Friday 15 December 2017

Review: The Art of Running in Heels (Chinooks Hockey Team #7) by Rachel Gibson

The Art of Running in Heels (Chinooks Hockey Team #7) by Rachel Gibson
Publisher: Avon
Publication date: 26th December 2017
My rating: 4 stars  


Running in five-inch stilettos is an art form. Leaving your fiancé at the altar on live television is a disaster. Lexie Kowalsky thought she was ready to get married in front of millions of people, but at the last minute she fled the set of television’s hottest reality show, Gettin’ Hitched. Wearing a poofy white dress and a pair of five-inch sparkly shoes, Lexie hopped a float plane for Sandspit, Canada. She figured no one would find her there. But she was wrong. Sharing her flight was the Seattle Chinooks biggest star, Sean Knox. Lexie wasn’t just a reality-show runaway, she was his pain in the butt coach’s daughter. She was chaos and temptation and definitely off limits, but getting her luscious body out of that wedding gown, he couldn’t resist getting her in his bed for one amazing night Then a photo of Sean and Lexi breaks the internet—and suddenly they’re both swept up in a crazy plan to spin the whole story. But you can’t run from love.

Reading a book by Rachel Gibson has been a long time coming and now after finishing The Art of Running in Heels, I feel like kicking myself for not trying her books sooner, as this book was such a delight to read. I’ve always been a fan of sports romances in books, but lately with books featuring hockey I’ve been devouring and I’ve kind of become hooked to these big hockey stars prowling around everywhere. And with The Art of Running in Heels, Gibson gives us an excellent mix of sports romance and fake relationship trope. It really was done well, as aspects of Lexie and Sean’s scenes I wasn’t sure if it was all an act or actual genuine emotions that the characters felt for each other. Yes, Lexie’s original plan of getting together was so that it would improve her reputation, but I loved the way that things actually played out. I also kept forgetting at times that both Sean and Lexie only really knew each other for such a short period of time, but Gibson really made their relationship believable and their feelings really realistic. What I liked the most about Lexie’s character was that a lot of people assumed what she was like, and their judgement couldn’t have been more wrong, Lexie really had a lot to deal with especially with the spur of the moment decision she made to leave Pete from reality show Gettin’ Hitched on their wedding day, of course this would bring about a lot of backlash for Lexie, but I admired her strength, to try and bring her reputation back any means necessary. Also, she had a business which was on the brink of success, which she couldn’t let it go down the toilet, with all her hard work. Lexie really made this story for me, her extensive lists and escapades had me totally eager for more and wanting to know how things would go down. Also with a super hot hockey player roped in her plans, I knew Lexie’s adventure would be a lot of fun! Gibson was also able to give us wonderful secondary characters in Sean’s mom and Lexie’s father who honestly had me laughing so much. Like Lexie’s whole situation was serious enough, who knew what repercussions she would have to deal with, but I enjoyed the humour that Gibson bought along the way. There was one thing later on which I wished hadn’t gone down, but I think it was completely necessary for a certain someone to realise that they were making one of the biggest mistakes ever. This is my first book in the Chinooks Hockey Team series, but after reading The Art of Running in Heels, it certainly won’t be my last! I need more hot hockey players and swoony romances in my life!



8 comments:

Nick said...

Nereyda loves Rachel Gibson, and I've really enjoyed a couple of books I've read from her as well. I need to give this one try. The couple sounds adorable!
Great review, Jasprit!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I read a review for this one last week and it sounds like a fun little read. I need to try this author. Going to see if I can get this from my library.

Sophia Rose said...

My first book by her wasn't a good outing for me, but I'm willing to give it another go. This sounds fun. :)

Nina said...

Lexie sounds like a fun, busy character! And who doesn't love a character who makes lists! I do! :)

Carina Olsen said...

Lovely review Jasprit :D I'm glad you liked this book a bunch, despite a few issues :) It wouldn't be for me, but sounds fun even so. And oh, I love that cover. So pretty :D Thank you for sharing lovely. <3

Alyssa said...

What a cute cover! Running in heels really IS an art form. 😱 I love sports romances and fake relationships! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book overall. Hopefully you enjoy more of this author's books in the future!

Have a wonderful weekend, Jasprit. =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Karen said...

I think I read something by her a few years ago. This one sounds like a lot of fun!

For What It's Worth

Nereyda @Nick and Nereydas Infinite Booklist said...

Whoa whoa, this is your first Gibson book??? I gave this 4 stars too but she has way better books. The chinooks series is one of my favorites. My faves are Any Man of Mine, Nothing But Trouble, and True Love and Other Disasters. Theres also the first book in the series, Simply Irresistible which is how Lecies parents met and fell in love after her mom left someone at the altar too.
If you wanna try other Gibson books, Truly Madly Yours, Tangled Up In You and It Must Be Love are faves of mine too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...