Wednesday 13 May 2015

Review: Something Real by Heather Demetrios

Something Real by Heather Demetrios
Publisher: Henry Holt BYR
Publication Date:February 4th 2014
My rating: 4 stars. 


There’s nothing real about reality TV. Seventeen-year-old Bonnie™ Baker has grown up on TV—she and her twelve siblings are the stars of one-time hit reality show Baker’s Dozen. Since the show’s cancellation and the scandal surrounding it, Bonnie™ has tried to live a normal life, under the radar and out of the spotlight. But it’s about to fall apart…because Baker’s Dozen is going back on the air. Bonnie™’s mom and the show’s producers won’t let her quit and soon the life she has so carefully built for herself, with real friends (and maybe even a real boyfriend), is in danger of being destroyed by the show. Bonnie™ needs to do something drastic if her life is ever going to be her own—even if it means being more exposed than ever before.

I am what you could say a reality TV addict, I could sit there for all the whole day just watching back to back episodes of a TV programme and the same can be said for books which have reality stars as their subject. I love getting to know these characters and how things have worked out for them with the TV show. The last book I read based on this was Jennifer’s Castle You Look Different in Real Life and it was one which I loved, now I don’t know why I took so long in picking up Something Real, because it was a story I ended up adoring.

Chloe Baker has finally got a life of her own, she had been a reality TV star with her 12 siblings and family for as long as she can remember. Having a camera following you around for nearly every second of your life doesn’t always have its perks, it really sort of wrecked things for Chloe, that when her family finally decided to give it up, it really was the best thing she could have asked for, as it very nearly ended up wrecking her life and destroying her family. So when MetaReel turns up out of the blue four years later to film Chloe’s family once more, Chloe can’t believe it. If I was in Chloe’s shoes, I would have felt exactly the same way, Chloe was just about getting on track with everything, she had even changed her name to get away from it all, so does she really want everyone to get back up in her business again?. And Chloe’s mum was the worst, okay she had a big household to look after and feed, but she was just the most inconsiderate mother I’ve come across in a while. I know she wanted to make Baker’s Dozen the best show ever, but did she have to restort to playing up for the cameras? And not listening to a thing Chloe wanted? She really made me rage in this entire book, Chloe’s dad wasn’t the greatest person either, but with Chloe’s mother it seemed like she didn’t give a crap about anybody, as long as the ratings of the show were good. Chloe had so much to deal with, keeping everything under wraps from her friends before the show went live, trying to keep her panic attacks in check and when it finally seemed like her crush Patrick Sheldon may be liking her back, MetaReel and her cameras were all up in Chloe’s face.

Patrick Sheldon definitely ended up as one of my favourite fictional crushes, he was everything that I would love in a guy in real life. He was the sweetest guy ever, always looking out for Chloe, he knew the stress she had to deal with, but was still willing to make a go of their relationship, despite knowing their faces would be plastered all over the press and their every step would be heavily scrutinised. Which guy would want to be under this constant pressure? Some of his lines just made me swoon and his sweet gestures easily left a big smile on my face. All I know is that this book has so made me want my own Patrick Sheldon!

Family paid an integral part to this story, and I’m glad Chloe did have some members of the family that she could turn to when things got tough for her. Benton was the best brother that anyone could ask for, he was there for Chloe when she needed cheering up and was willing to take her side when people like her mother didn’t. I also loved how Benton just could brighten up an entire scene with his charm and goofy ways. I also appreciated that Chloe was able to forge some stronger relationships with some of her other siblings too. Things could be rocky at times for Chloe and one particular sibling, but I’m glad that through the stress of everything this one was able to come through for her. As Chloe, really did need all the support from her friends and family that were willing to listen.

Something Real was definitely a book which I’m so glad that I picked up, it dealt with a lot of serious issues, but Demetrios was able to weave in some pleasant lighter moments too and some swoony scenes with my Patrick which I hugely appreciated. Demetrios has certainly made me want to read the rest of her books right away.





13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Jasprit. I loved this book so much and started my love affair with Heather Demetrios' books.
OMG! Patrick Sheldon is everything! <3 That boy seriously brought on all kinds of swoons. Benton was also my favorite. He was just so adorable and charming. And yeah, I felt horrible for Chloe and I don't know how she went through all that. Did you hear about the Lexie online book coming out? :)
Lovely review, Jasprit!

Jenny said...

I NEED TO READ THIS JASPRIT!!!! I've loved everything I've read of Heather's and I have a feeling this is going to be no different. I've heard only outstanding things about Patrick and I'm very, very ready to add him to my list of book boyfriends! *runs to Amazon*

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

*sigh* I'm glad this worked for you, Jasprit. It's so wonderful when a book is about something you're really interested in. Unfortunately, I haven't watched reality TV in my life, not because I have something against it, but because I simply don't have the time to watch tv at all. And besides, I've had the worst luck with this author so far. We just can't find common ground.

Faye M. said...

Hmm, I remember a book having almost the same premise 2 years ago! It was from Harperteen, too, but I can't remember the name right now, although this one probably is more family-centric while that one was more friendship-centric as it focused on 5 people from when they were kids until to their teenage years. Glad to know there is so much to look forward to in this book! I've always wanted to read this one :)

Faye at The Social Potato

Keertana said...

I'm so glad you finally picked this one up, Jasprit, and enjoyed it, too! I adore Demetrios so I highly recommend all her books. If you liked this one then I'm sure she'll become one of your favorite authors soon since her latest novels are even better than this debut. Gorgeous review, dear! :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Thsi authors definitely excels at relationships and characters. Such a departure from her book that came out this year. Sounds like an intersting read for sure.

N o v a - Z a y said...

I hate it when family is almost not a dictionary word in books so I'm so glad it's a bigger part in this one. when i first heard about it, i was like, oh this sounds cool but it wasn't big on my list because a) i'd never read this author before and because i'm not a big tv watcher. however, i read I'll Meet You There and I know this book is before I'll Meet You There so I really want to see if it's the same style.

Lovely review <3

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

Thanks for sharing this, Jasprit! I remembered wanting to get a copy of the book when it first came out but then something happened and I never got around to reading it. Seeing how much you liked Patrick and Benton, I'll have to pick up the book and see for myself. Wonderful review! :)

Joy said...

Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Jas! I can't believe I haven't bought it yet, but thankfully, Book Outlet had it for like, $5 or something. Lol. I can't wait to read this one now, too.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Uhg, can you even imagine having cameras follow you around for most of your life? And here I thought I was blessed because I didn't grow up in the age of smartphones and selfies. *shudder* And yay for stories with family in them!

Carina Olsen said...

Stunning review Jasprit. <3 I'm oh so happy you liked this book a lot :) Ugh, I wish I could read more of this genre. But I just can't imagine myself liking this book :( Which makes me sad, as you make it sound amazing. Sigh. It do look pretty cute, though :) Thank you for sharing all of your amazing thoughts about it sweetie. <3

Unknown said...

PATRICK.
I mean, I love everything about this book, but PATRICK. My gosh did I fall in love with that boy. One of the best book boyfriends ever.
But, yeah, this wasn't always an easy book to read, but Chloe is an amazing MC, and I loved her relationship with her brother too.
Great review!

Beena said...

I haven't read this novel but I loved the authors other book I'll Meet You There xD I'm so glad you enjoyed this read as well, here's to hoping I like it as well. I think I would probably have a crush on Patrick as well, more male leads like him should exist! Lovely review Jasprit <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...