Saturday 1 February 2014

Monthly Recap: #5


Hello all! I hope you all had a wonderful reading month in January. I'm finally back to blogging after taking a short break, I did manage to get a fair bit of reading done, but I also had fun just catching up with some TV shows, which I haven't done in forever. Here's a recap of January and we all also have our poll at the end for which books you think we've been putting off for far too long from our tbr piles. 

Number of Books read:
Jasprit: 14
Rachel: 14

Highest rating:
Jasprit: 5 stars 
Rachel: 5 stars

Lowest rating:
Jasprit: DNF
Rachel: DNF

Books reviewed:
Jasprit: 
Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale

Rachel: 
Neverwas by Kelly Moore, Tucker Reed, Larkin Reed
The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams
Sweet by Erin McCarthy
Playing the Playboy by Noelle Adams
Hounded by Kevin Hearne
Soulless by Gail Carriger
The Chocolate Temptation by Laura Florand

Best read of last month:
Jasprit: I have two books: Fire by Kristin Cashore and Maybe One Day by Melissa Cantor. I was extremely looking forward to Fire, and I'm glad to say that it did not disappoint, once again the world that Cashore created was just gorgeous. I devoured Myabe One Day in one day, it was such a heartbreaking yet beautiful read, if I recommend one book you buy this month, it's definitely this one.

Rachel: 
The Chocolate Temptation and Soulless are a tie for me. I utterly adore Laura Florand's writing. She writes layered characters, gorgeous prose and beautifully sensual romances!  Soulless was complete wicked fun!

Book which surprised me the most: 
Jasprit: No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale. The reviews for this book had been really off putting, but seriously this book couldn't have come at a more better time for me, it had a nice mystery, it was fun and full with many laugh out loud moments

Rachel: Sweet. I wasn't expecting to like Jessica, the main protagonist because I didn't care for her in the previous book where she was a secondary character.

Fictional crush of the month:
Jasprit: Brigan from Fire and Calvin from Maybe One Day. These two characters were just so perfect, they went on to show exactly how guys should behave in your time of need. 

Rachel:
Patrick Chevalier from The Chocolate Temptation! Oh, my! He just melted my heart and other bits! ;)

Three books I'm most looking forward to this month:
Jasprit: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore. I really did want to save this book for a later date, but I don't think I could hold off much longer.
Split Second by Kasie West. My lovely copy arrived this week and honestly I can't wait to dive back into this fantastic world.
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. I've seen that some bloggers have already received their copies of their books (I'm still waiting on mine to be dispatched :( ). But I seriously need some more Warner in my life! 

Rachel: 
Four Seconds to Lose by K.A. Tucker. I loved both of her NA titles so I'm hoping this is just as good.  Snow Kissed by Laura Florand which is a novella (adult) about a married couple working things out. It sounds emotional and amazing!

Bookish Photo:
Los Angeles Central Public Library.

It’s the kids section and I almost died when I saw it. It would’ve been my heaven to go there when I was little and pick out books to read. I always loved my trips to the library when I was a little kid! (Rachel)


Readers Vote! 
And now to the fun bit where we want you guys to take part. Rachel and I have enormous tbr piles, so we've decided that each month we will let you decide what we need to read asap. Last month you picked Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins for me and The Collector by Victoria Scott for Rachel. This month you guys get to choose a book just for me.

*blogger seems to have a mind of its own lately, so just in case this poll doesn't appear on this page, you can vote for your favourite in the poll in the side bar.

Which book should Jasprit read this month?

13 comments:

Pavan said...

Ah I am so happy you loved Fire, Jasprit!! It is my favourite Kristin Cashore book.
And Rachel, your review and the fact that it's a tie for your best read book of the month makes me really want to read Soulless!

Looks like you both have had a great month!
Pavan @ Keep it Fictional

Siiri said...

"Patrick Chevalier from The Chocolate Temptation!" Hahahahaha, why am I not surprised by this. LOL. I hope you enjoy 4StL. It was a decent book. OHHH and I love library pictures! I approve :)

Well, Jasprit, I hope you enjoy Ignite Me. I don't think I'll ever read the series, or if I do give it a try again, I'll just.. idk. Wait until the boom is over, because the loving is just beyond ridiculous for this series lol. Plus, Nick got me Pivot Point as you know and I couldn't be more excited to read it.

I hope this new month will be full of exciting things/books to both of you!

maya said...

Friday Brown is utterly amazing - I'd definitely recommend you read that one, Jasprit!

Keertana said...

Jasprit, you have no idea how excited I am that you enjoyed Fire! It's my all-time favorite book ever and Brigan is just all kinds of swoon! ;)

Rachel, yayyy for Patrick! I adored The Chocolate Temptation and Snow-Kissed is phenomenal. I recently read another Florand novella, Turn Up the Heat, which was also excellent so I'd recommend that one as well. :)

Unknown said...

Great month, ladies! I hope February will be as eventful. :)

Jas, so happy you loved Fire. I absolutely adore that series. Though I wasn't much of a fan of Bitterblue. I hope you'll enjoy it.

Rachel, I haven't read the Chocolate series but I've been seeing that on my GR feed, also Soulless.

Anyway, have a great one, ladies. :)

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I need more Warner in my life as well!!! Also I've been hearing great things about soulless, I need to check it out!!

Unknown said...

Ooh, Patrick Chevalier is the perfect book crush. I'm hoping to get all caught up on the Amour et Chocolat series and read Snow Kissed as well.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time away, Jasprit!

Thanks for the recap, ladies!

Book Blather said...

I'm glad Soulless was a hit, that's on my TBR! As is Sweet... and like you I wasn't 100% on her character in the first book, so I'm looking forward to seeing her in a different light in this one - and meeting those brothers again! :-)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Love that photo, Rachel! I would have adored a children's section like that when I was little. I always loved visiting the library.

Welcome Back, Jasprit! Glad you had a nice break.

Carina Olsen said...

Awesome recap you guys :D And ahh! So glad that you loved Fire. <3 One of the best books. Sigh. Brigan is amazing :) I really hope you will read Bitterblue soon and that you will love it. <3

Jess said...

Oh, I haven't heard of Maybe One Day I'll have to look it up! I can't get over the kid's section in that library. Hope you guys have a fantastic month in reading for February! :)

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you liked Fire!! I'm not certain you'll love Bitterblue as much, but I'm always a bit surprised that a lot of people didn't like Fire. I can't wait to see what you think of Fire (if you review it), and hopefully you'll love Bitterblue too! {I finally coughed up the $15 for a hardcover copy of it so I have the full trilogy now :) }

Lauren @ Love is not a triangle said...

I want to know what you both DNFed! Jasprit, I love how much you've gotten into fantasy with the Graceling series. I still haven't read Fire, but I love that you enjoyed it so much that you can't wait longer to read Bitterblue. Rachel, I need to get on that Paris and chocolate series. Sounds right up my alley! I really liked Four Seconds to Lose and I hope you do too. Love these monthly posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...