really needed more romance as well. Ugh. Thank you for sharing. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...