Wednesday 20 November 2013

Review: Goodbye Rebel Blue by Shelley Coriell

Goodbye, Rebel Blue by Shelley Coriell
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams
Publication date: October 1st 2013
My rating: 3 stars 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17290286-goodbye-rebel-blue?ac=1
Rebecca Blue is a rebel with an attitude whose life is changed by a chance encounter with a soon-to-be dead girl. Rebel (as she’s known) decides to complete the dead girl’s bucket list to prove that choice, not chance, controls her fate. In doing so, she unexpectedly opens her mind and heart to a world she once dismissed—a world of friendships, family, and faith. With a shaken sense of self, she must reevaluate her loner philosophy—particularly when she falls for Nate, the golden boy do-gooder who never looks out for himself.  

Rebecca Blue or Rebel as she prefers to be known as is a rebel; she’s been a rebel at heart since a young age. Instead of going to school as a regular child, she was “home schooled” whist she and her mum travelled. Her mum was a photographer and loved taking shots in the moment. However the care free fun life that Rebel led was soon ripped away when her mum died and she had to go live with her uncle and family. Rebel still had the rebellious side to her growing up; she streaked her hair blue, was barely passing at school and just floating by through life. That was until Kennedy Green and her bucket list strolled into her life. After one life changing detention with Kennedy, Kennedy ends up crashing her car and leaving behind a bucket list only Rebel knows about. Rebel wasn’t a friend of Kennedy, but she feels like she’s left with all the responsibility of checking off some of the items off the list.

Deciding to attempt some of the items of Kennedy’s bucket list was a sort of life changing experience for Rebel. It made her want to become more involved and actually wake up and take notice of things around her. Things weren’t all that bad, she had a family who cared about her and provided a roof over her head and a friend in Macey who needed a comfort and encouragement the most at this time. Also by doing some of these things off Kenney’s list, they made Rebel attempt things she would never have considered; planting trees at her school, volunteering, taking up running and meeting Nate. Nate was the best thing that could have happened to Rebel. I just wished she would quit continually pushing him away and cutting him short when he was speaking the truth and she thought she was lying. Through Nate, she also got to meet his family and learn some great life lessons along the away.

Rebel went through a pretty big learning curve in Goodbye Rebel Blue, and despite her trying her hardest to not want to be part of it was an important thing that she had to do. There is great character growth along the way for Rebel; nice escapades of watching her complete her tasks and some eye opening scenes too. Goodbye Rebel Blue may not have been one of my most memorable reads of the year, but it’s a poignant story nonetheless.



19 comments:

Shirley said...

Whenever I read 'Rebel' I keep thinking the main character's male! I love how there's character growth in this book, it's nice to see characters learn from experiences :) I might not pick this up since I'm currently only reading books I think I'll love and this sounds like an 'average' book for me. But I'm glad you enjoyed this overall <3

Melanie said...

I totally get what you mean by a forgettable book! Maybe fun to read but you'll forget it in a few weeks.

Lovely review, hun! <33

Unknown said...

Great review, Jasprit. I have this on my pile but it doesn't sound like I'm going to get to it soon - according to your review anyway. I just don't have time for unremarkable reads nowadays. Lol.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I think I ended up liking this one a bit more than you, Jasprit, but I definitely agree with your thoughts on Rebel's character. She was, at times, a bit aggressive, and it overshadowed a lot of the highlights of the novel with Nate. Great review :)

aparajita said...

great review.... this sounds like a good book, maybe i'll check it out

Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

Anonymous said...

It's a shame that this one was a bit forgettable for you, but I do like the sound of the book. Although, I can tell I will be frustrated with Rebel trying to push away Nate. I hate when MCs do that. I like that she grows though.
I see that you're reading The Promise of Amazing. I hope you're enjoying it. :)
Lovely review, Jasprit.

Keertana said...

I'm not sure if I'll pick this up since it doesn't make that lasting impact which I like all my books to do, but I'm glad there were still redeeming qualities nevertheless. Great review, Jasprit!

Jenny said...

I don't love that she continually pushes Nate away and cuts him off, but it sounds like she does undergo a great deal of growth in this book and that's always something I look for when reading Jasprit! I'm keeping this on my maybe list:) I hope The Promise of Amazing is one of those memorable reads for you!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

It's definitely an interesting way to get to know a character -- through another character's bucket list. Sounds like a good read, even though it wasn't a standout!

Jess said...

I really love the sound of this one but Rebel sounds like she might annoy me which is putting me off a bit. Shame this one wasn't a memorable read for you Jas, it sounds like it had potential which is always a shame.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I do want to read this one. I think Rebel could come off as annoying or frustrate me at times, but overall, I like the sound of the book!

Carina Olsen said...

Great review. <3 I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it :) Do not think it would be for me, though. Sigh. Not yet :D But anyway. Thank you for sharing. <3

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I kind of gave up on reading this after several lukewarm reviews. I don't doubt that it's a pretty decent read and that the character growth Rebel goes through is impressive, but I don't think it's foe me. :)

Siiri said...

I don't know why, but when you say mum, it makes me all giggly. Heh. It's cute. Mum. (god, how I love British accents!) These people-think-they're-lie-detectors plot twists, if you can even call it that, may be infuriating as hell so I get why you were frustrated. I'm glad that you mostly enjoyed it though:) btw, what is it with you and bucketlists or f-it lists lately? :D you're on a roll, my friend!

Rachel said...

Ah, bucket lists. I like the small twist to this typical story. I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if it won't be lingering. Its always great watching a character grow and choose to live with others.

Unknown said...

I always try to avoid books about bucket lists and dying, but I've heard good things about this. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jasprit.

brandileigh2003 said...

This sounds like something I would enjoy

Lauren @ Love is not a triangle said...

For some reason I've grown a bit tired of "bucket list" plots. Also this reminds me a lot of NONE OF THE REGULAR RULES by Erin Downing. I'm also a stickler when it comes to romance and one that bugs me can turn off a book (sometimes I'm shallow). NOt sure whether this book will be for me, but I'm glad you mostly enjoyed the story. I do like seeing lots of character growth in the MC, glad that was rewarding!

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

I think I'll enjoy the character growth of Rebel - thanks for bringing this book to my attention. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...