Wednesday 1 October 2014

Monthly Recap: September



Hi all, I hope you've had a great month! I (Jasprit) was finally able to get down to some reading this month, I read a total of 11 books! I don't think I've read that many in a month since like April. I'm hoping to tackle more from my review month next month, I've kind of gotten way behind with that. If you know of any review pile reading challenges taking place, let me know in the comments. This month our monthly poll is back for you, this time instead of having books which have been on my shelves for ages, I've picked out some books that I've just bought recently, so make sure you vote at the end of our post! 


Number of Books read:
Jasprit: 11
Rachel: 14

Highest rating:
Jasprit: 5 stars
Rachel: 5 stars
 
Lowest rating:
Jasprit: 2 stars
Rachel: DNF

Books reviewed:

Jasprit: 
(click on titles for review link)





Rachel: 
(click on titles for review link)

  http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-shatter-by-erin-mccarthy.html http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-giveaway-in-her-wake-by-ka-tucker.html http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-broken-by-lauren-layne.html http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-worth-fall-by-claudia-connor.html http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/short-tweet-reviews-highland-surrender.html http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/short-tweet-reviews-highland-surrender.html
http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/mini-review-beautiful-ashes-by-jeaniene.html http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-naked-in-death-by-jd-robb.html http://thereadersden.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-her-best-shot-by-shannyn.html



Best read of last month:
Jasprit: Shimmer by Paula Weston. I received an early review copy of this, but wasn't able to get to my copy until this month. Honestly this series just gets better and better, Weston knows how to create a fabulous cast and keep you wanting more. Also that ending you have to be kidding me right? 

Rachel: 
Tie between Worth the Fall by Claudia Connor and Shatter by Erin McCarthy.  I just LOVED both of them soooo hard!

Book which surprised me the most: 
Jasprit: Magnolia by Kristi Cook. I don't know what I was expecting going into this book, but it certainly wasn't this. With the reading funk I had been in, it was exactly the sort of book that I needed, it was funny, cute and books which feature two characters who are constantly at each others throats, when you know they'd make a great couple are always winners for me.

Rachel: 
Worth the Fall by Claudia Connor.  I was very skeptical when I heard the heroine was pregnant with four small children! How was that supposed to work?  Color me surprised when I swooned and melted!

Fictional crush of the month:
Jasprit: Rafa from Shimmer. This guy sure knows how to bring the swoon. His cheeky demeanor just makes him even more irresistible. I hope we get even more swoon from him in the next book Burn.

Rachel:
Oh definitely Matt from Worth the Fall! He was all yummy MAN, but didn't let that stop him from being so very attentive to those kids! Any guy who can have enough confidence to indulge a three-year-old by playing Barbies has my vote!


Three books I'm most looking forward to this month:

Jasprit:
 (Click on titles for Goodreads link)

   
  
 

With so many great book to movie adaptations coming out this month, I of course had to make The Maze Runner a priority, also I'm one of those readers who can't go back to a book once I've seen the movie! I'm thrilled that our UK publishers are getting some big titles over here now too. Macmillan are releasing both Famous in Love and My True Love Gave to Me this month, and although I would have loved to have saved both for Christmas, I'm just itching to get started with these straight away.
  
  


  

Rachel:
(Click on titles for Goodreads link)

Every Breath Only Enchanting (The Survivors' Club, #4) Mean Streak

I've been enjoying my first love in reading: mysteries! Being in and out of a book slump this last month, mysteries (with a little romance of course) seem to yank me out of my negative feelings.  Mean Streak and Every Breath are both mysteries, one adult and one YA so I'm really excited! Historicals are a nice change of pace to get me out of a rut and Only Enchanting sounds wonderful!



Bookish Photo: 

I (Rachel) went to see If I Stay earlier this month with Arlene @Winterhaven Books and this was my "must have" essentials.  The tissues came in very handy! Even Arlene appreciated my forethought (makeup in your eye, yeah, right!).





Monthly Poll:

For this months poll I've decided to feature books which I've bought recently.

Which book should Jasprit read this month?

How was your month of September?

11 comments:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

You guys read a lot of books, great job :D I really want to see The maze runner (although I haven't read the book, I'm going to break my rule for this one) I'm voting for THE ASSASSIN'S BLADE. Of course!

Melanie said...

I'm very curious to see what you think of The Maze runner! Magnolia definitely surprised me as well, it was quite fabulous and I loved the romance. Ooh Every Breath! I do hope you enjoy it Rach, book 2 is even better, FYI >.<

Cannot believe it's already October, yikes!

Joy said...

Whoa, Rachel. Grrrrl, you on fire! Lol. Oh and let me know when you're about to read Mean Streak. I'd love to do a buddy read with you. :) Also, I recommended Worth the Fall to a friend of mine and she absolutely loved it!

Jas, I couldn't help myself. I peeked at the ending of Shimmer! Shame. Shame, I know. I'm so glad you loved it, despite that epic cliffie.

Have a great month, ladies. Looking forward to reading your reviews.

Jenny said...

I really, really need to read the Paula Weston series, I want to meet Rafa! I feel like enough books are out now that I don't have to fear the cliffhangers as much:) And you definitely need to read RITES OF PASSAGE Jasprit! That book blew me away. As did The Assassin's Blade, so you can't go wrong with either of those.

Rachel, you were on a roll this month! I'm on a mystery kick as well. I need something different from my usual paranormal YA to pull me out of a rut when I find myself in one. The mysteries I've read lately have definitely done that!

Pooja. S said...

I definitely want to watch IF I STAY. Great post, guys! Your fictional crushes of the month make me want to check those books out stat :).

Carina Olsen said...

Yay for an awesome month you guys :D I cannot wait to read Shimmer. <3 (must read book one and two first, very soonish, I think :)) Happy reading to both of you. <3 and hoping October will be just as awesome if not better :)

Keertana said...

So glad you enjoyed SHIMMER, Jasprit! It didn't quite live up to HAZE for me but I just adore the series and really cannot wait for the final novel to be out--I want answers! I'm also curious to see what you think of My True Love Gave to Me so I'm looking forward to comparing notes on that one.

Rachel, I've been reading waaay too many of your recommendations this month! I loved Worth the Fall as well and finished Uncivilized last night and am now reading Her Best Shot. I haven't heard much about any of the titles you're planning to read this month but, knowing you, if they're any good I'll be rushing out to find a copy for myself. ;)

Fantastic re-cap, ladies, and here's hoping your October is even more wonderful than this past month was!<3

Giselle said...

Dude I already had a craving for some yummy popcorn!! Aaah! And I, too, really need to read The Maze Runner! I also need to go watch If I Stay like YESTERDAY! OMg that movie sounds like such a tear-jerker and I don't do well with those in a theater so that's why I'm trying to wait until it's out on DVD >.< Sounds like you had a fab month, ladies!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I'm pretty excited about The Maze Runner movie, too. Highly enjoyed the first book (though the subsequent ones weren't great and I stopped reading). Eleven books? Woo-hoo! You were on a roll! I definitely want to see If I Stay, too (and I'll bring the tissues!).

Unknown said...

I love these recaps! Jasprit, you have me curious about Shimmer, and Rachel, you have me excited about WtF. Thanks for sharing, ladies!

Unknown said...

I've gotten way behind on my review pile too. I'm participating in the Bingo Holiday Card over at great-imaginations.com and have been trying to apply nothing but review books to the squares. There's a few that couldn't fit but it'll help if I can stick to the list! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...