Monday 9 January 2017

Review: Worth the Wait by Claudia Connor

Worth the Wait (McKinney/Walker #1) by Lisa Gardner
Publication date: January 10th 2017
My rating: 4.5 stars 
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25644437-find-her
He broke her heart. When he finds out just how badly, it will break his too.

Nick Walker found the love of his life when he was just nineteen.

Found her.
Loved her.
Lost her.


It's been ten years since Nick watched the only woman he ever loved walk out of his life. Now this FBI Special Agent will do anything to win her back.

But it won’t be easy…

Mia’s heart was shattered by Nick. They'll have to face their painful past if they want a future, including Mia's own secret about that day it all fell apart.

Do you believe in second chances?
 

My Thoughts:
Nick and Mia met and fell in love in college right after Nick’s parents died and he became guardian over his younger brothers and two-year old sister, Hannah.  Both Nick and Mia knew their love was the forever kind, and I loved going back and watching them fall for each other; loved seeing Mia become an integral part of Hannah’s life.  But tragedy strikes, and the aftermath shatters them.  Guilt, anger and blame deals the final blow to their relationship and Mia leaves, no longer able to bear Nick shutting her out. 

They haven’t spoken in the ten years since Mia left, but neither has really moved on, so when they run into each other it brings all the hurt and pain back, but also the undeniable, intense love they had.  Like Mia, I wondered whether Nick could ever let the past go to have a future with Mia. And I wondered if Mia would ever be able to forgive Nick for pushing her away. 

Even though I felt for Nick and everything he went through, my heart went out to Mia more.  I hurt so much for her! With their breakup Mia not only lost the love of her life, she lost Hannah who was basically like their daughter, and Nick’s little brothers, too.  But Nick felt so guilty, angry, and helpless over what happened he had no room in his heart for anything else.  He didn’t feel like he deserved any happiness because of what happened on his watch, and so he let Mia go. I was glad that this time Nick wasn’t going to make the same mistake.

Back when I read Hannah’s story in Worth the Risk, I begged for a Nick and Mia story, because it seemed like it would be an amazing second chance romance, and it was!  I’m so happy Ms. Connor granted my wish!  Worth the Wait was a very emotional read, I cried several times while reading.  I was so invested in Nick and Mia’s story I couldn’t put it down and ended up reading it in one sitting. It was heart-wrenching at times to see what Nick and Mia went through, but that just made their journey back to happiness all the more satisfying. My heart soared and I cried happy tears in the end! 




Connect with Claudia Connor:



8 comments:

Keertana said...

Ahh, a new Claudia Connor! Thanks for putting this on my radar, Rachel!! I totally didn't know this story was being written, let alone released, and it sounds amazing! I adore this author's romances so I'll have to download this one for the long plane journeys I'll be taking next week! Gorgeous review, dear!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

This sounds like an intense and emotional read. I haven't tried this author I will add this to my TBR.

Joy said...

Love, love Claudia Connor! I didn't even know she has a new one out and a spin off of the MckInney series. I would probably need a refresher though, coz I don't remember who Nick is (or Mia for that matter).

Rachel said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Keertana! Have a safe trip! :)

Rachel said...

I think you'll love this one, Joy. If you do a little skimming through Hannah's book, Worth the Risk, I think it will come back to you. I don't think you even need to do that, though, because I began to remember after starting this one. :)

Alyssa said...

I just saw a review of this book on another blog! Is it weird that I absolutely love it when the cover model has his shirt slightly unbuttoned at the top? Weird Alyssa is weird. :D I'm not usually a big fan of second-chance romances! There's usually so much angst (which is authentic!), and I usually end up hating one of the characters (whoever did the breaking up, in the past). Still, there have been some good second-chance romances published recently, like Rookie Move. :D I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Rachel!

Have a fantastic weekend. =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Carina Olsen said...

Yaay for enjoying this one a lot :D Not my type of plot, sadly, but still seems interesting. So glad it wasn't disappointing Rachel. <3 Hugs.

Ksenia said...

I haven’t read anything by Claudia Connor. I know you loved her previous series, and I even put it on my radar, but for some reason haven’t picked it up. Great review, Rachel. I definitely need to finally read a book by this author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...