Friday 1 November 2013

Monthly Recap #2


Hello everyone, can you believe it's already November? The last month has seriously flown by, my reading month hadn't started off really well and I thought that it would end up disappointing too, but then Fractured came along! Wow this book, anyway here's how recap of October, and remember to help us decide which book we should read this month from our tbr piles by voting in the poll at the end of this post.


Number of Books read:
Jasprit: 10
Rachel: 19

Highest rating:
Jasprit: 5 stars
Rachel: 5 stars

Lowest rating:
Jasprit: DNF :(
Rachel: DNF

Books reviewed:
Jasprit: How to Love by Katie Cotugno
Just One Year by Gayle Forman
Time After Time by Tamara Ireland Stone
Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Fractured by Sarah Fine
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Rachel: Isn't She Lovely by Lauren Layne
3:59 by Gretchen McNeil
The Devil's Metal by Karina Halle
Finding Cinderella by Colleen Hoover
Unfed by Kirsty McKay
Seducing the Enemy by Noelle Adams
Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Best read of last month:
Jasprit: Fractured by Sarah Fine
Rachel: Tie between Isn't She Lovely and Stolen.

Book which surprised me the most: 
Jasprit: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I hadn't really enjoyed Rowell's first book that I had picked up Eleanor & Park, so I was a little wary going into Fangirl, but this book was definitely what I needed at the moment, it was a refreshing and funny read, but also dealt with serious issues is a brilliant way. 

Rachel: Finding Cinderella by Colleen Hoover. I never thought I'd say I'd love an insta-love romance, but I bow to Ms. Hoover's writing talents!

Fictional crush of the month:
Jasprit: I have two this month, Malachi from Fractured and Levi from Fangirl, both guys were different in the own respects, Malachi could bring instant harm to anyone who ever hurt you, whereas Levi could bring a smile to your face, whenever you're feeling low. They both hurt my heart so much, maybe Malachi that little bit more, but they both brought me out of slumps when I needed it the most.

Rachel: Harrison from Seducing the Enemy! He's moody, broody, and devastatingly gorgeous! His sweet and caring actions betray the tough guy persona he likes to put out there. *swoon*!

Three books I'm most looking forward to this month:
Jasprit: The Edge of Never by J. A Redmerski, a lot of my blogging friends have loved this book, but one blogger who has been this books number one fan is Siiri from Little Pieces of Imagination. She was so right in telling me to read Easy, so I've decided to read this asap too!
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner. Have you see the gorgeous cover to this book and the reviews so far have been thoroughly promising, so I can't wait to read this.
The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine. How cute does this book sound? And I think it'll be perfect to pick up during this horrid weather. 

Rachel: The Chocolate Thief by Laura Florand. I've been dying to read this since reading (and drooling over, hello, chocolate!) Keertana's @ Ivy Book Bindings reviews for the series! 
Crash Into You by Katie McGarry. This is one of my all-time favorite YA romance series and I can't wait to read Isaiah's story! 
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. I've loved Persuasion (movie form) in every version I've watched. Although, my favorite version is the one with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. I can't wait to see how this re-telling turns out. 

Bookish Photo:


Maggie Stiefvater signing for The Scorpio Races

Readers Vote! 
And now to the fun bit where we want you guys to take part. Rachel and I have enormous tbr piles, so we've decided that each month we will let you decide what we need to read asap. Last month was a great success for us, with both Rachel and I enjoying the books you voted for us: Stolen by Lucy Christopher and Easy by Tammara Webber. We can't wait to see what you guys pick for us, the poll will be open until the 5th!


Which book should Jasprit read this month?

Which book should Rachel read this month?

35 comments:

Melanie said...

Voted! Rach, you must must must read Six Impossible Things because I have been wanting to read it and I'd like to see what you think of it. The sequel, Wildlife is amazing though! And Jasprit, this Levi dude sounds cute, can't wait to meet him in Fangirl!

Lovely post, ladies! <33

Siiri said...

Oh my babies! I'm sorry you both had to DNF a book, but you know what? That's also a good thing. Why try to force oneself to read something one's clearly not enjoying. I should do that more often O.o Yay yo Fangirl and Finding Cinderella. LOVED FC and it was such a great story with insta-love done right. Plus that twist? Never saw it coming. I can't wait to read Fangirl though :) Malachi--I WANNA MEET HIMMMM!!! Plus, girls, your choices for November--love 'em! I'm a little biased with The Edge of Never (btw, I received my paperback copy of it yesterday. It has the final scene before the epilogue from Andrew's POV and I started bawling just from reading it. I. Love. That. Book. So. Hard. I hope you love it too, Jasprit:) It's OK if you don't though. Taste varies and all that jazz.) OH AND MAGGIE STIEFVATER?!?!?!!! I wish to meet her someday, but it's probably very unlikely. One can always dream, right? ;) As for the polls, I'm torn between Unspoken and Cinder, but since I haven't seen you, Jasprit, reading a lot of sci-fi, but I know you love your originality, world-building, smooth writing and great characters, then my vote goes for Cinder. I just recently read it (gave it another try) and surprisingly ended up enjoying it and I just ordered a HC copy of Scarlet and can't wait for Cress so... I'm under the spell of the Lunar it seems. As for Rachel, I only know three of these titles. I haven't read any of them though, but I'm, again, torn. I wish to vote for two: Black City and I Hunt Killers since I want to read them both. However, IHK seems more like a halloween story. Giselle told me that it's very gory and bloody and twisted in many ways, but really entertaining so I think it suits perfectly for the month of November. Awesome recap, girls! x

Keertana said...

Rachel, I'm so excited you're planning to read The Chocolate Thief! It's the lightest of the series, so it's also my favorite because as much as I love dark depth, there's something about a light-hearted fluffy read that gets to me every time. It's perfect to read now with left-over Halloween candy to munch! ;)

And Jasprit, I have to agree that Fangirl was a surprising read. I didn't think I'd enjoy it so much and Levi was certainly full of swoon! ;) I'm going to be reading These Broken Stars this month as well, so I'm hoping it lives up to all the hype! *fingers crossed*

Wonderful re-cap, ladies!

tthepageturner said...

Rachel - I adored FDSTS, it actually encouraged me to read Persuasion! ^^

Jasprit - Elanor and Park wasn't really my cup of tea, either. And unfortunately nor was Fangirl. I do love the covers for her books, though. :3 Curious to see what you think of These Broken Star, I was excited for it too, but again it just didn't work for me.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I do so hate to DNF books but October was a rough reading month for me, with lots of books set to the side. But at least you had some surprises and 5-star reads! That makes up for a DNF big time.

Book Blather said...

I'm off to read Jasprit's review of Fractured next! I'm so glad you enjoyed Finding Cinderella Rachel, that's on my ereader at the moment, I'm waiting for a rainy day to enjoy it on though. :-) Colleen Hoover is amazing, isn't she? Cinder's on my reading pile too, maybe Japrit and I shall end up reading it at the same time. Have a great weekend guys.

Jenny said...

MALACHI! YES!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, my enthusiasm for him gets away from me sometimes. I just love him so much Jasprit! And I already knew I wanted to read Seducing the Enemy so I can't wait to meet Harrison. And you guys have such great books coming up, I can't wait to read your thoughts. Particularly on For Darkness Shows the Stars and These Broken Stars, I loved both of those so much. Clearly, I'm a fan of stars ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jenny! MALACHI!! <3
I got Fractured this week and I can't wait to read it. It sounds like it's going to be fabulous from your review.
Also, I'm so glad you tried, Easy, Jasprit and enjoyed it! I'm not sure what you would think of J.A Redmerski's books because I know they are not for everyone but I hope you like it. I'm going to be reading These Broken Stars this month too. Would you want to do a buddy read? Let me know! :)

Rachel, Harrison sounds absolutely wonderful and I loved your review of the book, so I'm getting a copy of it today. :) I can't wait to see what I think of it.
Also, I'm excited that you're reading For Darkness Shows the Stars. It's a bit slow, but it's worth it.

What books did you guys DNF? I dislike having to DNF books too, but it's happened quite a bit this year for me.

I hope you guys have a wonderful reading month! :)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I agree that Cinder is a must read as I have to read it myself, but Jasprit you must read The Storyteller! I beg youuuuuu!! :) It's such an amazing story.

Anyhow I'm so glad you enjoyed this month and you've read so many books. Nice job girls. We all have so many amazing books to look forward this month (Rachel I invite you for a joint happy dance because of Crash Into You).

Great post girls :)

Leanna Elle said...

I need to meet this Malachi guy!! How has this series completely passed me by? (Until you mentioned it to me on twitter, Jasprit). I feel so out of the loop!

I agree - The Promise of Amazing looks super cute!

Can't wait to see what you think of Crash Into You, Rachel. Hope you love it! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Aw, sorry you both had a DNF this month, but you also both had five star reads, so I guess that makes up for it!! Love these posts. I like the fun re-cap. :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Terrific month, ladies. I so agree about your book crushes, Jasprit, I loved both Eli and Malachi as well. I hope you have a fantastic reading month. I totally ended up voting for the books that are in the lead for your next month. I want to read I Hunt Killers as well. Have a wonderful weekend!

Jasprit said...

Siiri you definitely have to meet Malachi asap! He is like one of my top fictional crushes! And I really do hope that I end up loving The Edge of Never too. Thanks for voting, looks like Cinder's way ahead so far!

Jasprit said...

Yay for Fractured Nick! Just be prepared with this book, it was one heck of an emotional ride! I would love to do a buddy read of These Broken Stars with you, the reviews have been great so far, so I hope we both end up enjoying it. I had to DNF Red, it was just not what I expected, I think I got to like 33% before I thought it was too much for me!

Jasprit said...

I'm so happy to see readers jump onto the Malachi bandwagon Leanna, this series is fantastic, so I really hope you end up enjoying it too! :)

Unknown said...

You ladies had quite a month! I'm looking forward to reading all the wonderful reviews you'll both be writing for November.

Malachi. Swoooon is right. I really must read Fangirl soon. I feel like I'm the only poor sap left.

So…which books did you ladies DNF? I need to know. ;)

Unknown said...

Ladies, you had an amazing month! I look forward to seeing what you bring in November!

Pooja. S said...

Voted! Monthly Recap is so much fun. Love the feature, guys :) I read Finding Cinderella after reading your review and TOTALLY agree. INSTALOVESWWOON. :,)

Jess said...

I am loving these monthly recaps!

Jasprit - I'm so excited to check out Sarah Fine this month after all your ravings about the series! I'm also really excited that you're going to be reading The Edge of Never because I loved that book. I hope you enjoy These Broken Stars as that's on my TBR for next month :)

Rachel- 19 books read!? What an achievement! I'm really looking forward to reading Crash Into You as well and I'm really curious to hear what you make of For Darkness Shows The Stars because that's been on my wishlist for ages!

I've voted! And my votes aren't doing badly on either poll at the minute ;) happy reading for another month lovelies!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

These Broken Stars is coming up very soon on my tbr as well and I'm very much looking forward to it. You're right that the cover is gorgeous, and the reviews have been pretty enthusiastic, which makes me very hopeful.
I voted for The Thief because that series is just amazing, and I Hunt Killers for Rachel. I know she'll like Jasper.

Rachel said...

I hope so too, Leanna. I've loved the other books in the series, but it seems a lot of readers didn't care for Isaiah's story as much. We'll see. :)

Rachel said...

I had no idea there was a sequel, Melanie! I'll eventually read it even if it doesn't win the poll. :)

Carina Olsen said...

Oh, awesome post :D You both read some amazing books this month. I really loved Fangirl as well. <3 Levi is AWESOME :D Happy reading for November. <3

Rachel said...

I love Dexter and I hear it's a YA sort of version, so I'm excited to read I Hunt Killers, Siiri. It looks like it's winning so far. :)

Rachel said...

I couldn't finish Premeditated, Nick. :(

I find I DNF more and more. I just won't torture myself anymore by forcing myself to finish if something isn't working.

Rachel said...

I'll tweet you, Joy, but it was Premeditated. Didn't like the main character and the writing was not my cup of tea. :/

Rachel said...

Oh, yay, Pooja! I'm so happy you loved it! :)

Wendy Darling said...

I'm sorry, but I stopped reading as soon as I saw the Maggie photo so I can GO FIND THAT post.

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Jasprit said...

Yay I'm glad that you're finally going to give this series a try Jess, I'll have my fingers crossed that you end up loving it just as much as Rachel and I did! And thank you, I hope November is full of excellent reads for you too! :)

Jasprit said...

Mine was Red by Alison Cherry

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I voted for Cinder and Six Impossible Things - enjoy, ladies!!

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

Love this post... I voted for Unspoken cause that book is different, though Cinder is pretty great as well (read both?) and for Rachel I voted Black City but I haven't read it so it's completely up to you ...

YA Anonymous said...

I voted for The Thief and Six Impossible Things. Cinder and A Straight Line to My Heart are my backup votes. Can I vote twice? ;) Rachel, just wait until you read The Chocolate Thief. Le swoon! Just make sure to have some chocolate handy. I adore Ciaran Hinds. Jasprit, I feel you on the slump. I love that your DNF comes with a sad face though. :) The Thief was actually a bit slow for me but that series is SO good. Hope you try it even if it loses the vote.

-Maggie

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I totally voted for UNSPOKEN and BLACK CITY. Both are books that worked really well for me, and I hope they do for you ladies, as well - regardless of when you choose to read them! :)

Rachel said...

Fangirl was a brilliant story! I just cannot believe I once thought it was only going to be a past the time read. Levi is one of my guys too Jaspirit. I once thought good instant love books are basically nonexistant, Rachel, so I need to read Finding Cinderella. Fantastic month you two!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...