Sunday 24 November 2013

Showcase Sunday #40

 


Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea. The aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.

Hi all, I hope you had a fantastic week, I had another great haul of books this week and I only ended up buying one book (which is great after the size of my tbr pile). 





A big thank you to Hodder & Stoughton, Electric Monkey, Kayleigh from K-Books and Siiri from Little Pieces of Imagination.

Twinmaker sounds utterly fantastic to me, I know the reviews have been a mixed bunch, but I'm really excited about starting this book, I'm not sure what to make of the cover though. My cousin and I (another bookworm who totally understands my love of books) have been gifting each other books for our birthdays/Christmases for the last few years. This year we decided not to wait until Christmas and just give each other our books early, so thanks to my cousin I have Six Months Later and Secret Society Girl to look forward to. Siiri from Little Pieces of Imagination has quickly become one of my favourite blogging buddies, she writes the most awesome reviews and leaves lovely comments which always make my day. She was awesome in gifting me with a copy of Legend for my birthday (whereas all I've done is overwhelm her with my talk of Scandal!). I actually made a start of this book too, and so far I like it! 

Lets see what Rachel received



Rumor Has It by Jill Shalvis | Playing the Playboy by Noelle Adams | Allegiant by Veronica Roth | I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga.

Thank you to Berkley, Patchwork Press and Netgalley.

I didn’t much for review but I’m excited for what I got.  I read wonderful reviews of Rumor Has It by Andrea @The Bookish Babe and Jenny @Supernatural Snark so I’m excited to read this small town romance! I loved Seducing the Enemy so I’m thrilled to read the next one in the series: Playing the Playboy.

I HAD to buy Allegiant for my husband.  I was not spared from the spoiler extravaganza on Goodreads and I’m not upset by that, though.  I’m glad I found out before I finished the series. No thank you!  Ironically, my husband LOVED it and gave it 5 stars! But I knew this would not be for me. 

I have a physical copy of I Hunt Killers which was gifted to me by Wendy @ The Midnight Garden a while back.  I bought the audio version because I’m usually short on time and this was a way to squeeze it in as it was our poll winner for my next read on our Monthly Recap.   I love horror and all things scary but I have to say this book creeps me the HELL OUT!  *shivers* But I am enjoying it.  There is one particular scene that almost pushed me over the edge. The scene with Rusty, Jasper’s childhood dog.  Nooooo!!!!!!  I need to scrub that scene from my brain. 

We'd love to see which books you received in your book hauls, so feel free to leave a link in our comments below! 

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Twin maker and Months later! sound good :D The Legend Series is amazing, read that first :D

-Dannielle

Unknown said...

Gahhh, I had the same thing happen to me with Allegiant. I read TWO different spoiler-full reviews. And not even on Goodreads, but on blogs! And they were well known blogs too. I was so upset, no spoiler warning or anything? Okay, going to stop ranting now, lol.

The Dollhouse Asylum is on my TBR, I'll be checking back to see what you think of it!

-Danie
www.bookish-brunette.com

Maji Bookshelf said...

Six Months Later was a great book, as was Legend! I also read the first secret society girl novel and really enjoyed it!

- Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Keertana said...

Jasprit, Past Perfect is just adorable and I'm planning to get a copy of Secret Society Girl to read myself as I've been hearing great things about it - I hope it's good!

Rachel, I Hunt Killers is fantastic, so I hope you enjoy it, and I really need to get to Allegiant soon. I've been putting off reading it because of all the mixed reviews, but I'm hoping you enjoy it.

Lovely haul, ladies!(:

Abby Joy said...

Legend was gooooood!!
Happy reading ;)

Richa said...

Twinmaker sounds awesome, I really need to get to that soon. And I can't wait to read The Dollhouse Asylum! Legend is amazing <3
Yikes, Allegiant. Really did not like that. Sorry you got spoiled, but it's a good thing you're not reading it!
Great haul, guys :)

My haul

Melanie said...

Jasprit: Twinmaker and Six Months Later were pretty 'meh' IMO, still had good things just not particularly outstanding. I hope you like them more! I look forward to your thoughts on Legend--I need to get to that soon.

Rachel: Bleh, I was not a huge fan of Allegiant. I didn't hate or love it. I hope you love I Hunt Killers! It sounds great.

Happy reading, ladies! <33

Shirley said...

Ngawww, that's so sweet of you and your cousin to gift each other books! I totally wish I had a cousin to share a love of books with :P

I'm in the same boat as you Rachel! I was accidentally spoiled while browsing GR and there's no way I'll be reading the last book.

HAPPY READING<333

Siiri said...

Jasprit, I really want to read Six Months Later, it sounds so good. Haha, you do not bore me with Scandal talk. Basically all the shows I watch are on a weekly hiatus so I need something else to pass my time with when I'm tired of writing all these papers. I'll most likely end up checking Scandal out this upcoming week if I'm not too busy with schoolwork :) yayy

Rachel, hahahahaha. I hope that you'll be able to sleep with both eyes closed. I've yet to start this series, but I can't wait to dig in, though I'm a big big big coward myself. Playing the Playboy--love this title, I think that based on the titles in this series, I'd very much enjoy myself reading these, but I'm a bit tired of NA/adult books unless they're fantasy or pnr or stuff like that, then I'm not really into them right now. Or you know.. Katie McGarry, Colleen Hoover and such. They're the exception :D Ha. Oh, and perhaps your husband would want to review Allegiant on the blog. It'd be fun to read a guy's take on things as I've come to love Eric's perspective on Andrea's blog.

Have a great weekend, girls!

The Cover Contessa said...

I loved Allegiant, unlike most people. I also gave it 5 stars. Legend was quite good. Dollhouse Asylum is good but odd. I really want to read twin maker! Happy reading great haul!

Alyssa said...

I love seeing the foreign editions of books! Twinmaker is kind of cool, and so is Allegiant. I got my copy of Allegiant last week (FINALLY), but by now, I've seen so many spoilers and negative reviews and I'm just like meh. On my own time, I'll read it. Ooo, but I really liked Legend. I never read Prodigy, because I heard sad things about the ending, but I think I'll re-read Legend, and then binge-read Prodigy and Champion. A plan! :D

Anyway, I hope you love all of your new books! And have a fabulous week :)

Check out my STS post!

Rachel said...

I'm sort of burn out on the usual NA stuff too, Siiri. And lol, I'll have to run that by my husband, but he did love the series! I enjoy Andrea's Eric on her blog, too. :)

Rachel said...

I'll have to tell my husband that, Brooke! He'll be thrilled. He frowns on my decision to not read it. :)

Carina Olsen said...

Looks like lots of awesome books :D I hope you will both enjoy them all. <3 I really, really loved Legend. Sigh. :)

Anna said...

Great haul! Playing the Playboy and Six Months Later both look good; hope you guys enjoy! :)
My STS

brandileigh2003 said...

Past Perfect looks good, hope you enjoy!

Jenny said...

I can't wait to see what you think of The Twinmaker Jasprit! I'm super excited to that one and will be on the lookout for your review:)

So funny that your husband loved Allegiant Rachel! I think my husband would too (if he read YA books that is), I think guys on average are likely to be much bigger fans of the "go down in a blaze of glory" type of ending than we are. I know that ending wouldn't work for me, so like you, I'm staying far, far away. I hope you like Rumor Has it! I just thought it was adorable:)


















Shooting Stars Mag said...

I really want to read I Hunt Killers. It sounds creepy, but oh so fascinating! Looks like you both got some great books. LOVE gifting books to people.

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I Hunt Killers has been sitting on my shelf for way too long! I think I'll have some more time next year, so I will definitely make a start on it then. And I'm curious about The Dollhouse Asylum! I was excited about it initially, but some of the mixed reviews put me off slightly. Looking forward to seeing what you think! :)

Miss Page-Turner said...

Six Months Later sounds really good!! And Past Perfect is such a cute read. Enjoy them all:)

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed Six Months Later, Jasprit. I hope you do too.

Yay for Rumor Has It! I really enjoy Shalvis's style. (Thanks for the mention) And I love that you didn't read Allegiant yet your husband gave it 5 stars.

Enjoy your book, ladies!

Unknown said...

I just happened to scroll back up & see these comments. Eric's blushing! lol

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I see some amazing books girls! :) I haven't read Six Months Later but it sounds like a great read :) Also with all reviews for Twinmaker it's hard not to be intrigued by it! :)
I cannot wait to read I hunt Killers. I have heard only great things about it and I've been planing on reading it, but it always slips my mind.
Great hauls ladies :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Yay for your husband loving Allegiant, Rachel! I actually thought it was a really fitting (albeit horribly sad) ending. It worked for me though! Jasprit, I can't WAIT to see what you think of Twinmaker! It's high on my list of must-read titles :)

Unknown said...

I've had Secret Society Girl for years but haven't read it!

Unknown said...

Lovely haul, ladies. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on these. Twinmaker looks good. :)

Have a good one!

Unknown said...

Yay! You have Six Months Later! Siiri sounds great (and you watch Scandal?!). Also, love that you have I Hunt Killers because I've heard amazing things about that one although I haven't read it for myself. Can't wait to see you ladies' reviews!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...