Monday 30 March 2015

Review: When Joss Met Matt by Ellie Cahill

When Joss Met Matt by Ellie Cahill
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Publication Date: February 24th 2015
My rating: 4 stars 


Dating can be fun, but it can leave a nasty taste in your mouth. For Joss, ever since her longtime boyfriend cheated on her, she doesn’t want her last memory of a guy to be that jerk. Enter her college friend, Matt. They come up with a theory: after a bad break-up, a person needs to cleanse the palate with a little sorbet sex. Lovers for a night, but always back to being friends in the morning. The two can handle it because they have a contract: rules they wrote, rules they follow and rules they can sometimes bend. The arrangement works: everyone needs a little sorbet now and again … until it starts to be the only thing you want. And then Joss breaks the one rule they never wrote down: don’t fall in love.

I haven’t had the best of luck with NA books, so I’ve always been a little wary when going into an NA read, however with the steady trickle of praising reviews for when Joss met Matt and the fact that it was written by Liz Czukas, an author whose debut I adored, I went into this book with some hope that I would finally have an NA read which I would adore and I’m glad that this was the case.
Joss had been in a long term relationship with her boyfriend Ben, but when he dumps her saying he has met somebody else, Joss just needs someone to make the pain go away and that’s where Matt comes in. It sort of casually just happens where they come to an arrangement to have a sorbet sex, to sort of cleanse their palate after their last relationship which goes wrong. I could see the appeal of having a back up guy like Matt to fall back on; he was funny, handsome and knew the right things to say when you had come out of a bad relationship. I loved how Czukas gave us the story of Matt and Joss’s relationship, with the story flipping back and forth to when Matt and Joss first met and to the present day. The flips to the past weren’t random at all but in a chronological order, so giving you all their insights into all the relationships Matt and Joss had to experience to what they were doing now. To be honest I don’t think Matt and Joss’ arrangement would last that long, Matt and Joss found themselves in a lot of relationships and some did seem as if they had the potential to be a long term (I was especially heartbroken for Matt, when his relationship with Megan didn’t work out, honestly who wouldn’t want to be with Matt?). But at the time I was kind of happy when their relationship with other people didn’t work out. Okay Joss and Matt fell into their routine with each other really easily, I guess because they had been with each other for such a long time, they were comfortable around one another, but with the more time they spent around one another, it was obvious that they had something special going on,, more than what the other relationships they had been having had to offer.
At first I just wanted to gulp down everything Czukas had to offer from Matt and Joss’s past in one go, I didn’t  want to be with them in the present for now. I loved seeing their relationship develop and seeing how they were always there for each another through some of the dodgiest relationships. But then as things started getting more serious, I was dying to be in the present with Matt and Joss, I needed to know what would eventually happen between them, also the serious tone of Matt in the present scenes did have me super nervous that things wouldn’t work out the way that I was hoping them to. I’m not actually going to say how things actually turn out for Matt and Joss, but their story is one you don’t want to miss out on.
When Joss met Matt has a sort of restored the faith that I had lost in NA reads, it has definitely made me want to reconsider some NA books and to not to put them all in one typical bracket as I have come to experience. As When Joss met Matt is not your typical NA read; it’s a fun, flirty read which explores a great relationship between two really funny (not broken *first pump*) characters. Joss is an amazing character which I had no problem relating to, she wasn’t you typically damaged character who needed someone to build her confidence. She was quite a confident girl, saying what she felt needed to be said when necessary and although she went through some crappy relationships, she was still willing to get out there (with some encouragement from some great friends, Nellie her friend was awesome in being honest with Joss and telling her how it should be). And Matt where do I even begin with this guy? He was a character any girl would have a hard time resisting, but also he was a great guy, the guy that Joss really needed around.

Overall When Joss met Matt is one of the best NA books I have read in a long time, if you like me have been burned by the NA genre definitely give this book a go. It will leave you with a big dopey grin on your face and warm fuzzies; it’s definitely a book that you won’t regret giving a go 



12 comments:

Amanda Gray said...

I'm hearing so many good things about this book, so so many, and I'd like to dip my toe more into NA, (I have Boomerang which I just can't WAIT to read) so I'll be keeping an eye on this book, maybe ask for it as a gift? Who knows, but your review is just so honest and so lovely and really paints this book in a good light, thanks Jasprit!<3

Jhanz said...

Like Amanda, I've heard so much about the book, but I haven't really had my hands into any of Cahill's work. Will probably list it down to my tbr. :)

Nice review!
www.jhanzey.net

Jenny said...

While I LOVE that these two aren't your classic broken NA characters Jasprit, I have to admit the friends with benefits angle makes me a touch nervous. No matter how ridiculous it is, I only like a couple I know are going to end up together to be with one another throughout, I don't like to see them with other people even if they're not technically together yet. I'm weird like that. Do you see them in relationship with other people a lot in this one, or is more something that's mentioned in passing?

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so happy you enjoyed this, Jasprit! I loved this one and it's definitely one of my favorite NA books. If you like your NAs lighter, I would highly recommend the Boomerang series by Noelle August. I do like my NAs more on the fun side too.
Liz said she was writing more NAs so I can't wait to read them! :D
Lovely review, Jasprit!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I need to read this one. I am so tired of the same old same old in NA, and I can't believe you found a flirty fun one without damaged characters.

Carina Olsen said...

Awesome review Jasprit :D I am so glad you liked this book. I think it looks so so cute. <3 I'm not ready for NA yet, but maybe I shall start with this one one day :) So happy you enjoyed it; and that you thought it was the best NA in a long time :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it sweetie. <3

brandileigh2003 said...

Sounds like some warm and fuzzies I need to try to read. I have liked some NA but not as much lately

Rashika said...

I am so glad to see how much you enjoyed this, Jasprit! :)

I've been hearing a lot of similar things about this one and while I am not sure how I'd feel about them being in a lot of other relationships (I am weird), I really am happy that this is realistic and that we get to see these characters have other normal relationships that don't revolve around one another.

I am also very happy to hear they weren't broken. Seriously, all the broken characters HAVE TO STOP (bleh).

I am so so glad to see you enjoyed this one, Jasprit and hopefully when I get around to reading it, I will too! :D

Fantabulous review, hon <3

Rashika @ The Social Potato

Beena said...

I need to read more romance novels, this one sounds like a fluffy romance though :) I might check it out sometime soon, thanks for putting it under my radar.
<3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

Joy said...

Lol. I've been staying away from this book on account of the guy's eyebrows. I'm superficial, i know.

Jennifer said...

I have not had the best luck with NA either but I like that you renewed your faith in the genre with this one. I'll be adding it to my to read list. Great review and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that this book restored you faith in NA again. Great review, Jasprit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...