Tuesday 6 January 2015

Review: Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols (Superlatives #1)

Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols (Superlatives #1)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: May 20th 2014 
My rating: 4 stars


Tia and Will’s lives get flipped upside down when they’re voted Yearbook’s Biggest Flirts in this sassy novel from the author of Endless Summer and The One That I Want. Tia just wants to have fun. She’s worked hard to earn her reputation as the life of the party, and she’s ready for a carefree senior year of hanging out with friends and hooking up with cute boys. And her first order of business? New guy Will. She can’t get enough of his Midwestern accent and laidback swagger. As the sparks start to fly, Will wants to get serious. Tia’s seen how caring too much has left her sisters heartbroken, and she isn’t interested in commitment. But pushing Will away drives him into the arms of another girl. Tia tells herself it’s no big deal…until the yearbook elections are announced. Getting voted Biggest Flirts with Will is, well, awkward. They may just be friends, but their chemistry is beginning to jeopardize Will’s new relationship—and causing Tia to reconsider her true feelings. What started as a lighthearted fling is about to get very complicated…

I’ve had a really up and down relationship with Jennifer Echols books, but after devouring Biggest Flirts, I can safely say that this is my favourite Echols story yet. Echols brings a delightful, but also easy to relate to character in Tia, she’s quirky, fun, but also like everyone else has a lot of self doubts, because of this she doesn’t really do things to her full potential, she gives up on purpose such as trying for drum captain and on her school test. But when new boy Will turns up, Tia’s facing a real challenge, can she be with this guy who gets her, or is she risking her heart being trampled on?

I totally understand Tia’s predicament, with her sisters not having the best history with guys, like Tia I would probably be a bit reserved when it came to relationships with guys. Yes her sister’s lives had been thrown up side down and they had been burned multiple times, so not wanting to go through the same thing was understandable. But I wish Tia could have been honest with Will from the beginning about why she couldn’t be with him after their first day together. If I was in Will’s shoes I would assume too that there was a chance of a good thing between him and Tia, but to just be turned down the way he was awful. But I’m glad that he struck through this with his pursuit of Tia, although at times he didn’t go the best way about it, I’m glad that he didn’t completely give up. Because it was obvious to everyone that what Tia and Will had was truly special.

Alongside Will and Tia’s relationship, Echols managed to throw a nice mix of weird and wonderful characters from Tia’s trusty pelican friend Sawyer to Mrs Nakameto, whose continual one lines would have me in endless hysterics. I for one can’t wait to read the follow up books in the series, so that I can be with these great characters once more.

Echols was able to give us a story with a lot of fun, but she was able to weave in some serious aspects too. Echols was able to manage the balance between these really well, she could easily brighten up a scene when necessary, but also give you great insights in to a character’s back story with a deeper meaningful scene, and this was something I hugely appreciated. She was also able to show great character growth too, a lot of characters early on could have come across a little immature, but with the introduction of certain characters (Will), characters really went out of their ways to do the right thing not only for themselves, but other people too.

Overall Biggest Flirts was a truly wonderful fun read, despite the up and down relationship of Will and Tia, Biggest Flirts was certainly a winning read in my eyes. 





16 comments:

sha said...

I certainly love a book with relatable characters and evident character growth. Biggest Flirts sounds like a fun and a light read indeed. Fantastic review Jasprit!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this one as well, Jasprit, so I'm happy to see you praise this book. It truly was a cute book. Tia was a fun girl and I loved how sassy she was. I understand what you mean about her being honest with Will. It definitely would have made their romance better. Sawyer is my favorite. I just can't wait to read his book!! :)
Great review, Jasprit.

Melanie said...

I was a huge fan of the first Echols' book I read but I am totally willing to give this author another go! This series sounds so freaking adorable and fun so I'll definitely have these added to the TBR!

Lovely review as always, Jasprit! <33

Divergent Gryffindor said...

I enjoyed this one too, but I liked Perfect Couple even more. Great review!
Dress Up That Cover - Dark Metropolis

Samantha Stewart said...

I haven't read any of Jennifer Echols book yet, but I do own this one so I'm so glad to hear that it's your favourite of hers! It sounds like such a light and cute read, but I'm glad to hear Echols manages to weave in some deeper story lines.
Brilliant review, Jasprit!

Emma said...

I started reading this one last year and for the life of me, I couldn't seem to get into. Which was frustrating because it looked like a brilliant novel and I've got most of her other novels for EW which look great too. Maybe I wasn't in the mood at the time, but I will give them a go again, I think this year! Great review Jasprit

Jenny said...

So glad this was a winner for you overall Jasprit! The up and down relationship between Tia and Will sounds a touch frustrating, but obviously it wasn't so dramatic as to detract from the story as a whole. I haven't read anything by Jennifer Echols, so this might be a good place to start!

brandileigh2003 said...

Does sound like a lot of fun and the relationship

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I just read another review for this and I am almost convinced to give Echols another try. My first experience, Dirty Little Secret, was a big miss. This sounds cuter and fun and flirty but I am not sure about the up and down romance.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I haven't read anything by Echols, but that's great you really enjoyed this one. I like the idea behind the "series" or companion novels.

Keertana said...

I wish I had more luck with Echols since her romances always seem so interesting. I just haven't had a good record with her but perhaps I need to give this one a shot since you enjoyed it so much. Fantastic review, Jasprit! :)

Rachel said...

Echols stories are enjoyable, and she has lots of fun characters!! The romances are so cute and adorable I LOVE them. Tia is a great character, she's so funny and easy to relate to. Lovely review, Jasprit!

Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

Joy said...

i don't know...i had a hard time getting through this book. at one point, i think i may have skimmed through until the end. i had problems with Tia, to be honest. but i'm really glad you enjoyed this one, jas. there's quite a good reception for the next one, so maybe i'll enjoy that one more?

Carina Olsen said...

Aw, yay :D Amazing review Jasprit. <3 I'm glad you managed to love this book :) I do think it sound cute. <3 but not for me. I read very little of this genre, and I don't think I would enjoy this one, lol, but I am happy you did :D Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

A couple of Echols have been too angsty for me (not that teens don't have angst but I just don't love to read *too* much, you know?) but this sounds like a really cute series! I like that she's themed it off of yearbook superlatives.

Amanda said...

I have yet to read any of Echolls' works. I'm just not sure she writes the sort of stories that will appeal to me personally, although I can understand why others enjoy them quite a bit. This does sound cute, and I like the fact Echolls has managed to incorporate some heavier aspects as well. Perhaps I will end up giving this one a chance! Great review, Jasprit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...