Friday 6 March 2015

Review: Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Date: September 9th 2014
My rating: 3 stars 



On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton’s laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road. Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect?


Falling into Place really was a beautifully written debut from Zhang; she was able to weave a story of loss, hope and friendship exquisitely. To be honest I didn’t really like our MC Liz, yes I appreciated getting to know her character better with the flashbacks that we were given over time, but they didn’t really make me like her anymore. But at the same time I did really feel sorry for her, she had nobody her mum was constantly working away, one of her best friends had turned to drugs and the other one was going through her own problems. I could see how the silence at home could be unbearable, but the only way Liz could deal with it was by getting totally wasted and forgetting everything. Also I knew the flashbacks were there to give us a better understanding of Liz’s character, but some of the things she did, she could be so hateful at times, totally ruining people’s lives and when you thought that Liz would take that step to make things better again, she just wouldn’t. Another thing despite the horrid things she did you still had people sweet like Liam hanging on to Liz, I just couldn’t get why. 

My feelings about Liz aside, I did like how Zhang gave us this story, we were able to learn about our characters through many different perspectives. It was horrible seeing them go through so much heartache, but in the end one thing still brought them together and that was Liz. Liz wasn’t the most caring character, but she was the rock that kept everything stuck together, no one really realised just how much dependent they had become on Liz until there was the chance that she wouldn’t be around anymore.

From the beginning I had all but given up hope on Liz surviving, she had planned everything in such an articulate way and had given up on everything. The way that Zhang had told the story it did seem that Liz wouldn’t make it, but as the story progressed and more characters started coming through and sharing their stories of Liz, the more I didn’t want Liz to die, I wanted her to keep on fighting because life has so much to offer.

I wasn’t able to form the best connection with Liz’s character; I just kept alternating between feelings of disappointment and annoyance. But characters such as Julia and Liam definitely made up for this lack of connection, seeing Liz’s character and life through their and many other characters eyes did at times make me see things differently. And for that I’m grateful for. Falling into Place was a story I had been expecting to be an emotional wreck over, but surprisingly I wasn’t, but nevertheless it was a beautifully written debut.



10 comments:

Allie @ Little Birdie Books said...

Oh, Jas, NOOOOOO. See, I'm the opposite because I actually liked Liz. I mean, I hated her, but I liked her. There was something about her that I found redeeming, despite how awful she was. She was just so self-destructive and yet she couldn't stop herself. It was odd, but I just felt like I desperately wanted things to work out for her.

sha said...

Uh-oh. To actually like the main character is a big thing for me. Whenever I hated a character, especially the lead character, I tend to lose my interest to read and finish the book.

This book seems to mirror real life situations though. I don't think it's my type of read. Anyway, fantastic review Jasprit!

Keertana said...

I felt the same way about this one, Jasprit! I didn't feel that emotional connection and I really wanted to feel more for these characters, but I just didn't. I think the themes explored in this are important for young readers but it just wasn't my favorite debut like it became for many other readers. Lovely, articulate review, dear! :)

Anonymous said...

I've heard that Liz wasn't the most likeable character. I just don't think this is the kind of book for me. I usually need that emotional connection to enjoy the story. Plus, part of me just dislikes reading suicide books. They ruin my days.
I'm glad you liked parts of this book though, Jasprit.
Lovely review!

Lauren @ Love is not a triangle said...

Unlikable characters are tricky for me. I sometimes like them, but I need to make a connection to the characters to be able to enjoy a story, and often that makes it tough to happen. Suicide books are also tricky for me and there have been so many out there recently that I've just had to avoid them. However, I'mg lad you were able to find some good things in this story, including the beautiful writing. Great review.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful review. I've been meaning to read this book for quite some time. It sounds quite sad - and, as another commenter said, there have been quite a lot of books dealing with suicide lately. The premise sounds intriguing though.

Melanie said...

Aw I'm sorry that you didn't end up liking this one! This was actually one of my favourite reads of 2014 so I'd be lying if I said that my heart didn't break when I saw that you rated this 3 stars.

Carina Olsen said...

Great review Jasprit. <3 I'm glad you liked this book, but I'm sorry you had some issues with it :\ I had the eARC months before it came out, but I peeked, and I didn't want to read it afterall :p So didn't buy it either. Sigh. Not for me, hah :D But I'm glad you didn't hate it :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie. <3

K.E. Hamilton @ Romance and Sensibility said...

I was surprised to learn this author was 18-years-old when she got this book deal. I heard a great interview with her on the Bookrageous podcast and it put this book on my radar.

But, wow all these 2015 books about teens planning suicide is kind of dark. This is the third book like this I've seen the other two being I Was Here and My Heart and Other Black Holes

Faye M. said...

I'm glad to see that despite the lack of emotional connection, you were still able to enjoy this book, Jasprit! This sounds heart-breaking in a way... I'm sure the ending will give us happiness, but it's usually the journey and how a character gets to that stage and the emotional turmoil that they come across that get to me!

Faye at The Social Potato

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...