Saturday 1 March 2014

Monthly Recap #6


Hi everyone, I can't believe we're already posting a recap for February! Where did this last month go? Mine mainly consisted of reading with a Starbucks, I wasn't able to do one without the other! And I had been meaning to catch up on my goal with Goodreads, but I'm still a few books behind, still February wasn't too bad of a month. Here's what Rachel and I got up to! 

Number of Books read:
Jasprit: 9
Rachel: 19

Highest rating:
Jasprit: 4 stars
Rachel: 5 stars

Lowest rating:
Jasprit: 2 stars
Rachel: 2.5 stars

Books reviewed:
Jasprit: Afterparty by Ann Redisch Stampler
The Dollhouse Asylum by Mary Gray
Twinmaker by Sean Williams
Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
Anything to Have You by Paige Harbison
Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens

Rachel: 
How to Flirt With a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper
Hope Flames by Jaci Burton
Gunmetal Magic by Illona Andrews
The Chocolate Kiss by Laura Florand
Four Seconds to Lose by K.A. Tucker
Fear Nothing by Lisa Gardner

Best read of last month:
Jasprit: It's going to have to be Unsticky by Sarra Manning, several bloggers had recommended this book to me, and I can't believe I took so long in giving it a go, I had so much fun with this adult title, that I can't wait to pick up more adult novels by Manning this month. 

Rachel: 
A Girl by Any Other Name by M.K. Schiller. It blended chapters from the past with the present and chronicled romance, mystery, and heartbreak from teenage to adult years. Sooo good!

Book which surprised me the most: 
Jasprit: Faking Normal by Coutney C Stevens, with the amount of contemporary books I read, I really don't know what I was expecting going into this story, but it was a book so gorgeously written! It's a keeper for sure. 

Rachel: 
Four Seconds to Lose by K.A. Tucker. I really thought I would love this book and while it was enjoyable overall it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. That was surprising considering how much I loved the first two.

Fictional crush of the month:
Jasprit: I'm going to have to go with Warner from the Shatter Me series, I finally finished this series and although I enjoyed this book, it did have a lot going on which I didn't expect. But Warner *sigh* I've been without him for so long and honestly he went on to show why he was worth me switching teams in Unravel Me.

Rachel:
Philippe from The Chocolate Kiss, of course! Loved how determined he was. *sigh*

Three books I'm most looking forward to this month:
Jasprit: It Felt Like a Kiss by Sarra Manning, my Sarra Manning binge will be starting with this pretty. I don't know why I hadn't already bought my copy, but thanks to a chat with Sarah @ Miss Page Turner's City of Books convinced me I needed to give this a go already!
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski. Everyone I know had loved this book and I for once my pre-ordered copy is here before release date! If you don't hear from me for the next few days, it will be because of this book! 
The Here and Now by Ann Brashares. I know the initial reviews for this book haven't been too great, but I adored Brashare's book My Name is Memory, so I'm hoping that Brashares will be able to work her magic on me with this book too! 

Rachel: 
Archetype, and Prototype by M.D. Waters. I'm super excited for Archetype and Prototype after seeing that Lauren @Love is not a triangle loved them.  
Third Degree by Julie Cross is being compared to Tammara Webber's writing and I loved Easy so I have high hopes. Also, I read and loved Tempest by her.

Bookish Photo:
February was a Starbucks and book sort of month



I went to watch The Book Thief!
You can see more of my February photos on my Instagram profile.

Yes so the weather in the UK has been utterly ridiculous as usual, I swear several times I was nearly blown away! And because it was so cold I could never function without a drink from Starbucks (have you tried the Triple Hot Chocolates yet? They were meant to be limited edition, but they're still available! Best decision ever made). And I was lucky enough to get advanced screening tickets to watch The Book Thief. I went with my friend who hadn't read the book, but she ended up loving it as much as I did. I read the book so long ago, that I could hardly remember anything, but the film did an excellent job in recapping, but also in creating such a wonderful book to movie adaptation (one of the best I have seen in a long time!) And of course me and my friend were stuck in between people who didn't even shed a single tear, whereas we were sobbing away throughout the entire second half! 

Readers Vote! 

And now to the fun bit where we want you guys to take part. Rachel and I have enormous tbr piles, so we've decided that each month we will let you decide what we need to read asap. Last month you picked A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness for me. This poll will be open until the 6th of March! 

Which book should Jasprit read this month?

10 comments:

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Oh ladies you had amazing reading month it seems. Needless to say I'm going to see The Book Thief in a few weeks (it's finally coming to our cinema) and I'm beyond excited. I have heard such amazing things about Faking Normal that I'll have to read it soon. Also everyone is talking about The Winner's Curse that it's a must. Great recap ladies :)

Carina Olsen said...

Yay :D Looks like you both had an awesome month. <3 I can't believe it's already MARCH. Time goes by so so fast. Sigh. And ahh. I cannot wait to see what you think of The Winner's Curse :D I love that book so much. <3 Already read it twice, and can't wait to read it again. So good. Anyway. I hope you both have an amazing month this March :) And happy reading. <3

Siiri said...

Oh, yay. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who read under 10 books this month :D I managed 8. My favorite reviews by you two this month were Faking Normal and How to Flirt With a Naked Werewolf ;) "Four Seconds to Lose by K.A. Tucker. I really thought I would love this book and while it was enjoyable overall it wasn't as good as I thought it would be." Yep, Rachel. Completely agree on that one. Though I did have a bit more of a tough time with it than you did. Whoop! I cannot wait for The Winner's Curse to arrive already. I need to witness that pretty cover with my own little eyes. Bhahahaha! I love how you were sobbing :D LOLs. Me and my friend always sob or have the single tear running from our eyes while everyone else has their poker face on haha. I'm an emotional reader and movie/TV-show watcher :D

Unknown said...

I always love reading you ladies' monthly recaps! I get reminded once again what books I NEED to read and what I need to prioritize (ahem, Chocolate Kiss and Faking Normal). I love your bookish photos too, such a great idea! I hope you both have even greater March!

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

19 books, way to go! :D I'm SO EXCITED for The book thief movie. I know I'm going to cry. Hard. Long. Loud, haha.

Keertana said...

Jasprit, I AM SO GLAD YOU LIKED UNSTICKY! I've re-read it so many times that it has become one of my favorite books ever, so I am absolutely THRILLED you enjoyed it as much as you did! :D Like you, I was pleasantly surprised by Faking Normal and I'm absolutely dying to read The Winner's Curse - soon! I'm just hoping that the hype doesn't ruin the novel for me, so fingers crossed we're both going to love it as much as the bloggers before us did.

Rachel, I can't wait to see what you think of Archetype and Prototype! I know Lauren really enjoyed both, so they've been shot up my TBR, but I'm curious to see what you have to say about the romance. And, yes, Philippe. *sigh*

Unknown said...

I love these recaps posts. I like finding which books left strong impressions on you (good or bad). Abd Rachel, I am dying to meet Phillipe! I hope March is another great month at Readers Den!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Ha, Jasprit, the weather in the last couple of weeks really has been crazy. I actually fell into a road because I couldn't walk straight due to the wind. So embarrassing. :D I'm so glad you're looking forward to The Winner's Curse! I can't wait to see what you think of it, and I'll definitely have to check out Faking Normal soon after all the great things I've heard about it.

Rachel, A Girl by Any Other Name is new to me, but I'll be sure to check it out. And your enthusiasm for Laura Florand's books is infectious. I definitely hope to be able to meet some of these characters soon. :)

Have a great March, ladies!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness that seemed like a busy month. Hope march will be just as fun!

Jess said...

Rachel - Wow! 19 books! Very intrigued by Third Degree especially with the comparison to Tammara Webber. I hope you enjoy that one.

Jasprit - I really need to read Unsticky and the Shatter Me series already. I hope The Winner's Curse lives up to our expectations. When I added it to Goodreads the other day I noticed every one of my friends has rated it 5 stars :O!

I hope March is full of wonderful books for both of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...