Sunday 1 December 2013

Monthly Recap #3


Hello everyone, I hope you all had a fabulous November! This month for me really consisted of a mixed bunch of books, I think I'm still on the lookout for something to totally wow me, hopefully I'll discover something over the Christmas break. Without further ado here's our recap of November, and remember to help us decide which book we should read this month from our tbr piles by voting in the poll at the end of this post.


Number of Books read:
Jasprit: 8
Rachel: 17

Highest rating:
Jasprit: 4 stars
Rachel: 5 stars

Lowest rating:
Jasprit: 3 stars
Rachel: DNF

Books reviewed:
Jasprit: Lila Shortcuts by Sarah Alderson
While You're Away by Jessa Holbrook
The F-it List by Julie Halpern
World After by Susan Ee
Goodbye Rebel Blue by Shelley Coriell

Rachel: The Curse Workers Series by Holly Black
The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat #1) by Laura Florand
Crash into You by Katie McGarry
The Chocolate Touch (Amour et Chocolat #4) by Laura Florand
The Chocolate Heart (Amour et Chocolat #5) by Laura Florand
Full Blooded (Jessica McClain #1) by Amanda Carlson 

Best read of last month:
Jasprit: I don't think I could choose between Roomies by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando or Ink is Thicker than Water by Amy Spalding.

Rachel: The Chocolate Touch (Amour et Chocolat #4) by Laura Florand. I’m enamored with this series if you couldn’t tell by now! This was such an amazingly sensual and emotional read for me! Plus, the setting of Paris and all the chocolate made it a to-die-for read!

Book which surprised me the most: 
Jasprit: Roomies by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando. I went into this book not knowing a single thing about it and the way my reading mood has been lately, it couldn't have come at a better time. I read it in like two days (which is the quickest I've read a book in a long time!). The authors did a great job at exploring the wonderful story between our two great MC's, but also focusing on their individual lives. Also there were two great fictional crushes too! 

Rachel: I haven’t reviewed it yet, but I finished I Hunt Killers (it was the readers pick for me on our last monthly recap) and it was disturbing! I didn’t expect it to be quite so brutal with it being a YA read but, wow. I did enjoy it when I wasn’t completely horrified. 

Fictional crush of the month:
Jasprit: Either Oliver from Ink is Thicker than Water by Amy Spalding or Mark from Roomies by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando. Both guys were so considerate and at times so misunderstood. Sometimes I wouldn't have minded stepping in and giving them both a hug! 

Rachel: Dominique Richard from The Chocolate Touch! Last month I picked a moody, broody male and this month I picked another one. I see a trend here… Dominique was delicious! *sigh* 

Three books I'm most looking forward to this month:
Jasprit: Twinmaker by Sean Williams. The reviews haven't been that great for this book so far, but I think that the world created by Sean sounds absolutely amazing! 
Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott. Can you believe that it's been over two and half years since I last read a book by Elizabeth Scott and that I've only read two books by her? Heartbeats looks and sounds amazing! Also I have a 4.25 average from my Goodreads friends that have already read this. 
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty. I think it's about high time that I started this series.. 

Rachel: Rumor Has It by Jill Shalvis: Love the sound of a down home romance with quirky secondary characters. 
Sempre by J.M. Darhower: I’m nervous to read this because the subject material sounds dark, but I’ve heard nothing but good things. 
Kiss (Amour et Chocolat #2) by Laura Florand: I simply LOVE this series! 

Bookish Photo:




I was lucky to go to a author event with the lovely Sarra Manning and Leila Sales this week, I had such a great time, I will have my recap up for you hopefully one day this week. 


Readers Vote! 
And now to the fun bit where we want you guys to take part. Rachel and I have enormous tbr piles, so we've decided that each month we will let you decide what we need to read asap. Last month you picked Cinder by Marissa Meyer for me and I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga for Rachel. My final rating for Cinder was 3 stars and I hope to have my review up soon. Whereas Rachel really enjoyed I hunt Killers. We can't wait to see what you guys pick for us, the poll will be open until the 5th!



Which book should Jasprit read this month?

Which book should Rachel read this month?

10 comments:

Shirley said...

Oohhh I haven't heard much about Ink is Thicker Than Water, but you seem to really like it Jasprit, so I'll have to stalk it on GR :)) AND YOU MET LEILA SALES! I'M SO JEALOUS. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE "THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE" <3333

Heheee Rachel, you really love the Amour et Chocolat series! The male characters seem to be very swoon-worthy :P

tthepageturner said...

Ooh, I've seen I Hunt Killers around but I've never felt a pull to buy myself a copy...until now! I'm looking forward to your review, Rachel.

I was looking forward to reading Twinmaker too, but I have to agree with the negative reviews...I really wasn't a fan. Hope it works better for your, Jasprit. :)

Keertana said...

Rachel, I'm so glad you're enjoying Florand's books so much! Dominique Richard really is incredibly swoon-worthy! ;) Also, I'm thrilled you read I Hunt Killers! It was such a surprisingly good read. I haven't read the sequel yet because of the reputed cliffhanger ending, but I'm looking forward to it.

Jasprit, I'm so glad you enjoyed Roomies - I'm really looking forward to that one! It's so exciting that you met Sales and Manning - two of my favorite authors! - and I can't wait to see what you think of Heartbeat and Sloppy Firsts. I've heard great things about the former and just LOVE the latter so I hope you do too!

Lovely re-cap, ladies!

Siiri said...

Oh, wow. Rachel you were really on a roll this month, huh? :D I'm glad that you enjoyed I Hunt Killers so much, but I'm so freaking scared of that book. I'm a big big coward and have no idea how I'll be able to get some sleep since EVERYONE, just as you, says it's scaaaaarryy.

Jasprit, why, oh why do you have to have so many great books in your voting list? Can you do one where I'm NOT torn over what to vote for? I voted for BRR though since I just read that one a few months ago and oh, man! It was so so so good. A totally different dystopian book than I'm used to, plus, the main character was awesome once she grew some girl-balls and started to think about other people :D It was such a fun adventure and I can't wait to read Rebel Heart. I hope you enjoy :) PS. I so want to read Roomies thanks to you.

Maji Bookshelf said...

Love this post! WOW Rachel! 17 books! that's amazing. I REALLY want to read Roomies.. kinda passed up on a chance to review t *Facepalm* but oh well.. as for Heartbeat, I really liked it too! i breezed through it (it's very short!).

Hope you guys have a fantastic reading month for December!
- Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Unknown said...

I love these recaps. Awesome job, ladies!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

You ladies had such a busy month! Rachel, I know exactly what you mean about I Hunt Killers, it surprised me too, but I loved it. And I'll be reading Rumor Has IT soon too, totally Jenny's fault.
Jasprit, I voted for Blood Red Road in this case. I'd be really curious to see what you think.
Enjoy your reads!

Aneeqah said...

DANG, Rachel, you were on FIRE this month, with those 17 books!! I'm glad to see that you're enjoying Florand's series so much, I think I'm going to be picking at least the first one up during winter break, just for something light and fun to curl up with as it gets colder. =) Also, I definitely agree that I Hunt Killers was very bold, in terms of its graphicness, but I still really enjoyed it! The POV was written so well, and I love how different the MC was. It was great. Also, I'm voting for Hold Me Closer, Necromancer for your read for this month, just because I really want to see what you think of it! I've heard several good things about it, but I've been on the fence about it for such a long time. So if you end up liking it, I'll pick it up as well! =)

Jasprit, it looks like we read a similar number of books this month! November was quite a crazy month for me. ;) I've heard only a few passing remarks about Ink is Thicker than Water, but seeing your love for it makes me want to go get it!! I really love the sound of it, so I'm going to be putting that on the TBR list for December. =) Also, I'm glad you really loved Roomies! I've heard many good things, but I want to read that one closer to the time when I move out for college. ;) I saw Twinmaker at my library the other day, but decided to pass up on it, but if you like it, I'll have to go back and grab it! I'll be watching to see what you think of it. =) I'm voting for Blood Red Road for you. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVEN'T READ IT!! It's seriously fantastic, after you get used to the writing, and it seems like something you will really enjoy.

Lovely wrap-up post, ladies! <3 I hope you manage to read everything you'd like to before the New Year rolls around!

Jess said...

I absolutely love these monthly recap posts! Jasprit, I'm hoping to read Roomies this month and am really looking forward to it and I'm going to add Ink is Thicker Than Water to my wishlist as well. I can't wait to read your recap of the event and I hope you shake off the reading slump and read some great books in December! Rachel, you have been flying through the chocolate books and I've added the first book to my wishlist! I'm also really looking forward to your review for I Hunt Killers - I've had my eye on that one! Happy reading for another month lovelies! :)

Carina Olsen said...

Yay, sounds like you guys had an awesome month :D Thank you for sharing. <3 Have not read any of those books yet, but they do look great :) Hope you guys will have the best December. <3 with lots of reading ;p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...