Thursday 5 December 2013

Review: Rumor Has It by Jill Shalvis


Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism, #4)
Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism #4) by Jill Shalvis
Publisher: Berkley
Publication date: November 5th 2013
My rating: 4 stars 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15810107-rumor-has-it
He’ll help unleash the new woman in her…

Special Ops soldier Griffin Reid doesn’t exactly have happy memories of growing up in Sunshine, Idaho. He’s only come back to recover from a war injury, and while he refuses to admit he’s in a weakened state, he finds comfort in the last person he’d expect.

Kate Evans teaches fourth grade science in Sunshine, the place she’s always called home. Dreaming of graduate school and a happily-ever-after, she’s desperate to break out of the monotony of Sunshine. Luckily, a certain sexy man has just come back into her life.

To Griffin, Kate as always been his little sister’s friend, but now he’s finding her to be so much more. As both attempt to forge their paths, they must decide if their passionate connection can turn into something lasting…



Rumor Has It was a sweet, feel good romance set in a small town. A romance like this is the equivalent to literary comfort food for me, and Jill Shalvis definitely satisfied my cravings.

Kate is a fourth-grade teacher and sweet and giving person who takes care of everyone but herself.  Her family relies heavily on her after her mother’s death and her father’s fall into depression. He’s finally improving but, finds she finds it hard to let go of the control. Because of this, Kate’s put graduate school and her romantic life on hold.  Kate’s needs come blasting back to her when her long time crush, Griffin, comes back into town for his sister’s wedding.  But he’s never looked twice at her, so she doesn’t stand a chance, right? Oh-so-wrong, Kate!

Griffin is out of the army for good after being injured and back home for his sister, Holly’s wedding.  The small town of Sunshine didn’t hold much appeal to him growing up, but a strained relationship with his father made it even more stifling. Being back home as a mature adult shows Sunshine in a different light, and Griffin starts entertaining thoughts of staying especially with an enticing incentive like Kate. Griffin has never wanted to mess with Kate.  She’s Holly’s best friend and therefore according to her, strictly off limits.  But since Griffin’s been away Kate has turned into a gorgeous woman and he’s having a hard time resisting. 

He wasn’t sure when his perception of her had changed or when he’d become aware of his need to touch. But the sensible attire on that heart attack inducing bod combined with the one-hundred-mile-per-hour brain and sweet disposition was sexy as hell. And irresistible.*

I have a weakness for unrequited love, and Kate had it bad for Griffin since she was ten! When they meet again after years apart their chemistry is off the charts so you know they won’t be able to keep their hands off each other, and they certainly don’t! I loved Kate.  She was so caring and a little nerdy, spouting off random science facts when she got nervous which was just about every time she was with Griffin.  Griffin was a sweetheart too, and I adored his overprotective tendencies with Kate.  His desire and concern over making Kate happy is a shock to him, because he doesn’t usually care so much.  It was fun watching these two dance around they’re growing connection towards the HEA we all know is coming. 

Rumor Has It is a romance with a predictable plot, but it shines in the delivery. The story is laced with clever and humorous dialogue, interesting and lovable secondary characters, and is set in idyllic small town, making you wish you lived there.  This story is part of a series, but it’s not necessary to read the others to enjoy this one.  That being said, I would like to go back and read the other books and catch up.

*Quote taken from an uncorrected proof and may change in the final copy.




8 comments:

Keertana said...

Rachel, I love these unrequited love plots too! I read Simply Irresistible by Shalvis awhile back and haven't tried anything more of hers since, though I want to, so this seems like the perfect choice. Lovely review, dear!

Unknown said...

I am so excited you enjoyed Rumor Has It, Rachel. So excited! I just loved how intesnse Griffin was and Kate's tendency to babble awkward facts!
Great review!

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Out of everything I see on this cover and after reading your review, I cannot but look at these little pups on the covers. Look at them, they're so cute. I'd pet them all day long. Anyhow I have heard of this book and it sounds like a great read. I love the sound of the characters too. Great review, Rachel :)

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

You had me at clever and humorous :)

This book's name reminds me of a movie and an adele song . (Random I know)

Jenny said...

YEAH RACHEL!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did, I just thought it was so flippin' cute! I could have just hugged Kate (and maybe put my hand gently over her mouth whenever in Griffin's presence), she was adorable. I definitely want to go back and read the other books in this series too:)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Definitely literary comfort food. (Great description!) I love the sweet romances, the normal yet cool people who fall in love and Jill Shalvis certainly knows how to write those!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I have been meaning to check out something by this author. I too love an unrequited love and even though this sounds predictable I think it would be fun.

Ellie @ Ellie Reads All the Books said...

I love your review.Just like you after reading this one and thoroughly enjoying it, I went back and read the rest of the series :) They were good but I think this one is the best so far. You should check her Instant Attraction series which I also liked a lot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...