Monday 15 September 2014

Short & Tweet Reviews #1: Highland Surrender & Blank Slate

I've been meaning to try this method of review since seeing it done by Mary@The Book Swarm and Andrea@The Bookish Babe.  I going with Karen's @For What It's Worth title of Short & Tweet Review because there is just no way I can keep my words to a 140 characters! Lol!


Highland Surrender by Tracy Brogan
Narrated by: Sarah Coombs
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Length: 12 Hours 27 Minutes
Audiobook Publication date: December 4th 2012
My rating: 4 stars 
Goodreads | Audible | Amazon | B&N

My Thoughts:

A forced marriage between two opposing clans.  Misinformation and lies make for an adversarial relationship to start.  As the truth comes to light and Myles and Fiona get to know (yum!!) each other, the marriage becomes very dear to both. Political intrigue, danger, and revelations make for an exciting read!

I highly recommend the audio version! Accents are lovely and the performance enhances this wonderful story. Steal of a deal!: If you buy the Kindle version for $2.49 you can add the audio for an additional $1.99!! 


Blank Slate by Tiffany Snow
Narrated by: Tanya Ebe
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Length: 10 Hours 3 Minutes
Audiobook Publication date: October 14th 2013
My rating: 3.5 stars 

Goodreads | Audible | Amazon | B&N

My Thoughts:
A fun, quick audiobook. Clarissa is a very wanted computer hacker/thief, but loses her memory completely! Classic opposites attract with Erik being an FBI agent and Clarissa being a thief. Lots of snarky banter and a few sizzling scenes.  Non-stop action at every turn and I loved that Clarissa was a bad-ass!  The narration was pretty good, too. Clarissa's accent wasn't heavily overdone, just right. Another steal of a deal: If you buy the Kindle version for $3.99 you can add the audio for $1.99! 




11 comments:

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Girl I admire you for being able to put your thoughts in 140 characters. For me it's either that I cannot stop writing or I have nothing to say. I've never knew middle in life, anyway. But I really like the sound of Highland Surrender! Sounds like Amanda Quick's stories to me. Great reviews, Rachel :)

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of Highland Surrender. I love it when two characters are forced into a marriage and they begin to care for each other. (Although, I would never want that to happen to me!!).
Black Slate also looks like a lot of fun! I'm always up for an opposites attract romance! :)
I love the idea of short and tweet reviews, Rachel. I wish I could express my thoughts in a few words! :)
Lovely reviews!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Yay! It's definitely harder than it looks but you did awesome. I think I'm going to have to check out Highland Surrender (yum!). :)

Livvy said...

I definitely think 140 characters is such a difficult amount to get your thoughts composed and so concise. However, I think this idea is a terrific one as it does help you to be punchy with what you want to say and which elements you liked. It's also a lot quicker and easier to read than full reviews. These sound like they were fun reads, pleased to hear you enjoyed them so much, Rachel!

Amber Elise said...

Ooo Highland Surrender looks like something I would enjoy! And it's cheap, squee!

Amber Elise @ Du Livre

Keertana said...

Highland Surrender sounds like just my kind of read! I love a romance of arranged marriage and I haven't read too many Scottish historical romances so this seems like the perfect one to begin with. I'll have to pick up the audio version too! ;) Thanks for putting it on my radar, Rachel, and lovely short and tweet reviews! (LOVE the name, by the way! :D)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Can't be the steal of a deal prices, right? I think I would like the second one.

Unknown said...

Great job! I don't think I've managed to get any of mine at 140 characters or below. I'm glad you enjoyed both. I've been curious about Tiffany Snow.

The Readdicts said...

Oooh I didn't know about Highland Surrender but I'll definitely look into it when I'm in the mood for one of those kind of romances. Thanks for sharing Rachel! :)

Janhvi @ The Readdicts

Jae said...

I have a thing for Highlanders now after reading Outlander and the MacKinnon Ranger's series. And I like the sound of Blank Slate (yay for snarky banter). I'm impressed that you are able to put your thoughts into a short paragraph. I don't think that's even possible for me lol. Great reviews!

Siiri said...

Oh, I should rec the first one to Nick since she loves her historical romance reads. I'm not one to read a ton of HR, but this sounds good! Plus I already ship these not-in-love-at-first characters ;) Alsooo, I love Brilliance Audio! They have great narrators and well-done audios :) As for Blank Slate, you said fun and quick and I just stared at the cover since that is NOT fun and quick, but as I read more of your thoughts--LOL! I can see how it could be ;) Glad you enjoyed both of these in general :) Love this feature, Rach!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...