Wednesday 20 September 2017

Short & Tweetish Review: A Gentleman Never Surrenders by Lauren Smith

I've had so much going on in real life and training for a half marathon is taking up so much of my time I think I'll be posting shorter reviews for a a while. Short & Tweetish Reviews (There's no way I can keep it to 140 characters!) style of reviewing was introduced to me by Mary@The Book Swarm  and Karen's @For What It's Worth.

A Gentleman Never Surrenders (Sins & Scandals #2) by Lauren Smith
Publisher:  Forever Yours
Publication date: September 12th 2017
My rating: 4 Stars
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | iBooks

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33199875-the-good-daughter
Love is worth a little scandal.

Owen Hadley needs a wife. Preferably a wealthy one. Alas, there aren't a great number of heiresses willing to marry a rogue of no particular fortune---luckily, if there is ever a gentleman capable of melting a lady's chilly heart, it's Owen.

Milly has had enough of the marriage mart. If matrimony means giving up her freedom for a foppish husband, then society can take their idea of marital bliss and toss it. But when the ton's most notorious rogue mistakenly makes his way into her bedchambers, Milly finds herself unexpectedly and unwillingly at the altar . . .

Yet the more time she spends with her new husband, the more Milly starts to wonder if the marriage she never wanted may be the best thing that's ever happened to her. Now it's up to Owen to convince Milly that what started as a mistake is anything but---and that every night with him will be more wonderfully scandalous than the last.
 
My Thoughts:
Couldn't help but think Owen was some sort of a fortune seeking dirt-bag at first, but as I got to know his reasons, I couldn't help but soften towards this man. Owen wanted a marriage of love no matter the crappy start, so I admired his efforts.  Loved Milly soooo much! She was a sweetheart despite her initial goals and dreams being dashed (in her mind, only at first) by Owen's ruining. The physical part was no problem for these two and very hot, but the emotional bonds took a while to build, and I loved every step! 

There was a surprising amount of emotional depth for such a short amount of pages. Loved this story so much, and I'll be checking out more by Lauren Smith for sure.  Thanks to Alyssa at Eater of Books for the recommendation!


 

Connect with Lauren Smith:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads


8 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Yay :D So glad you enjoyed this one. <3 Lovely short review Rachel :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts. <3 Hugs. It's awesome when you first dislike a character, but then later on ends up loving that same character the most :)

Nick said...

I've got to give this one a try! The plot sounds right up my alley!
Glad you enjoyed it, Rachel!

Blodeuedd said...

I like a short tweetish :)

Mystica said...

I like the sound of this one. Thanks for the review.

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I love when a character can surprise you and soften up. I'm glad you enjoyed this one and good luck with your marathon training!

Lily B said...

glad the hero grew on you and that there was a build up in romance!

Alyssa said...

YAAAASSS! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, Rachel! I was also very skeptical of Owen but his rationale was sound, even if his proposed methods weren't. I will definitely be looking out for more by this author. Wonderful review, Rachel!

Have a lovely weekend. =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Rachel said...

I'll definitely be on the look out for more by Lauren Smith, too. Thanks for putting her on my radar! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...