Wednesday 11 March 2015

Review: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
Publisher: Balzer + Bray 
Publication Date: October 14th 2014 
My rating: 4 stars


A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making. Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since. Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again. So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

Snow like Ashes was recommended to me as fantasy at its best, and I can say that it really was a superb read. The world that Raasch created was exquisite, having four seasons out to try and decimate one another poor Winter was really done for, but the last few inhabitants had hope that they could bring back Winter to what it used to be.

Raasch did a great job at completely throwing us into the story, a few members of Winter had gone off to find the missing conduit, it was a dangerous mission as they had located it in the Spring (a place which wasn’t too willing to help Winter). The returned but had been unsuccessful, Mather the future king was selected to go back, but Meira who was  raised by Winterians puts herself forward, poor girl was never allowed to do anything, so I was rooting for her to go. Meira was a fantastic character, as an orphan she was bought up by Sir; a great general of Winter, she trained her utmost hardest, but was always left behind when it came to doing things for Winter. I did have my suspicions about why this could be, but never would have guessed the real reason. But also it was an awful thing to experience too, she was always having these constant doubts that she wasn’t good enough for Winter, furthermore when further events kicked off she felt like a used pawn, which she had every right to be. Decisions were made on her behalf by Sir and Mather without consulting her and she was forced into situations she didn’t want to be in for the greater good of Winter. If I were in Meira’s situation I would have been fuming too, but after a little struggle Meira tried to be as obedient as she could, however I’m glad that she didn’t completely disregard her suspicions that she had.

The plot and world building like I said earlier were fantastic, there was constantly always something happening and with Winter with its back against the wall, you wanted them to come out strong anyway possible. I also loved the fantastic set of characters that Raasch created; with fierce Meira and Mather and Sir. My only issue I had was with the love triangle which sort of developed. I honestly wanted Meira to end up with the guy we were introduced to in the beginning, but he sort of took a step back early on, which frustrated me to no end, I know he probably thought he was doing it for the greater good, But I genuinely believe that something could develop between these two, I could see that spark there. And then when there was the introduction of this other character, I had my suspicions, was he really that nice and did he really have feelings for Meira? As the book progressed you do get to know these characters that bit more and find out what they’re really like, but (highlight to view spoiler) I hated that the love triangle was left unresolved at the end of this book. And the last thing was that something major goes down in this book, I was so upset about it, but after reading on thought it was the right thing to happen, (highlight to view spoiler) but when this character is brought back to life, I was happy about it, but felt it had a bigger compact on the story, when Sir had been killed off.

These minor problems aside, Snow like Ashes was a genuinely excellent read. I enjoyed the ride that Raasch took us on with this wonderful story. Although I did assume that this was going to be a standalone read, I am looking forward to continuing this journey with this great set of characters.





13 comments:

Danielle said...

Ahhh I need to read this sooooon! It sounds so good, I love the premise, so unique and that cover! Swoon Great review Jasprit

Joy said...

Oh man. It seems like I'm the only one who didn't really enjoy this book. I thought it didn't offer much out of the ordinary. :( And I didn't like that the the heroine's strengths took a backseat over marrying a prince to strengthened a kingdom. Oh and don't even get me started on the talks about gowns. Oh the gowns. Please.

Lol. Sorry. :)

Jenny said...

YAY JASPRIT!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one overall even with your love triangle issues and that of the other spoiler:) The triangle didn't bother me mostly because Meira didn't make a big deal out of it, but I'm curious to see how things progress for the three of them in the next book. Can't wait!

Dana said...

I really enjoyed this one as well. The world was incredible. I agree with you that the love triangle wasn't the greatest part of this one. I can't wait for the sequel!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you liked this one as much as I did. The world building was fascinating and I loved how intricate it was. Like Jenny, I wasn't bothered much by the love triangle, which is a first for me! I do hope she makes a decision at the end of the next book though.
Wonderful review, Jasprit! :)

Keertana said...

World-building and characters are always really important for a fantasy so I'm glad those elements are done well. I've heard mainly positive things about this so I'm curious to see how the series progresses before diving in myself. Gorgeous review, Jasprit! :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I liked the world buildling and characters as well. Wasn't thrilled with the triangle and I honestly felt like she would be better off with the second suitor. I usually pick the wrong one. Sigh....

Teresa Mary Rose said...

I love it when fantasy is done well with good world building. This one has been on my TBR for a while now so I really need to get to it soon. Great review!

Carina Olsen said...

Awesome review Jasprit :D I'm so glad you mostly loved this book. <3 I'm still curious about it, but so turned-off by the stupid love triangle :( WHYYYY. I'm not reading this until I have the sequel. And have peeked all over to see that there IS NOT kissing of both boys. If there is, I'm staying far away from this series, lol :) Anyway. Gorgeous review sweetie. <3 I'm glad you loved it :)

Faye M. said...

GAHH!! Like you, I also was left feeling pretty meh at the love triangle (especially since I'm leaning towards the first one as well bahaha) but everything else was simply perfection to the highest degree! I'm so happy that you loved this one, babe! I can't wait for book 2 :D

Faye at The Social Potato

Unknown said...

Loving this review!

Anonymous said...

This is one of those books I'm avoiding because I hate love triangles, especially when the hero/ heroine doesn't choose the person I want for them, lol. Other than that the book sounds promising. Fab review, Jasprit!

Beena said...

I think I creeped your blog so much, I ended up in the beginning of March lol xD I liked the negative reviews you post as well, it shows you're honest - This book is next on my TBR and I'm happy that you really liked it! I'm going to pick it up either today or tomorrow, lovely review overall <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...