Thursday 14 June 2012

Guest Post: Kate Avelynn author of Flawed


Today I’m pleased to welcome author Kate Avelynn to the blog. Kate’s debut novel Flawed is set to release next month, it’s a dark contemporary YA romance and in Kate’s own words it’s a book which blends “first love, betrayal and danger”. I remember when I first read the blurb I just knew that I had to read this book. Today Kate will be sharing her playlist for Flawed.

*note you may find that the Youtube videos won't play in Firefox, it's been playing up for some reason for the last few days, so please try a different browser in order to view the videos





Flawed by Kate Avelynn 

Publisher: Entangled Teen  
Publication Date: July 2012 (tbc)
Sarah O’Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago—James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she’s watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she’ll give it freely.

Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give.

Sam Donavon has been James’s best friend—and the boy Sarah’s had a crush on—for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she’s in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he’s going to save her. Neither of them realize James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he’s not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact…


Thank you for having me on The Reader’s Den today, Jasprit!

Music is a major part of my life and factors hugely into my writing. I’ll be driving down the road with the stereo blaring when an awesome lyric I’ve never heard before catches my attention, and then BAM—the entire vibe of a new book hits me upside the head. Resident Hottie is used to me careening into the nearest parking lot and scrambling for a pen and a scrap of paper to write it down before the song—and the idea—float away. From there, I dash home and build a playlist so I can plot out what I’m seeing in my head. It’s complete musical chaos until the book is written.

FLAWED has an angry, haunting vibe, so the playlist reflects this. It’s hard to imagine the book feeling any other way once I read the lyrics to You Are My Sunshine? This is a story of obsession, betrayal, and how easy guilt and misplaced loyalty can destroy your life. While Sarah is the narrator, for me, this has always been James’ story. That might explain why so many of the songs on the playlist are about him and how his life spirals out of control.

The first song is Lie to Me by 12 Stones. The acoustic version of this song is James’ anthem in the beginning of the book and reflect his sadness. So many lines in this fit what he’s going through when his sister, the girl he destroyed his life to save, starts to pull away. He doesn’t know how to stop what’s happening and would rather believe the lie than face reality, however twisted his reality may be. 



I gave my soul to you
You cut me from behind

Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide
You’re scared of the truth, I’m tired of the lies
‘Cause who I am is where you wanna be

You said you were there for me
You wouldn’t let me fall
All the times I shared with you
Were you even there at all?

So lie to me once again
And tell me everything will be alright

You left me broken and betrayed
It’s s the same old story


Second is Lithium by Evanescence. This is Sarah’s song. She’s desperate to break free of the hell she’s been living, but she’s trapped by guilt and tied to her brother out of the fierce love and loyalty she feels for him. 



I wanna stay in love with my sorrow
Oh, but God I wanna let it go
Come to bed, don’t make me sleep alone
Couldn’t hide the emptiness, you let it show

Drown my will to fly
Here in the darkness I know myself
Can’t break free until I let it go, let me go

Darling, I forgive you after all
Anything is better than to be alone
And in the end I guess I had to fall
Always find my place among the ashes


Next is Passive by A Perfect Circle. This song inspired two specific scenes in the book—one between James and Sarah, the other between Sarah and her mother. When you read the book, I wonder if you’ll catch which ones!



Wake up and face me
Don’t play dead ‘cause maybe
Someday, I’ll walk away and say
“You f-ing disappoint me
Maybe you’re better off this way”

Leanin’ over you here
Cold and catatonic
I catch a brief reflection
Of what you could and might have been
It’s your right and your ability
To become my perfect enemy

Why can’t you turn and face me?


And finally, Lies by Seven Wiser. If Lie to Me is James when he’s hurting and only just beginning to see what’s happening between Sarah and Sam, Lies is James once he’s snapped. None of their lives will ever be the same.



I’m the one that was there for you
When you cut yourself and started to bleed
I’m the one that would dry your tears
Every time you’d come crying to me

Sick of the games that you played on me
So I walk alone and suffer in need
You’re the one that will cry the tears
When you see what you’ve created of me


Additional songs that made the FLAWED playlist include I Stand Alone by Godsmack, Closer by Burn Season, Regret by Seven Wiser, and Together Again by Evanescence (which is like my closing credits song—so extremely creepy!).

So that’s what it’s like from the author’s perspective. I’d like to know whether you, as a reader, like having access to an author’s playlist, or if you prefer to associate your own songs to the story you’re reading. I know I’ve been jarred by some of the songs on playlists in the past—what about you?

Author Bio: Kate Avelynn lives in Central Oregon with her husband, whom she fell in love with at eighteen after realizing he shared her obsession with music, sports, and psychoanalysis. When not devouring Stephanie Perkins and Jennifer Echols novels, holding down her editing gig, or attempting to coax life out of the weed patch she calls a “garden,” Kate writes dark, young adult romance that blends first love, betrayal, and danger. 

Thank you so much for your awesome post Kate! I seriously can’t wait to get my hands on Flawed. I definitely like having access to an author's playlist, I can't wait to see how this playlist fits in with the book. Who else is excited for this book? 

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh, this book sounds amazing! It reminds me a bit of Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. I really like the cover too! Seems like another intense book that would bring tears to my eyes. :')

I really like reading the author's playlist, because I want to know what lyrics represent the feeling of the characters in the author's mind. Though most of the time I make my own playlist too - one song that I think represent the book best! x)

Fabulous post! <3 I'm going to look out for this book when it comes out! :)

Jena said...

EVERY DAMN SONG IS PERFECT. I am so so so excited for this book <3333

Jessirae said...

OMG. I agree with Jena! HOLY SHIZZ. These songs are soo amazing. I love it, so hard. IS IT JULY YET!? ;)

Rachel said...

This story sounds so intense and dark so I think these songs perfectly set the tone for this story. I can't wait to read this book! I'm sure we're all going to have lots to talk about after reading this! Can't wait.

Kate this playlist sounds amazing and so does this story!! :)

Pooja. S said...

Oh my god, this sounds intense! The blurb made me want to read it as well. Love, betrayal and obsession? Sounds so intriguing! The songs in the playlist seem to give the perrfect vibe as well. I think author play lists are pretty awesome because you get to know what THEY felt while writing it, in a way and the vibes they want to give through the book. So I always find them interesting! Fantastic guest post. Thanks for sharing, Jasprit :D

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I am so pumped for this book! I need it pronto. LOL I love author's playlists. It never throws me off in a bad way. It actually makes me want to read some books more or I just like to see what songs an author put for the book after I've read it. I still make my own inner playlists for things I read too, and that's awesome. I'm a huge music fan, and I'm always trying to add a song to my book reviews and when I do my own writing, I'm often finding songs to listen too and get inspired by.

Love this playlist. Sounds intense and damaging and oh so intriguing.

-Lauren

The Teen Book Guru said...

Wow Jasprit and Kate what a great post, you guys!! Seriously!! I am SO PUMPED for this book!! It seems amazing! Definitely can't wait to get my hands on it. And I love hearing the author's playlist for their book because I think it just shows so much insight into both the book, and the author! And Kate chose some awesome sounding songs for sure!! <3 Evanescence ROCKS!! XD And all the lyrics are so beautiful! I am so there when this book is released!

Fabulous post, Jasprit!! Can't wait to read your review for Flawed!! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I just listened to all these songs and loved them all (of course, I loved Lithium even before now), and they all seem like a perfect choice for such an angry, intense and angsty book. I'll go do some research now, read a few reviews and find out what i can about this book.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've heard of this book, so thank you so much for sharing this.
I love love love Lithium. It's one of my favorite songs ever ! I'm also going to listen to the other songs as well. :)
The book sounds great ! :D

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I'm glad to see Evanescence is a part of the playlist - I adore that song. I also really like Lie to Me by 12 Stones. I hadn't heard of it before so thanks for putting it on my radar!

Great post. It makes me even more eager to read Flawed, which sounds like a great book. :)

Jenny said...

Ooooo I adore Evanescence! Lithium is a beautifully haunting song - really any of their songs because Amy's voice itself has a haunting quality to it. I could listen to them all day:)

I love finding out what authors listen to when they right, it gives me such a interesting look into the story!

Mimi Valentine said...

I'm listening to Lithium right now while I write this comment and it's so intense that I almost feel like writing in all caps to express my feelings LOL x) It's such a hauntingly gorgeous song, and if it expresses Sarah's feelings, then I know I'm going to want to give her a HUGE hug <3 I'm definitely a musical girl and I love hearing that Kate is too!

Beautiful guest post! And thanks so much for including the lyrics too -- my sister may not appreciate my sing-along, but I sure love being able to! x) <3 I'll be looking out for this book for sure :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I had no idea that a book could come from a song. Call me crazy but I don't hear music when i read even though I adore all types of music and it is a huge part of my life, books and music just don't connect for me. Loved this post!

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I really can't wait to read this book! And I always enjoy seeing the music that authors listened to or would associate with their books :)

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Awesome guest post and beautiful song selections, i love Lithium

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...