Sunday 21 January 2018

Weekly Recap #21

Hi everyone, with Rachel and I's crazy work schedules, we miss sharing whats going on with us. We used to have a lot of fun with our Showcase Sunday posts, so thought we'd do something regular on the blog, where we share bookish news and life news in general as a weekly recap! We've decided to link our weekly wrap up's with The Sunday Post hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer.

Hi all, I'm finally back, I'm so sorry about the long absence, I got really sick at the end of November, that I couldn't do much, and then we had a holiday planned, and it was a bit all over the place whether  we would be going or not, but we managed to make it. I couldn't even post on here where I was going, as it was meant to be a surprise visit for my cousins in Canada, but we had a great time, even with the freezing temperatures, its was -21 at times! It was definitely nice starting the new year in a different country, as usually when I'm back home, I'm not feeling the beginning of the year. Now that I'm back, I'm hoping to get back to regular posting, my reading is all over the place, so we'll see, but thank you to Rachel, for being such a great friend and dealing with everything whilst I was away! 

WHAT I READ/REVIEWED 

Jasprit:
(Click on title for Goodreads link)



A mixed sort of reading year so far, I had high hopes for Once and For All, but it took me the longest time to read and even then I wasn't a fan. I thought starting the year of with a are-read would be perfect, but I didn't even end up enjoying Kulti as much the second time around, what is wrong with me! 

Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)


So I had a pretty good reading week. I rated all of these 3.5 or 4 stars.  Merry and Bright was a short and cute.  Fragments of the Lost started out slow, but I'm so glad I hung in there because it ended up being really good!  Keep Her Safe took a while for me to get into, and was a bit predictable but I ended up enjoying it. Final Siege was a fantastic romantic suspense/second chance romance! I hope to have my review up next week.

BOOKS RECEIVED 
Jasprit 
(Click on title for Goodreads link)


Its been such a long time since I've read something by Ally Carter, I've loved her Heist Society series, so I have high hopes for this book! 

Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)


I had UNSUB in my TBR for sometime now but I requested an audio copy once I saw that Brandie over at Running on Words and Wine enjoyed it.  Plus, I saw the Zodiac, a movie about the Zodiac Killer, a serial killer who terrorized the San Francisco area in the late 1960s early '70s, and was totally riveted!  UNSUB is inspired by those events and so I'm really intrigued.  I got a copy of The Sometimes Sisters because I love Carolyn Brown's stories!


NEW TO MY TBR
Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link)

 

Mariana Zapata has a new book out! *flails* there's not a lot of information about it so far, but it's out next month and I can't wait 


Rachel:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link) 


 So I've seen 738 Days around for a while, had a few friends read and mostly love it and when the second one came out (which is a standalone), I became interested again.  I requested it from the library so we'll see when I get to it.  I really enjoyed the first Lost Platoon book so I'm eager to pick up Off the Grid. I added it to my TBR so I wouldn't forget, and hopefully I get an ARC. :)

  WHAT I'M WATCHING:

Jasprit  
 

Riverdale was finally back this week, I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to, but it's a show that I just can't stop watching. Also this week's episode what is going on with Chic? he's creeping me out, but I'm liking this newest development! 

Rachel:


Haven't had much time for TV lately but I did catch up on a few episodes of The 100 and I have to say every time I sit down and think I'm just going to watch one episode I have to watch like three! It really is such a good series.  I'm in the second season now.


EVENTS OF THE WEEK

Jasprit 

 

We were lucky enough to visit this beautiful castle whilst in Canada and they had the most beautiful views, it was absolutely freezing, but the views were worth it, you can just see the CN tower in the distance! 

Rachel:

I'm in major baby shower planning mode. It's next Saturday and everything is turning out soooo cute!!  I'm super excited!  Haven't been reading except for audio books at this point.  I HOPE to post a review next week, but we'll see. I'm still sort of sick, not as bad as last week, but still have this darn cough!  I haven't been doing any exercise because it's cold and windy outside, and I want to get better.  As soon as the shower is over I plan on getting myself back on my running schedule.  I miss running, but I need to get over this sickness before I do anything.


How was your week?

22 comments:

Greg said...

Glad you had a nice visit. I think it'd be fun to spend New Year's in another country!

I've got Fragments of the Lost on my TBR, having read my first Megan Miranda last year, so I'm glad to hear it was good in spite of that slow beginning.

I love Riverdale but the episode this week was disappointing, I thought. And Chic is creepy. Not liking him lol. And I love the second season of the 100, with Mt. Weather. :)

Love that pic Jasprit!! And good luck with the shower Rachel! You guys have a great week.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Welcome back Jasprit! I'm glad you had a nice time in Canada. :)

Rachel - I hope you feel better soon. And I hope you enjoy Unsub; I really loved it, and I need to get the sequel like pronto. haha

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Jackie said...

I hope you feel better and are you the one having a baby? If so, congratulations! I live in Canada and it was blasted cold around Christmas. I LOVE 100 and you are in for one helluva time inside Mt. Weather with the mountain men and those freakin grounders. Ugh!

Blodeuedd said...

I still have not watched Riverdale :/

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

Welcome back Jasprit! Glad Fragments of the Lost was good for you Rachel. I need to get to that. I also just added Unsub to my holds at the library since I keep seeing it. Love that picture Jasprit. Good luck with the baby shower Rachel!

Nick said...

I'm glad that you are better now, Jasprit. The holiday to Canada sounds like fun, but yes that weather!
I didn't much care for Once and For All. I don't know why it didn't fully click with me. I'm so curious about From Lukov because there's no synopsis! I hope it will be everything that you hope it to be.
I'm with you on Riverdale. The show is really not that great this season. All of the characters annoy the crap out of me, especially Betty and I hate all the romances. But I'm still watching.

Rachel, I need to pick up Final Siege. It sounds wonderful! I liked the first book ok too, so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm excited to read Off the Grid too. I loved that first book.
Baby shower! I hope you have a blast.

Happy reading, ladies!

Samantha@WLABB said...

Jasprit - hope you are feeling better, and wow! It was cold in Canada. I don't think I have even been there except for in the summer. I read Kulti because it was a book people raved about. I will say, the ending was fabulous, but it was overly long. A good edit could make that book great. The theme in Once and For All just grabbed hold of my heart. When we finally found out what happened to her boyfriend, I cried, but you know, different books, different readers. I am really interested in the new Ally Carter book. Can't wait to hear what you think!

The Book Disciple said...

Welcome back Jas! Glad CA was awesome!
Rachel, I'm glad you liked Final Siege. Its coming up on my TBR! Good luck with the TBR!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have fond thoughts of Canada, especially these days...sigh.

Enjoy your books! I found Merry & Bright delightful, and read it during the Christmas season.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Katherine P said...

Being sick around the holidays is no fun but I'm glad you were able to continue with your plans. I'm not a fan of the cold temps here which are really pretty mild so I'm not sure I could handle Canada cold! Have a great week!

Rachel said...

Thanks, I hope so, too! No, not me, a close family member. :)

Jackie said...

Just FYI, my weekend post is on Jackie's Forget Me Nots I have two blogs and that needs to change I know.

Rachel said...

Lol, no worries, Jackie. :)

Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) said...

Glad to have you back Jasprit! I hope you feel better soon Rachel.

Here’s my Sunday Post!

Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

Alyssa said...

Phew, -21 degrees? No thank you!!! I can barely deal with the 6 low that we felt a few weeks ago... I'm good! Today was a high of about 60 and I'm in paradise. :D :D :D :D I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

Have a wonderful week, ladies. =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Glad to have you back, Jasprit. I put my blog on break during the holidays, I have learned it is far to hectic to try and keep up. Rachel, glad you are feeling better. Can’t wait to see your pics of the baby shower. Have a great week, ladies.

Brandie said...

Rachel, I'm sorry you're still fighting a cough. It's lingering for me, too - I'm so tired of it! I ran today, and probably shouldn't have, because the cough is worse. Ugh!! I hope you feel better this week! And I hope you enjoy Unsub!!

Jasprit - glad you're back!! I'm sorry you were sick around the holidays. Hope you have a great week!

Linda @ (un)Conventional Bookworms said...

Jasprit, I'm glad you had such a good time in Canada, even if it was really cold! I kind of like winters like that... Where I live (Geneva, Switzerland) it's a humid kind of cold, and no clothes are ever enough.
Rachel, I hope you'll feel better!
You both got some nice new books, enjoy!
Have a wonderful week and happy reading.
Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

Carina Olsen said...

Eee, missed you Jasprit :D Yay for being back. <3 And ahh, I'm sorry you were sick :\ Hope you feel better. <3 And YAY for a Canada trip :D Sounds so awesome. And yay for both of you having read lots :D So glad you ended up enjoying Fragments of the Lost Rachel. <3 Yesss. And ohh, I'm pretty curious about 738 Days. It seems awesome. And sigh. The 100 is just the best :D Hope you are both doing great. <3

EFC Chrissy said...

Jasprit - Yay for a fun New Year's! I haven't read any Sarah Dessen books yet, but I want to.

Rachel - I hope you feel better soon!

Have a great week!

Karen said...

I (mostly) enjoyed 738 Days. The sequel is super angsty. I ended up liking it anyway though.

For What It's Worth

Haddock said...

Like the cover of Love, Hate and other filters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...