Thursday 31 March 2016

Bookish (and Not So Bookish) Thoughts #3


Both Jasprit and I are trying to get a little healthier, and more active so we're tracking our progress through #FitReaders down below. It's a check in that helps keep us motivated to keep active. But also we wanted to share what we're reading and a little of what's going on in our lives by participating in Bookish (and Not So Bookish) Thoughts hosted by Bookishly Boisterious.  So here we go!

What we've been reading:
(click on title for Goodreads link)

Rachel:
(Click on title for Goodreads link)
 Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8) Chase Me (Paris Nights #2) Lake of Dreams
Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)  The Visitor (Graveyard Queen, #4)

Staked and Chase Me were amazing! Both 5
star reads for me.  Luke Daniels, once again makes The Iron Druid Chronicles come alive! There were times I seriously worried for the fate of our characters, and there were moments of sadness, for a lot of the book I laughed my ass off!  Staked ended on a very good note, I can't help but worry.  I was left a little uncertain, like Atticus at the end. Chase Me (my review) was utterly delightful, and pure perfection! Lake of Dreams, a novella, was different from the normal Linda Howard's I've read in that it was a paranormal romance. Short, sensual, and eerie! Loved it. Fool Me Twice has been wonderful! Another book on my radar thanks to Keertana! I'm almost done.  I'm starting The Visitor very soon. Hopefully the romance won't be too frustrating. This is one series where the romance drives me bonkers, but I can't help but keep reading! Go figure.

Jasprit:



My last three reads have been a mixed batch, I was thoroughly excited for my copy of Summer Skin  being a huge fan of Eagar's work, but I just didn't end up clicking with this book. However I may be the black sheep when it comes to this book, as a lot of bloggers and readers I know really enjoyed it. Contreras has been my go to author this month, who would have thought I would be reading back to back NA books? And actually wanting more? Seems like this and fantasy are the only genres working for me right now. Also I found out just the other day that Contreras has new book released in this series from Victor's perspective, its like all my wishes are coming true! And Undecided was another NA book I ended up loving, the characters were such a fun bunch, look out for my review sometime next week. 

What we've been up to:

 Rachel:

I went wine tasting last Friday and then went onto San Francisco the next day, coming home on Sunday. It was a busy weekend, but I had fun. The weather was perfect and sunny, and so many things were in bloom. I forget how gorgeous California can be in the spring! 

One of the wineries I visited


With all that said, I didn't have much time for exercise over the weekend, but I did force myself to do my usual 35 minute neighborhood walk/jog on Sunday when I got back. 

Jasprit:

So the wedding season has finally kicked off in my family, we had one this weekend, but it wasn't that close, I have three close ones coming up over the next few months, which I'm super excited about and I've finally got my shopping for the weddings done! That's only my Indian clothes, I still need to buy all the jewellery and accessories to match. I'll leave you with a video of Kudos the DJ on Sunday night, they did a nice mash up of Happy by Pharell Williams and an Indian beat with dhols! (a double headed drum!)







#FitReaders is hosted by Jen @That's What I'm Talking About and Felicia @TheGeekyBlogger.

Here's our progress for the last week:

Rachel:

I spent a lot of hours in the car Saturday and Sunday so I'm amazed I even made my goal! I'm tired this week, but I'm still making time to exercise.  Having a few friends on Fitbit helped motivate me even when I just wanted to sit down and do nothing.

Thursday:  13,585 steps
Friday:  9,371 steps-wine tasting, so it's a wonder I got this many steps!
Saturday: 10,428 steps 
Sunday: 10,091 steps-walk/jog 35 min
Monday: 15,593 steps walk/jog 35 min
Tuesday: 13,643 steps walk/jog 35 min
Wednesday:  13,577 steps-Spin Bike for 60 min
Total steps: 86,288 steps

Jasprit:

I was quite proud of myself this last week, despite being tempted to scoff all the Easter eggs, I ended up going to the gym twice, plus with two classes too! I decided to try a different circuits class this week with a different teacher and about died, this guy so knew how to mix it up well during the session that I was ready for my bed as soon as I got home! But I've also been off from week this week that I counted my steps, so I'm pleased I'm able to fit so many steps in. I got my new Fitbit Surge last week and I'm a little obsessed, it definitely gives me the extra motivation to work that much harder. Also I'm looking forward to starting these challenges on there, so if you have a Fitbit let me know I'd love to add you on there! 

Thursday: 10,960 steps
Friday: 8,414 steps
Saturday: 7,468 steps 
Sunday: 5,317 steps
Monday: 8,347 steps
Tuesday: 18,411 steps (includes my circuit class)
Wednesday: 11,344 steps
Total steps: 70,258 steps



24 comments:

Ksenia said...

@Rachel I actually added Fool Me Twice to my tbr after Keertana’s review; I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it too. And I hope to have a chance to read Paris Nights soon. The photo of the wineries is absolutely gorgeous. And we still have snow in Moscow. sad face.

@Jasprit Sorry to hear Summer Skin didn’t work for you, I want to read this book so much. I see a lot of love for Undecided among my friends. I definitely need to check it out.

Jenny said...

LOOK AT YOU TWO! Kicking fitness ass, one step at a time. GO GIRLS GO!!! I really should keep track of my steps each day, I think I'd do decently since I take Gracie for multiple walks during the day. Not sure I hit 10,000 though. I'm so impressed with you both!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I keep seeing bloggers enjoying FitReaders...and I'm tempted.

I love Napa and wine tasting...I spent a week there a few years ago, luxuriating in it all. Love that photo of the arbor.

Here's MY BOOKISH THURSDAY POST

Keertana said...

You two are so incredibly inspirational--I need to hike up my activity to keep up!

Anyhow, I'm so glad you enjoyed Fool Me Twice, Rachel, and I similarly adored Chase Me! :) Also, can I just say that a Friday spent wine-tasting sounds AMAZING? I can't wait till that, too, is my life. ;)

Jasprit, I'm sorry Summer Skin didn't work out for you! I've been loving it but I'm glad to see Undecided was a hit since I definitely want to pick it up next. Also, I am so jealous you have so many weddings coming up! Indian weddings are the best so have SO much fun and eat so much wonderful food!

I'm glad you ladies had a great month--here's to an even better April!

Eva @ All Books Considered said...

Rachel, I didn't know you lived near SF! We are probably only a few hours apart! Lake of Dreams was a different Linda but also good and such a quick read! Adding Fool Me Twice to my TBR!

Jaspirit, I LOVED Undecided and can't wait to read Summer Skin!!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

We are finally getting spring weather here in Portland, and I have been out every day walking. It feels so good, and of course, I always take an audiobook with me. Just finished Marked in Flesh. I will be watching for your review, Rachel, of Staked. I really love Owen. Jasprit, I am starting Undecided soon, I hope I like it.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Great job to both of you on your steps! I joined a gym about a month ago and I'm trying really hard to make it at least every other day or so. Some weeks are better than others. hah I am so curious about getting a Fitbit though because it would be great to track my steps and maybe do FitReaders; I could use more motivation in my life!

-Lauren

Joy said...

Ack. You guys are doing amazing work with trying to get fit. I can't say the same for myself. I've been having pains on my heels (both, if you can believe it) so my walking or any type of movement has been limited. It sucks. I really should get it checked.

Anyway, you ladies are the best. Keep up the good work!

Nick said...

Wow! You guys are doing so great with the walking and exercising! I've been walking/running daily too and it really does make a difference to your body.
I'm really excited that you're enjoying more NA books, Jasprit. I hope you find some other gems.
I really enjoyed Summer Skin, so I'm a little sad you didn't click with it. :(
Rachel, I have Fool Me Twice on my list of HR books to check out and the fact that you enjoyed it is giving me motivation to try it out too.
Thanks for the recap, ladies! I always enjoy reading about what you guys were up to! <3

Kristin said...

@Rachel - I'm hoping to get to the wineries at Napa one of these days!!! You had a great week, stepwise!!! Don't you love how the challenges or even just where you are on the friend's leaderboard can motivate you to get in more steps?

@Jaspirit - How do you like the Surge? I just got the Alta and I'm really liking it, but it definitely doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the other ones did. I had the One before but that was getting old and wouldn't hold the charge. I'll send you a friend request if you want...I'm already friends with Rachel :) The more friends, the merrier, right?

Have a great week, ladies!!!

Carina Olsen said...

Yay :D You are both amazing for doing this. Thank you for sharing Jasprit and Rachel. <3 I am just repeating myself here, lol, but I need to start this too. Just. Never enough time o.O Ahh. But you girls are doing so well :D YAY. And yay for reading lots of books too :) And oh, spring in America. I am jealous. Still lots of snow outside, and just about zero C outside, and no green until late May sometime. Ugh. I want pretty spring too :)

Jasprit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jasprit said...

I've not had a Fitbit watch before this, so I'm really liking it, I was considering returning it at first because I thought it was too big for me, but I'm liking all the different things I can do with it. And yes that's cool about the friend request, it will definitely motivate me to take more steps and workout :)

Kristin said...

@Jasprit - I sent you a Friend request...it will come up as Kris :)

Jeann @ Happy Indulgence said...

It's a shame Summer Skin didn't quite work for you Jasprit! Keen to hear your thoughts coming up and weddings are always fun.

Rachel it sounds like you've been keeping fit which is great! That wine tasting tour sounds like it was lots of fun!

Alyssa said...

You two are superwomen! I need to get in better shape. I'm not unhealthy (I really REALLY watch what I eat, and most people tell me I'm a stick), but I know that exercise is lacking in my life. -_- Perhaps after I finish undergrad. :D I am SO glad to see that you enjoyed Undecided! Quite possibly my favorite NA book ever. I highly recommend Julianna Keyes' adult books (Time Served, In Her Defense)!

Fantastic post, ladies! Keep up the great work with everything!

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Rachel said...

I don't live in SF. I actually live in Southern California but traveled up there to see family early in the morning after wine tasting at SoCal central coast wineries. I went up again this last weekend which is why I've been MIA. I'm totally bushed, but I had fun both weekends! I'm looking forward to being a homebody this coming weekend! :)

Hope you enjoy Fool Me Twice! It was a lot of fun.

Rachel said...

I hope you love Fool Me Twice, Ksenia! I know you love audiobooks as much as I do and I wholeheartedly recommend the audio version. Hope you get some spring sunshine in your neck of the woods soon!

Rachel said...

Thanks again for your awesome recommends, Keertana! I'm looking forward to your review of Chase Me. Pure fun!

Yes, wine tasting is lovely! Works out all kinds of every day life frustrations. Lol! :)

Rachel said...

Happy to hear you're getting more sunshine, Heidi! It can really hinder exercise when you have dreary weather.

I'm looking forward to your review of Marked in Flesh. I think I'm gonna be lazy and just stick to my short review of Staked on Goodreads. I love Owen, too. I'm sad about everything that happened to the Pack! I'm sad that Atticus was partially responsible. :/

Rachel said...

Fitbit does really help with motivation. Especially if you have friends. Seeing their steps is a great motivator to get you going, too! I'm happy to hear you're more fitness conscious as well! :)

Rachel said...

Thanks, Kristin! It is motivating to see my friends kicking butt with their steps because it makes me want to do more. No more vegging out on the couch after work! Lol! :)

Rachel said...

Thanks, Alyssa! It is so hard to fit exercise in when you're busy.

I'd like to try Julianna Keys' adult books! I'll add those to my TBR. :)

Genesis Sheli said...

Jasprit! I'm so happy to know you love Contreras' series of Hearts! I love it all! Did you read Torn Hearts?! And Victor's story, Elastic Hearts, is really good. I hope you like it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...