Monday 1 September 2014

Monthly Recap: August


It's been a busy month for both Jasprit and I. Work has been non-stop for me, but fortunately I was able to get away for a short vacation by the beach.  Jasprit has had some weddings, and author events (so jealous!) so sorry if we haven't been around much lately!

Number of Books read:
Jasprit: 3
Rachel: 15

Highest rating:
Jasprit: 4 stars
Rachel: 5 stars
 
Lowest rating:
Jasprit: 2 stars
Rachel: 3 stars

Books reviewed:

Jasprit: 
(click on titles for review link)



  
  



Rachel: 
(click on titles for review link)


Bully (Fall Away, #1)  One Plus One  Up at Butternut Lake (The Butternut Lake Trilogy, #1)


Exchange of Fire (SBG, #1)  Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)


Best read of last month:
Jasprit: Last month was a really mixed reading month for me, I wasn't able to read as many books as I wanted, I did start a couple of great ones, but didn't get around to finishing them because of having to return them to the library or because of no time. But one of the books which stood out for me was E.L Freil's Most Wanted, you know when you just need something hot and fun? Well this was that sort of book and it was something I was in the mood for.

Rachel: 
One Plus One by Jojo Moyes.  Such a wonderful, crazy story with so much heart! Loved all the point of views and the narration was brilliant!

Book which surprised me the most: 
Jasprit: Landline by Rainbow Rowell. This book surprised me as I think I was expecting so much more going into this book, but it ended up going in a totally different direction entirely. Not that this book wasn't fun, it was, but maybe not my favourite from Rainbow.

Rachel: 
Bully by Penelope Douglas. Didn't expect to like Jared at all being he was a bully, but he did a 180 for me.

Fictional crush of the month:
Jasprit: Jax Sayer from Most Wanted, this guy was all kinds of hot. Seriously he was able to make a scene change from being a tense one to super hot within a few seconds and that even without saying anything...

Rachel:
I'm sort of getting a mad crush on Atticus O'Sullivan from The Iron Druid Chronicles! He's super smart, resourceful, and I love the way he's been mooning over Granuaile! Can't wait for their romance to finally blossom.  Luke Daniels does an amazing job narrating and I can't imagine not listening at this point.

Three books I'm most looking forward to this month:
Jasprit:
 (Click on titles for Goodreads link)


  
  

  
  
Everyone I know has devoured a book by Hoover, I'm one of those readers who tends to collect all her books but still haven't read one. Hearing so much praise for her previous books, Ugly Love was the one that I was able to click download on the quickest, so much about this book has me pumped about finally getting around to reading it. Heir of Fire I have had for the longest time, Crown of Midnight left me in a complete wreck, but I am prepared for this book (sort of) and I was a huge fan of The 5th Wave I can't wait to read the next installment The Infinite Sea!

                                            
Rachel:
(Click on titles for Goodreads link)

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) Burying Water Hope Burns (Hope #3)


I'm excited to continue the Iron Druid Chronicles series with Trapped by Kevin Hearne, book five in the series. I'm waiting for my Audible credit to come through to snag it. I loved K.A. Tucker's Ten Tiny Breathes series and I'm hopeful for Burying Water as well. I love the small town romances Jaci Burton has been writing with the Hope series and I can't wait to dive into Hope Burns.

Bookish Photo:


I was able to meet three wonderful authors in the month of August: Leigh Bardugo, Moira Young and Sarah Alderson. Here's a photo of me with Sarah, she's been one of my favourite authors for such a long time, so it was great to finally be able to meet her at a lovely blogger tea!





How was your month of August?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you both had a super busy month! I'll be waiting to see what you think of Ugly Love, Jasprit. Imhust haven't gotten the urge to read it yet. And Rachel, I read Hope Burns last week, I definitely think you'll like it, especially Carter!

Maji Bookshelf said...

such awesome books! I loved One Plus One and I really enjoyed Ugly Love! I need to read The Darkest Minds trilogy but i'm waiting for the last book to come out :D

- Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Haraiah said...

Wasn't able to read a lot of books this month, too! But I gave 5 stars to one of them so I'm still a happy reader. The 5th Wave will be my first read this month and I can't wait to see how it will go! Also can't wait to read Bully. The books sounds really interesting.

Carina Olsen said...

Yay :D Sounds like you both had an amazing month. <3 Thank you so much for sharing :) I haven't read any of these books, but they all sounds awesome :) Hoping September will be amazing for you both. <3

Rashika said...

The amount of books Jas has read shows how busy she's been ;) But hopefully that'll settle down by the end of next week and you can get back to reading all your pretties!

All your praise for Most Wanted has me curious and I reallly want to meet Jax!

RACHEL. I WANT ONE PLUS ONE SO BAD. Your review completely sold me and the fact that it was your best read of last month has me further sold (does that make sense?)!

I still need to start the Iron Druid Chronicles though. I've heard tons of good things about it and I want to pick it up but I haven't been in the mood *sigh* I haven't read a lot of UF lately so maybe that's it!

Anyway I hope you guys get to read your most anticipated reads soon!

Have a fantastic month and HAPPY Reading ladies! :)

Rashika @ The Social Potato

Emma said...

I have a friend who loves Jojo Moyes and she loved this one. I myself, haven't read much adult books lately but I must get into some of her soon. I too, am looking forward to Heir of Fire, I'm reading that in a couple of weeks, one the hype goes down a little hehe. The 5th Wave is also on my list to read in the next couple of months. I didn't know the second one was out so soon. I loved Colleen Hoover's Slammed series after, Rachel recommended it. Its brilliant! Lovely recap ladies. :)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Sadly I didn't enjoy Landline as much as I hoped I would :( But still I cannot wait to see your review for it. But Rachel it's amazing that you managed to read that much! So good. Also Jasprit enjoy Heir of Fire. I cannot wait to see what you think of it. Great post, ladies :)

Jae said...

I have The Darkest Mind and Bully on my tbr! I've heard only good things about them (and I see you two gave it high reviews too) so I'm looking forward to getting them. You ladies have some great choices for next month!

I'm like you Jasprit, once I read a book I absolutely loved, I go on an author binge haha. I haven't read Ugly Love yet but it's sitting nice and pretty on my bookshelf. Looking forward to what you think about that one!

I love Jaci Burton. I find her novels are always light and enjoyable. I haven't started her Hope series yet though! I'm looking forward to reading Burying Water too. After In Her Wake that is, I need my Trent fix :D

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Jasprit: cute photo! I haven't been to author/book event in SO long.

Rachel: I do want to read Kevin Hearne's books; glad to see you are enjoying them.

Anonymous said...

You guys had an exciting month in August! :)
I'm excited to hear what you think of Ugly Love, Jasprit, although I'm not sure if it's your kind of book. If you have her other books I would definitely recommend reading Slammed or Hopeless first because I think they would appeal more to you. But definitely give Ugly Love a try. It's emotional and kind of hard to read, but I thought it was worth it.

I'm looking forward to reading Burying Water too, Rachel. It sounds mysterious and exciting and I can't wait! :)

I hope you all have a great September too! :)

Livvy said...

Quite the difference in number of books read you guys! However it did look like Jasprit had a great month with some fantastic author events. I like you guys highlight book crushes of the month and favourite books, it certainly is an interesting way to spotlight one or two of your favourite monthly books! It also has me curious about Most Wanted and the Iron Druid chronicles. Hope September is just as exciting for you both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...