Thursday 18 September 2014

Mini Review: The Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost

The Beautiful Ashes (Broken Destiny #1) by Jeaniene Frost
Publisher: Harlequin
Publication date: August 26th 2014
My rating:  DNF


 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18755773-better-homes-and-hauntings
 In a world of shadows, anything is possible. Except escaping your fate.

Ever since she was a child, Ivy has been gripped by visions of strange realms just beyond her own. But when her sister goes missing, Ivy discovers the truth is far worse—her hallucinations are real, and her sister is trapped in a parallel realm. And the one person who believes her is the dangerously attractive guy who's bound by an ancient legacy to betray her.

Adrian might have turned his back on those who raised him, but that doesn't mean he can change his fate…no matter how strong a pull he feels toward Ivy. Together they search for the powerful relic that can save her sister, but Adrian knows what Ivy doesn't: that every step brings Ivy closer to the truth about her own destiny, and a war that could doom the world. Sooner or later, it will be Ivy on one side and Adrian on the other. And nothing but ashes in between…


My Thoughts:

DNF at 58%

I just can't read this anymore. I have no patience for the doomed, forbidden romance that I've had zero feelings for. Instant attraction can work for me, but it just doesn't here.

This feels like more of a YA read than an adult. Ivy comes off more like a fifteen-year-old than the twenty years she's supposed to be. To be fair, my impression may have been tainted by starting with the audio version which I had to stop listening to. The narrator made Ivy sound shrilly which is hardly an appealing quality in a heroine. I don't recommend the audio version at all.

I switched to reading instead but I still couldn't get into this story. I wish I swooned over Adrian, but his withholding of information and keeping of secrets made it impossible to connect with him.

My feelings could be due to my reading mood, so check out other reviews before making your decision to read this story.


14 comments:

Emma said...

I'm certainly not a fan of a character being less than they are. I find it hard to actually connect with the novel and the character at that point which is really disappoint. I can see potential in this books from the synopsis, but again the follow-through doesn't really appeal. Sorry it disappointed you Rachel, I hate DNF-ing books! :(

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I made it all the way through but, yeah, it was just so cliched and just not what I've hoped for, especially from Jeanine Frost. And the MC really did feel so young. Too young.

Anonymous said...

Mostly everyone has been saying the same thing. It's such a shame that the insta love really ruined the book, especially considering this is from Jeanine Frost!! Adrian sounds really irritating too. I would not enjoy his character.
I hope your next book is better, Rachel,

Unknown said...

I honestly don't think it's just you, Rachel. Almost every review I've read has been "meh" at best. TBA isn't appealing me at all, so I'll likely give my review copy away. Thanks!

Carina Olsen said...

Aw :( This is very depressing. Having to DNF books is the worst feeling. Sigh. But I totally understand. <3 this sounds all kinds of awful, lol. Thank you so much for sharing Rachel, and being honest :) You are awesome. <3

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I have heard so much about Frost and her books but this one doesn't sound that good. I don't think I can take any more forbidden romance especially when I couldn't care less for the characters. I'm sorry that this one was a disappointment for you. Great review, Rachel :)

Karen said...

I finished this but it was a struggle. You didn't miss much. I'm not even sure why this is considered NA - it definitely had a more YA feel to it.

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Jae said...

Aw, bummer that you couldn't get into this one. I've been seeing mixed reviews for it, and truthfully I don't think I'll pick it up. I only like forbidden romances when I can connect with the characters and I have a feeling I wouldn't like Ivy very much. Great review :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I am passing on this one. I was excited about it at first but so far the reviews are lackluster and I just am not up for it. Thanks for the insight. Hope you have better luck with your weekend reads.

brandileigh2003 said...

Aw sorrry to hear the doomed forbidden romance just wasn't working in this one.

Unknown said...

I don't blame you for DNFing. While I ended up giving this 3 stars, the beginning is pretty terrible and I hated the way Ivy made decisions. It is a quick read so if you decide to give it another chance know that it got better for me!

Livvy said...

I simply love Frost, but I hear even die-hard Frost fans have been struggling to make this work for them. Definite shame, but I think I'll still give it a try. I definitely recommend her other Night Huntress series and Night Prince if you haven't tried those Rachel as they are far better!

Keertana said...

I wasn't a fan of this author's Night Huntress series and I have heard a fair number of unhappy reviews with this book so I don't think it's just you, Rachel. I know I, for one, wouldn't be up for this either so in many ways you simply cemented my decision not to pick this one up. Thanks for such a helpful review, dear, and I hope your next read is far better than this one!

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts, Rachel! I think I'll have trouble with the audio version as I can't stand shrilly voices.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...