Thursday 5 March 2015

Review: Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop

Vision in Silver (The Others #3) by Anne Bishop
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication date: March 3rd 2015
My rating:  5 stars 
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository 


The Others freed the  cassandra sangue  to protect the blood prophets from exploitation, not realizing their actions would have dire consequences. Now the fragile seers are in greater danger than ever before—both from their own weaknesses and from those who seek to control their divinations for wicked purposes. In desperate need of answers, Simon Wolfgard, a shape-shifter leader among the Others, has no choice but to enlist blood prophet Meg Corbyn’s help, regardless of the risks she faces by aiding him.

Meg is still deep in the throes of her addiction to the euphoria she feels when she cuts and speaks prophecy. She knows each slice of her blade tempts death. But Others and humans alike need answers, and her visions may be Simon’s only hope of ending the conflict.

For the shadows of war are deepening across the Atlantik, and the prejudice of a fanatic faction is threatening to bring the battle right to Meg and Simon’s doorstep…
 



My Thoughts:
I’m sad after finishing Visions of Silver because I truly didn’t want the book to end!  I kept thinking “nooooo” as I saw the percentage on my Kindle climbing to 100.  I have to say this is my favorite fantasy series out there to date.  This installment was very much about Monty and his daughter Lizzy, and the changing relationship between terra indigene and humans. 

As we know from the previous books, Elayne, Monty’s former lover, had taken up with Nicolas Scratch, prominent spokesperson of Humans First and Last and this becomes very important to the events that play out in Vision in Silver.  HFL’s movement stirs up much hate towards the terra indigene and forms a divisive line between the humans who are friendly towards terra indigene and those who are not. 

The lines between humans and terra indigene in the Lakeside Courtyard, on the other hand, have become blurred. Now instead of thinking of them as just “clever meat”, they’re viewed as members of their human pack, or Meg’s human pack, affording them consideration and protection.   These changes in attitude are thanks to Meg, she’s the catalyst, “The Trailblazer” in a new friendship forming between the two kinds.

Living outside of an institutionalized situation is also becoming an issue with the rescued Cassandra Sangue girls, as well as Meg.  The outside world can easily overwhelm these girls to a dangerous level.  But because Meg is a little more self-aware and been on the outside longer, she’s able to recognize triggers that set these girls on edge.

There are so many aspects to this series I love to think about, like the “verbal hierarchy” The Others used to indicate the degree of interaction with an individual: they’d use the Lizzy to indicate more of an outsider, or worse that Lizzy to indicate a human they didn’t like. As soon as humans became closer they became just Lizzy or in the case of Meg where there’s special affection and possession assigned, our Meg. The interactions between the humans and terra indigene in the Lakeside Courtyard continue to be fascinating and hilarious at times.

Of course the development of the romance between Simon and Meg continues to be my favorite part of the story.  Simon and Meg are very new to the dynamics of a romantic relationship (not that they actually know they’re in one) and so some of their feelings take a while click.  It’s very entertaining to witness the light coming on.  

Things are coming to a head with the humans and the terra indigene, especially in regards to the powerful, more dangerous, wild forms of terra indigene.  They are for the moment quietly sitting back and watching all the interactions, but could very quickly step in and wipe out all the humans if they become more of a threat. 

It’s hard to properly express how special and unique this series is. All I can say is if you haven’t picked it up, you are definitely missing out! 






 

12 comments:

Wendy Darling said...

Life has been so insane I haven't been online much lately, but I just wanted to say how excited I am to see your 5 stars! Eeeeee! i just started it myself, and now I'm even more excited. Hopefully this means there is more Simon + Meg. We've been patient! It's tiiiiiime. :D

Hope you ladies are doing well!

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I seriously need to get to this series. Everyone I know who has read it has given it so much of praise. I'm convinced I will love this series too. I love the sound of the characters and the world building. But the romance is what is really making me want to read this book. The slow burn just sounds so fantastic!
Lovely review, Rachel! :)

Jenny said...

EVERYONE LOVES THIS SERIES AND I HAVEN'T READ IT YET RACHEL!!!!! I need to remedy that immediately, I don't think I've seen anything below 5 stars for this latest installment yet. The most appealing aspect for me is definitely Simon and Meg, you know me and romance. Even when it's romance that doesn't know its romance:)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I adore this series and I plan on starting the audiobook this weekend. I have a print ARC but I listened to the other two so I just have to listen to this one. So glad you loved this.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That's great you're loving this series. I NEED to read this. I've been getting more into fantasy anyway. Plus, Written in Red has been on my wish list for a long time now.

Keertana said...

I love this series so much and, like you, was sad to see this book end. Simon and Meg's romance can be so frustrating slow but I have a feeling the wait will be worth it. (It better be in the next book!) I love how you spoke about the "verbal heirarchy" because there are so many little details that make this series so strong. The entire world is built up in such a believable manner with the world-building being so thoroughly fleshed-out and I love that about it. Wonderful review, Rachel--hopefully the wait for the next book isn't too long!

Joy said...

I just picked up a copy today, Rachel. I'm so excited to read it; and it's a favourite series of mine as well. I'm looking forward to some Simon and Meg time, but from what I've been hearing, we are still going to wait...bah. Great review, Rachel!

Anonymous said...

I have this series on my tbr-list too and plan to read the first one this year. The world-building and the slow building romance sounds awesome. Fab review, Rachel!

Lauren @ Love is not a triangle said...

I'm rereading this book AGAIN because I love it so much! We are in complete agreement about this series it is fantastic. The world is getting bigger and more detailed - I was able to see more about the possible direction of future books in this one, with all the human vs Others strife. But it's Simon and Meg that has me coming back again and again. SIGH. I LOVE them. You're right, they're totally in a relationship, even if they don't' realize it yet. That last scene was incredibly sweet. Crossing my fingers we get kissing next! I saw there are supposed to be 2 more in this series at lest. CAN'T WAIT. Great review.

Anonymous said...

This series needs more love! So glad you enjoyed it. MEG! SIMON! EVERYONE IN THE COURTYARD! I just adore the intricacy of the world building.

Unknown said...

I'm really enjoying this series! Okay, I seriously need Simon and Meg to KISS already, but their relationship is one of the most endearing I've ever read. Each book brings them a step closer, and it's so cute how much they think about the other person. Ugh, OTP. <3 And the courtyard antics are the best - I love all the little touches and the humor. The wait for book 4 is gonna be looooong.

Great review, girl!

Carina Olsen said...

Gorgeous review Rachel. <3 I have heard so much about this book lately. Makes me think I might look into it someday, lol :D I'm so so happy that you loved it so much. <3 Thank you for sharing sweetie :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...