Sunday 22 October 2017

Weekly Wrap Up #15

Hi everyone, with Rachel and I's crazy work schedules, we miss sharing whats going on with us. We used to have a lot of fun with our Showcase Sunday posts, so thought we'd do something regular on the blog, where we share bookish news and life news in general as a weekly recap! We've decided to link our weekly wrap up's with The Sunday Post hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer.

Jasprit 

Hi, so this week was another busy one, but in a good way, we celebrated Diwali this week and ate all the food of course, my friend also baked me some Salted Chocolate tiffins which were to die for! Yeah my diet totally went out of the window this week, but it was so worth it! I also started my Christmas shopping this week, with my birthday coming up too and the Secret Santa I'm taking part in with friends, my sister was on my case about sorting my list out for her, I've still not fully decided what I want on each list, but I shopped around this week, and added a few things. I never normally struggle with this, but this year for some reason, I couldn't think of anything that I wanted except for books! I may have to look around to see if there's any fitness things I can add on there.  

WHAT I READ/REVIEWED 
Jasprit 
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)


 I did manage to get some reading in this week, although it wasn't as much as I'd hoped and unfortunately these two books didn't leave the best impressions with me :/ Lucas actually started off brilliantly for me, but I felt like everything was wrapped up all prim and proper in the end. 



Rachel:
(click on cover for Goodreads link)


I listened to A Million Junes. The writing was beautiful, but the plot was slow going and a little convoluted to me.  I also think the narrator detracted from the story. I didn't like her male voices.  I'm relieved and surprised that I really enjoyed Without Merit! The last book I read by CoHo was like three years ago and I hated it, also the reviews for WM are so mixed I didn't know which end of the spectrum I'd land on. Merit's family situation hit close to home for me, so I could really relate to her feelings and reactions.

BOOKS RECEIVED 
Jasprit 
(Click on title for Goodreads link)



Yeah I couldn't resist in requesting some books this week when I saw them up on Netgalley, Hooking Up I'd had my eye on for some time now and with the reading mood I've been in as of late (Adult and New Adult) I think it's the perfect read for me. Lauren Layne has always been my go to author when I need a quick hot pick me up, I'm hoping this book will be a lot of fun. And Love, Hate and Other Filters was a book I knew I couldn't pass on when I saw what it was about. Every year for Christmas my sister-in-law and I gift each other with some books, we used to surprise each other, but now we just ask what we want, this year I knew I wanted a copy of Warcross by Marie Lu, and it arrived already this week! I really can't wait to get started on it! 

Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)


I'm taking a chance on The Wedding Date.  This seems like a romance I'll either hate or love. A long distance romance isn't usually something I'd pick. I guess we'll see. I love Claudia Connor's McKinney Brothers series so I bought a copy of this novella set in the same world. Nick's fab review made The Love Experiment a book I HAD to buy. It sounds like a super cute romance.

NEW TO MY TBR
Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link)

Samira Ahmed's Love, Hate and Other Filters was the book I came across this week and I was lucky enough to get an ARC copy!

Rachel:

The Chalk Man sounds like a great mystery.  Kids stumble on a dismembered dead body and the mystery still haunts them. I read and loved (2xs!) Devil in Spring, but I didn't know Gabriel's parents had their own book detailing their romance. The prologue in Devil in Spring shows them still very much in love.  I saw The Outpost on another blog and the words "can't put this one down" so I'm looking forward to getting a copy once it releases.

  WHAT I'M WATCHING:

Jasprit  

 

I was so behind with the Great British Bake Off, now that I've caught up, I kind of wish that I hadn't, as the last few weeks have been horrible, with some of my favourites leaving. And this week's Riverdale was another good episode, I feel like it's slowly building up the pace to more explosive episodes, but I'm liking it so far. 

Rachel:


Still not watching much.  I did manage to catch a couple of episodes of Modern Family and Saturday Night Live.  Both shows crack me up.

EVENTS OF THE WEEK

Jasprit 

Well I had my second Personal training session and this week I decided to add some core moves into my workout, not the greatest idea when you're pushed to work relentlessly on your arms for the session and then end the session with a 1 minute plank and a medicine ball on your back. My arms were actually trembling by the end, which has never happened to me before and I was absolutely knackered, but again I really enjoyed my session. My trainer is good at pushing me to my limit, I think normally I just did things in my comfort zone. And this week I actually leg pressed more than my own weight!



Rachel:

I've been training for my half-marathon in Healdsburg, California (Sonoma County) set to go next Saturday, but I received an email yesterday saying the event has been canceled due to the recent fires.  Not sure if the course had been damaged or they just canceled out of respect for the terrible losses.  I had called the inn we're staying at last week and they said Healdsburg is one of the places up there that wasn't touched by the flames so I'm not sure of the reason for cancellation.  At any rate, I've been suffering from tendonitis which has been causing a lot of pain and swelling in my right ankle so maybe it's for the best. My husband and I are still going up to wine country on Thursday.  I won't be running, but I just booked us a kayaking excursion on the Russian River and we'll definitely be wine tasting.


How was your week?

19 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

You both sound motivated with your fitness goals. I actually ordered a Christmas gift this week too. Enjoy your new books. Now I want chocolate.

Blodeuedd said...

Wow half marathon, I could never...if I could walk it then of course obviously ;)

Evelina @ AvalinahsBooks said...

That header of your blog never ceases to amaze me. It's the prettiest header I've ever seen, I swear!
For me the highlight of this week was Dewey's 24h readathon! It was fun. That's too bad the marathon got cancelled... But maybe that's for the best.
Have a great week :)

Samantha@WLABB said...

Jasprit - Happy Diwali! My neighborhood has been filled with lots of lights and the sound of fireworks all week. I am sort of sad to hear Lucas fizzled out for you. I am a McLean fan, and was looking forward to these books. I got a copy of Hooking Up this week. I am hoping it's good. Hunting is sometimes a miss for me, but I am hopeful. One of my co-bloggers read Love, Hate, and Other Filters and she really liked it. I hope you like it too. And Warcross was ah-mazing! My other co-blogger reviewed that one, but I read and loved it too.

Rachel - AMJ is one of my top reads this year. I am sorry you didn't like it as much as me. I am starting to think Nick should get some kickbacks for all the people getting The Love Experiment because of her. I know it's on my Amazon wish list because of Nick's review.

Unknown said...

Hi Jasprit, I just finished Hooking Up, and I really liked it. It was a sexy and fun read, and I can see her writing more in this series. And I received An Ex for Christmas - I can't wait to read it. It's my first Christmas book for this year.

Rachel I can't wait to hear what you thought of Outpost and Devil in Winter was my ALL TIME favorite book from Kleypas. I still haven't read Devil in Spring, I requested it as an audiobook, that would also be my first Kleypas audiobook. I really hope I'll love it. ;D

Have a great day and happy reading!!!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I hope the fires have stayed away from your home! I live south of you in Central California, and we've been feeling your concerns. We have fires in our nearby mountains, but nothing like what you've had.

I have Without Merit, which I hope to read soon. Enjoy your books, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

The Book Disciple said...

Oh my gosh I haven't even begun to THINK about what I would get people for Christmas. Gah!
I hope you both enjoy your books!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sounds like you're both doing a lot of fitness things lately! That's awesome. I took my first ever yoga class last weekend and MAN, I was in pain for days. LOL I'll go back though - I know it takes time and will get easier.

I really want to read The Chalk Man. It looks good!

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Rachel said...

I was trying to remember which blog featured Outpost, and now I know! I'm excited to pick it up based on your comments! I'm happy to hear you loved Devil in Winter. I'm going to buy a copy and listen to it soon. I think you'll love the audio version of Devil in Spring, Mary Jane Wells is soooo good! :)

Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) said...

Glad you two had a great week! I really need to catch up on Riverdale soon!

Here’s my Sunday Post!

Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

Jasprit said...

Ahhh I'm so glad that you enjoyed Warcross too! I haven't read a book by Hunting before, but Hooking Up was just calling out to me, I hope we both love it! Yeah I was gutted about Lucas too, it did have some really good parts, but I just couldn't deal with others. But still give it a try, you may end up liking it!

Jasprit said...

The yoga definitely gets easier once you've done it more often, I actually really enjoy doing yoga too, but unfortunately I don't have as much time to fit it in :(

Carina Olsen said...

Such a lovely recap, as always :D I love reading about what you are both doing. <3 Hugs. And aw, Jasprit, Diwali sounds like such an amazing time. I'm glad you had fun :) Hugs. And ahh, Rachel, I'm sorry the half-marathon got cancelled :( But ahh, sorry you are in a bit of pain too. Hope it will pass :) And hope you will still have an awesome time. Hope you are both doing great and will have such an awesome upcoming week :D

Katherine P said...

Yay for getting started on your Christmas shopping. I have a few ideas which means I'm ahead of where I usually am but I need to actually try and get organized before mid-December. I'm not sure what to think of the Bake Off changing most of the cast. Luckily in the States we're several seasons behind so I have a little time to get used to the idea!

Devil in Spring is on my TBR but Devil in Winter is one of my top ten favorite historical romances. I love Sebastian and Evie and am really looking forward to seeing more of them and meeting their son. Tendonitis is a beast. I have it chronically in my ankle and when it starts acting up it's so awful.

Have a great week!

Alyssa said...

Happy (belated) Diwali! You both are killing it in the fitness game. Rachel, I will definitely be following your updates on The Wedding Date. I'm curious about it but the long-distance aspect does not appeal to me. I've still not read Warcross but I'm still excited about it and definitely want to read it eventually. Happy reading, you two!

Have a great week. =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Nina said...

I love Modern Family. Just yesterday Comedy Central aired a mini marathon, which was great to watch.

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

Jasprit - Aww, I'm sorry Lucas didn't end up working out for you as well as you hoped. I ended up liking it and was hoping you would as well. Fingers crossed your next read is an excellent one! I'm obsessed with the Great British Baking Show. I only get to watch the reruns of past seasons but I look forward to it every week!

Rachel - Okay, adding The Love Experiment to my TBR! I'm sorry your marathon ended up being canceled but I hope your ankle feels better!

EFC Chrissy said...

I haven't even begun to think about Christmas.

Keep up with your fitness goals! It sounds like you both are working hard.

Karen said...

I grabbed the Love Experiment too. Looks cute. And we're watching Stranger Things S2 this weekend.

For What It's Worth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...