Tuesday 27 January 2015

Review: Burned by Karen Marie Moning

Burned (Fever #7) by Karen Marie Moning
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication date: January 20th 2015
My rating:  4.5 stars 
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18755773-better-homes-and-hauntings

It’s easy to walk away from lies. Power is another thing.

MacKayla Lane would do anything to save the home she loves. A gifted sidhe-seer, she’s already fought and defeated the deadly Sinsar Dubh—an ancient book of terrible evil—yet its hold on her has never been stronger.

When the wall that protected humans from the seductive, insatiable Fae was destroyed on Halloween, long-imprisoned immortals ravaged the planet. Now Dublin is a war zone with factions battling for control. As the city heats up and the ice left by the Hoar Frost King melts, tempers flare, passions run red-hot, and dangerous lines get crossed.

Seelie and Unseelie vie for power against nine ancient immortals who have governed Dublin for millennia; a rival band of sidhe-seers invades the city, determined to claim it for their own; Mac’s former protégé and best friend, Dani “Mega” O’Malley, is now her fierce enemy; and even more urgent, Highland druid Christian MacKeltar has been captured by the Crimson Hag and is being driven deeper into Unseelie madness with each passing day. The only one Mac can depend on is the powerful, dangerous immortal Jericho Barrons, but even their fiery bond is tested by betrayal.

It’s a world where staying alive is a constant struggle, the line between good and evil gets blurred, and every alliance comes at a price. In an epic battle against dark forces, Mac must decide who she can trust, and what her survival is ultimately worth.


My Thoughts:
I was a little worried picking up Burned for a couple of reasons, but it turns out I had nothing to be worried about because it was AMAZING!!

So why was I worried?  Well first of all Burned was supposed to be the second book in the Dani trilogy and it turned out to be about 70-80% Mac’s POV.  Second, I was worried about Dani’s age, especially since I already picked a ‘ship I’m rooting for (Ryodan, of course!) and that was hardly appropriate considering Dani’s fourteen! Third, the many times the release date got pushed and delayed smacks of an author making some major changes in their original plans, and that usually doesn’t bode well for a story. Fourth, the time in between usually means I’m was going to be fuzzy on past details unless I do a re-read.  Did any of these concerns diminish my enjoyment?  HELL NO!! Trust, Karen Marie Moning delivers and now I’m counting down the days to book eight!

Like I said I was a little disappointed to hear we were getting mostly Mac’s POV instead of Dani in Burned, BUT even though we don’t get as much Dani POV as we thought/wanted, we “see” Dani though Mac’s eyes quite a bit! The other reason I was a little troubled by this change is because I don’t like it when a couple is pretty much settled with their HEA only to have an author create more drama and mess things up, so I was happily surprised that I really enjoyed getting back to Mac and Barrons! Their chemistry is even more combustible *fans self* than it has been in the past. Burned is arguably the hottest book in the series!  The “betrayal” mentioned in the blurb was something we knew about a long time ago, and I can understand why Mac was miffed, but their relationship was never in question, IMO, even so.

As far as Dani’s age problem: Well, I won’t spoil things for you, but I will say KMM has presented another pickle that has me reading every passage where Dani appears with a fine tooth comb, searching for hints and nuances that will give me what I want!! Highlight for Spoiler: Original MEGA back as she was, or maybe a melded Dani 2.0.  I did guess the twist early on, something about a scene tipped me off. I was glad to know that early into the book, though.  Ryodan and Dani continue to be a relationship I’m OBSESSED with and it’s clear that Ryodan is, too.

The push backs of the release date were frustrating, but in the end it didn’t impact the quality of the story for me. I was hooked from page one and it was a thrilling read! I’m surprised by how many revelations we got in Burned because usually KMM is slow in giving them out! Mac finds herself in a unique situation that allows her to discover several juicy tidbits that I’m going to be pondering for a while.  Fuzzy memory wasn’t an issue either for two reasons: there are some reminders as you’re reading Burned that bring key points back, and there’s a glossary at the end of the book that includes key people, places, fae, and objects. That was a big help. I suggest reading it before you dive into Burned.

Last little tidbits:
I HATED Jo in Iced, but I like this new direction the author is taking with her!  I’m definitely on board! As I said, Burned was probably the HOTTEST book of the series, and it wasn’t only because of Mac and Barrons’ relationship. 

Burned just sort of ends, not on a cliffhanger or anything, but the story just kind of stops, so as usual I’m anxious to get my hands on the next book. Feverborn has the release date listed on Goodreads and Amazon as October 2015, and I just checked KMM’s blog and she says she still hoping to release Feverborn this year. I guess we’ll see.

I didn’t summarize the plot because I think I’ve said enough.  If you’re a fan of this series, it’s best to get yourself a copy AND READ IT!  We can gossip/theorize when you finish.





14 comments:

Joy said...

That's what I thought, too! I was hoping we've already moved on from Mac, but I wouldn't mind getting a piece of JZB. In any case, I really need to read ICED.

Lovely review, Rachel!

Anonymous said...

I've seen very mixed reviews for this book. People either hated it or loved it. I haven't read Iced yet, but that's because the age thing really bugged me. I'll have to see if the library has the rest of these books since you love them (mostly Ryodan - HAHA!)!
Lovely review, Rachel. Crossing my fingers that book comes out in October for you!

Keertana said...

I'm so relieved to hear you enjoyed this one, Rachel, because I know a lot of readers have been disappointed by it. ICED was easily my least favorite Moning novel to date but I'm excited to dive back into BURNED and finally get aboard the Ryodan/Dani train. Plus, if this is the hottest book yet then.. I'm in! ;) Fantastic review, dear!

Carina Olsen said...

Aw, yay :D Amazing review Rachel. <3 So glad you loved this book. I still haven't read the first five books, though I own some small paperbacks of them. ONE DAY :D Barrons sounds so amazing, hiih. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Oh my. Iced was such a disappointment for me, but oddly, not because of Dani's age or anything of the sort. To be honest, it was mostly about Jo. I'm weird like that. And I'm a one-person-one-person kinda gal. I'm still not sure about this book, but your review certainly pushed me forward. I'll probably end up reading it. I'm too curious for my own good.

brandileigh2003 said...

Glad to hear you are liking the new direction

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

You liked this far better than I did. I liked it, but I struggled with all the loose ends, and I didn't like the unnecessary drama with Mac and Barrons, and I actually got irritated with Mac. I am also not thrilled that this turned back to a Mac book when they are supposed to be Dani's. Still I was completely invested in the book and I couldn't stop listening. The audiobook was fantastic.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That's great this one lived up to your expectations and and the doubts you had were mostly unwarranted. That's always great! I haven't read anything by this author, but a friend of mine was raving about her a couple weeks ago so I'm curious now.

Siiri said...

I think the Mac POV was given to you guys bc most of the people didn't love Dani's POV? Idk. I heard some stuff about that. Lol! I don't understand any of he things you said in your spoiler haha. I'm so glad you found this to be a thrilling read and I love glossaries so that's a plus :P I just love when the terms are all explained in one place. I hope you get the next book soon and that it will be a full 5 star read for you :)

Melanie said...

Ooh I've heard so many excellent things about this author! I've not seen a single negative review, so clearly this author cannot do no wrong. I'm so glad that you loved this one just as much as her prev novels!

Fantastic review, Rach <33

Pooja. S said...

Why haven't I read this series yet? I've heard only good things. Really need to read it. Fab review Rachel <3

Anonymous said...

I saw a lot of mixed reviews, so I'm a little worried too, but that was also the case with the previous book and I loved it. Either way, this is next on my tbr list- can't wait! Glad you enjoyed it, great review!

Emma said...

Karen Marie Moning's books have been so popular lately and I have to say the covers look indeed steamy. I think I may need to get my hands on this series ASAP. Great review as always, Rachel! :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

OMG. YES!! You know I ranted but, in the end, I really did enjoy this story. HOWEVER, I want Mega back. Or at least a form much closer to her, rather than this other...thing that came out of the Hall. And, dear god, can we please get more of the Nine? Of LOR?!? *fans self*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...