Thursday 14 November 2013

Mini-review: World After by Susan Ee

World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2) by Susan Ee
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication date: November 21st 2013
My rating: 4 stars 


In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world. When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken. Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go. Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

World After was one of my highly anticipated reads of the year, luckily for me, I only got around to picking up Angelfall a few months ago and so I didn’t have to wait too long before going back to this fantastic world that Ee created once again.

My heart was truly left broken after the way things had ended in Angelfall, I didn’t want Penryn and Raffe’s incredible journey to come to an end, but especially not the way things had gone down. It seemed totally impossible to get things back on track for both characters. I enjoyed how with World After we were able to get to know Penryn that little bit more, yes we got the chance to be in her head in Angelfall, but with Raffe introduced to us so early in the story, I was easily distracted by his character. But this was not the case yes I did have an incredible longing to see my two favourite characters reunited (highlight to view spoiler).once more let me tell you it did feel at times a really long wait. But this allowed the opportunity for Penryn to come out on her own once more and actually see what she was capable of. I’m glad to say Penryn was once again a fantastically strong character. Despite having her sister and mum with her, things were definitely not the same, she really was all alone. But I admired her courage to once again put herself in dangerous situations.

The World we find ourselves in World After is a more perilous one, angels are hell bent on taking control, and there are only a few humans willing to take the risk. But once again Ee has managed to create an addictive book in World After. With the danger lurking around the corner, you want to close your eyes and not read anymore, but you need to know what happens, you need to know who will triumph and Penryn and Raffe are just characters you don’t want to let go.

World After was a mesmerising follow up to Angelfall, (my only complaint was that I wanted more of Raffe) but other than that I think that this series will definitely be up there as one of my favourite angel book series yet. 


 



23 comments:

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I liked Algelfall, but not as much as everyone else seems to have. Still, I'm excited about this and I think I'll like it, although I'll probably be just as disappointed that Raffe isn't around as much as I want him to be.
Wow, this comment is a mess. In my defence, I'm sleepy and haven't had my coffee yet. :)
Lovely review, Jasprit!

Ari (Reading After Midnight) said...

I loved Angelfall and I loved this one as well. I have the same complaint about needing more Raffe, but I deeply enjoyed it anyways.

Keertana said...

I'm so excited this is a thrilling sequel - I can't wait to read it! Plus, I miss Raffe! ;) Fantastic review, Jasprit!

Lauren @ Love is not a triangle said...

I wanted Raffe to come back sooner too! Thankfully, we get to know a little more about him while he's gone. Loved the peak into his mind. But you're right, this gave us a chance to get to know Penryn better. She became much less calculating, and more human to me in this book, which I love. Great review!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I *still* haven't read the first one though, at this point, I'll probably wait until they're all out so I don't have to pine after characters (I do tend to do that...).

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I *still* have Angelfall on my shelf! I've wanted to read it for a while, but I've seriously yet to read an angel book (let alone a series) that really wowed me. I'm so glad to hear that the second installment is solid, too, though because that makes me want to try it. Wonderful review, Jasprit! :)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I've been through all stages of agony while waiting for this one. I cannot believe that I'll read it soon. Anyhow I'm so happy you enjoyed it and that it didn't disappoint. Great review, Jasprit :)

Jenni said...

Oh my goodness, it has been so long since I have read Angellfall. I remember loving it so very much but I am really worried about going into this one and not remembering anything. So happy that this one was so good for you and that we really get to know the characters more. I've got to get my hands on this!

Jenny said...

SO EXCITED TO READ THIS JASPRIT!!!! I loved Penryn and Raffe in book one, and while I'm disappointed they're not together as much in this book, I still can't wait for those all-too brief moments where they are in each other's presence:) Penryn was so amazing in Angelfall, I'm glad she continues to be so in World After. I need this book in my hands asap!

Emma said...

I haven't even started this series yet though I know it has dominated both ebook and physical. I've heard such great things and I'm always glad that it has a strong sequel. I think I disappointed when you have a great first book then a not so great second. Lovely mini-review Jasprit! :)

brandileigh2003 said...

I haven't read Angelfall, but I want to.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I need to read this series. I bought the first book two years ago and haven't read it yet. I have it scheduled for December and I am excited to dive in and see what all the fuss is about.

Anna said...

I haven't read Angelfall yet but it's a book I've been curious about for a while. Happy to hear you enjoyed the second book as well. Great review :)

Jasprit said...

That's totally me too Mary, I get way too attached to characters!

Jasprit said...

I felt exactly the same way Melissa, before I read this series and Shadows by Paula Weston, I'm so wary about paranormal, angel books, but so glad to have given this series a try. I hope you decide to give this series a try soon. I'm positive that it won't disappoint! :)

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

Not enough Raffe?! BOO! I love him. I can't wait to read this! My pre-order better get here quick next week!

Wendy Darling said...

I'm glad to see your 4 stars...but just from reading the comments, I can tell you I agree--I WANTED MORE RAFFE, too.

*sigh*

Review posting soon, so I'll compare notes with you afterwards.

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sounds like a good series! I haven't read it yet, but I really should try and check out more angel novels.

Carina Olsen said...

I have yet to read book one; but soon :) Glad you enjoyed this sequel! Amazing review. <3 but aw. Sad about not that much of Raffe.. still, excited for it :) Thank you for sharing. <3

Unknown said...

Great review, Jasprit. I'm desperate for a copy but am a little hesitant to pick one up. I don't want to have to wait forever and a day.

Jess said...

I think pretty much everyone didn't love this quite as much as Angelfall because of the lack of Raffe but I actually really appreciated getting to know Penryn's family more and only anticipated that reunion between Penryn and Raffe even more! I think this series has definitely become my favourite angel series and I hope the rest of the books continue to live up to the same standard!

Amanda said...

It seems as though most peoples' biggest complaints related to this series is the long wait, so that's awesome you were able to primarily bypass the wait, Jasprit! Penryn's characterization was definitely my favorite part of Angelfall (not Raffe, I know crazy of me), so I look forward to seeing her be further developed in this one. Although seeing more of Raffe isn't a bad thing by any means. :)

Chantelle said...

I haven't read this yet because of exams, but it is definitely a high priority! Thanks for the review without spoilers, so happy that it didn't disappoint! Although I was looking forward to more Raffe :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...