Sunday 24 June 2012

Showcase Sunday #4


Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea. The aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.

It feels like I haven’t posted a Showcase Sunday post in a while, with hardly any books trickling in, I decided to hold off for a while and I’m glad I did as this last week was one of the best! Also this is my first Showcase Sunday post with my co-blogger Rachel! 

For Review


Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
What's Up with Jody Barton by Hayley Long
Rape Girl by Alina Klein
Size 12 and Ready to Rock by Meg Cabot
On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler 

Thank you NetGalley, Harlequin, Brigid Kemmerer, Kensington, Edelweiss, William Morrow Paperbacks, Macmillan, Penguin, Random House UK and Electric Monkey.

The Elementals series is one of my highly anticipated series of the year and so when I saw Spark on NetGalley I just knew I had to grab a copy. When I wasn’t approved and everyone else around me started getting their copies I began to panic, but then the lovely Brigid posted that bloggers who hadn’t been approved she would forward their details onto the publishers for approval. So now I have a lovely copy on my kindle thanks to Brigid. I have a readathon coming up in July, so I think I will devour all three books then.

Meg Cabot is one of my all time favourite authors, and Size 12 and Ready to Rock is a book I’ve been longing to get my hands on ever since Meg announced that there would be two more books in the Heather Wells series. (Can you believe I had to wait patiently for two years for this next instalment?). I can’t wait to get stuck in with this book, to be a part of the mystery again and re-connect with the awesome characters.

My week ended fantastically as I received copies of Seraphina and Why We Broke Up, the cover of Seraphina doesn't do it any justice, as it's even prettier in real life. Why We Broke Up is also full with beautiful illustrations. I'm so excited about starting them both.

Bought/freebies


Miss World by Randi Black
Among the Nameless Stars by Diana Peterfreund
So Totally by Gwen Hayes
Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
Adorkable by Sarra Manning
Easy by Tammara Webber
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
From What I Remember by Stacy Kramer and Valerie Thomas

Amazon has been so good to me recently with some awesome freebies, Gwen Hayes and Randi Black have been authors whose books I’ve been wanting to read for a while, so when I saw them up free I was quick to grab copies.

Adorkable and Easy have been receiving some awesome reviews lately, so I knew that these were books I definitely had to buy.

Lastly a massive thank to Sam at Realm of Fiction for lending me her copy of Throne of Glass. After reading several pages I’d fallen in love and had a feeling it would be a 5 star book. I’ve been trying to read small chunks of this epic book every day, so far I’ve been struggling as I just want to devour it all.

That’s all the wonderful books I got, now over to Rachel, to see which awesome books she received.  


For Review


Defiance by C.J. Redwine
Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
Undead by Kirsty McKay
Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
The Blood Keeper by Tessa Gratton
Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Thank you to NetGalley, Edelweiss, Balzer & Bray, Harper Teen, Scholastic, Delacorte, Random House and Kensignton.

Undead sounds like all kinds of zombie fun! It's a school-trip where all but two classmates turn into zombies and it's being compared to Shaun of the Dead, Speed, and The Breakfast Club all rolled into one. How could I resist?

I've lusted after Meant to Be ever since Jasprit's WoW. Julia being thrown together for a class project with Jason, her personal nemesis sounds like great potential for sparks!  

I'm really interested in The Blood Keeper as I enjoyed the first in the series, Blood Magic. It doesn't seem to involve the characters from the first story, so I think its set in the same world but focusing on different characters.  


Bought


My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
Elemental by Brigid Kemmerer
What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

I was planning on reading the Elemental series before, so when I was approved for Spark I bought Storm and the prequel Elemental (only .99 cents on Amazon). I loved Becca and Chris's story in Storm, so I can't wait to get to Spark. There were a lot of unanswered questions. Plus, it's Gabriel's story *drool*! Need I say more?

I've heard great things about My Life Next Door, and let's face it, it sounds like a vanilla-queen's dream!

I'm excited to read What a Boy Wants, I've heard great things about it. It's another self-published author and I've been having great success with them lately.

We received some amazing books that will definitely keep us busy over the next few weeks, let us know what goodies you received this week.

23 comments:

beccabooklover said...

Wowee some great great books here especially Throne of Glass and Seraphina (that I'm lucky to have off netgally woohoo!). Some lovely covers too :) Happy Reading!

-Becca @ Lost in Thought
http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/showcase-sunday-6.html

Anonymous said...

Great haul! I highly anticipate reading Seraphina, though Random House hates me I think. :( Storm I want to read after the mention of 'four hot guys' in some reviews. ;) Unspoken, Defiance, Adorkable, My Life Next Door and Something Strange and Deadly all look great too. :) Happy reading!

Eunice said...

Wow! All those books sounds really awesome. I requested Spark too but I still haven't received any mail if I was approved or not. I got a copy of Defiance too from Edelweiss! I've been looking forward for Meant To Be but it was only open for US in Netgalley. :( Great haul, ladies! Happy reading! :)

Vegan YA Nerds said...

You both got such good books this week! Jas - What's Up With Jody sounds good as does Adorakable!

Rach - Meant to Be! I hope it's good :) And I really want to read My Life Next Door, too!

Vicky @ A Backpack Full of Adventures said...

Oh good Lord, you have so many fantastic books here! I'm DYING to read Size 12 and Ready to Rock - I can't believe we had to wait such a long time for this one :( I love that series! :D

Kim said...

Awesome haul!! So jealous of you right now. hahah. A lot of really good books there, most quite high on my to-read list. HOpe you enjoy them all (:

- Kim
My Haul

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Oh wow, you both received some amazing books this week! Jasprit, Adorkable and Easy have been getting some great reviews so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on that. Also, I'm so glad you enjoyed Throne of Glass! I was worried you wouldn't. ;)

Rachel, equally great haul! I hope you enjoy Something Strange and Deadly. You know I liked that book. And yay for Defiance! I got a copy last week and can't wait to get started. :) Enjoy!

Faye (Daydreaming_Star) said...

Yay for the Elemental series and that you both got the books!!

Jasprit - I can't wait to dive into Spark! Elemental and Storm were sooo good! I also need to get reading Dark Kiss. And Throne of Glass is an AMAZING read! It is so totally worth the length and the wait… it is just a-mazing! Glad to hear you're loving it too! I got On The Island this week too and can't wait to read it and I am so looking forward to reading Seraphina too! You got so many great books! Hope you enjoy them all!

Rachel - Yay for Elemental, Storm and Spark! Hehe. Hope you enjoy them all! I did!! Meant to Be and Undead both look really interesting and I've heard GREAT things about My Life Next Door! You got some awesome looking books this week and I hope you have a good time reading them!

Here's my Letterbox Love this week.

Stop by if you wish :-)

Faye

rachel said...

I am super jealous of your haul this week - these are some amazing books! I received a copy of Seraphine for review a couple months back but it wasn't really for me, but I hope you enjoy it!

And you got Throne of Glass, ahh! :D

My Showcase Sunday. :)

Read Write Reviews said...

Throne of glass is so goodI hope you enjoy!
Letterbox Love!

Farah said...

Gah! Too many books! And you got Storm and Spark! Awesome haul! :D

Drop by my Showcase Sunday?

Anonymous said...

You guys, I'm so jealous ! :P
Jasprit, finally you got Easy !!! I can't wait to hear what you think about it. :) And you got Throne Of Glass ! It sounds like a really good book! :)
Rachel, you have an epic haul as well ! :) I can't wait to see what you think of My Life Next Door and Spark. I know how much you love the Merrick Brothers ! ;)
Happy reading to both of you lovelies !

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

I have Spark this week too, I haven't read Storm yet but I'm going to read it soon. Rachel, I have a lot of the books you got this week too. I can't wait to read Defiance and I have the Blood Keeper and Unspoken too. Haven't read any of them yet though :) I really want a copy of Something Strange and Deadly, I've seen great reviews for it. Awesome hauls girls, happy reading!

tthepageturner said...

EEEEP, lucky girls! I can't wait to get my hands on Seraphina and Defiance. I LOVE high fantasy! :D Hope you enjoy Size 12 and Ready to Rock as much as I did! (It was definitely fun being reunited with Cooper ;3)

Angie said...

Wow, you both got lots of great books! I keep hearing good things about the Elementals series, so I'm waiting for my library to purchase it in July. :)

Happy reading!

Here's Mine @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

ellepaulette said...

Awesome looking haul this week! Happy reading and enjoy!

Dani
http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2155

Keertana said...

Woah! Both of you have gotten some absolutely fantastic reads this week! I'm definitely looking forward to hear what you have to say about them! Enjoy!(:

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings

Rachel said...

So many great books you two!!!!!! I seriously can't wait for Throne of Glass and Defiance. Enjoy all your new books! I hope you like Spark Rachel and I hope you adore Storm and Spark Jaspirit!

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh my gosh, BOTH of you have such amazing books in your showcase for this week! I love seeing Brigid Kemmerer's books raiding this post because she really is an awesome author, and My Life Next Door especially! I can't even tell you how much I ended up loving that book -- it makes me really wish I'd grown up living next door to a boy like Jase Garrett. I PROMISE he will make you swoon! :')

Amazing book haul, you two! I hope you both have a wonderful day and enjoy all of your many amazing books! :) <3

Unknown said...

WOW, I don't even know where I should begin! There are SOOO MANY awesome books waiting for you guys! <3 I'm practically gaping right now LOL! x) I can't wait to hear what you think of Throne of Glass, Jasprit! It sounds so good! Meant to Be sounds very lovely too (THE COVER! GORGEOUS!) so I'll be waiting for Rachel's review! x) Unspoken and Defiance promise such amazing read too!

FANTASTIC haul this week, guys!! Can't wait to read your awesome reviews for these books! <3

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Gosh, my eyes can't take so much beauty! I want Spark, Seraphina and Throne of Glass so badly, Jasprit! I've been trying to request less, but my resolve is weakening by the minute. Looking forward to your reviews.
Rachel! Have you decided on your favorite brother? I need to go check. I enjoyed Something Strange and Deadly, hopefully you will too. I also have a copy of Unspoken, but I haven't been in the right mood for it just yet.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

A ton of great books! I am wanting Throne of Glass! I will be watching for all your reviews! I will be off the blogosphere on vacation starting on Wedensday. I will see you gals back on the 9th!

Theta Sigma said...

Great haul there for both of you.

I've got Adorkable and On The Island due to shout outs from Laura at Sisterspooky and Jana at The Artsy Reader Girl blogs respectively, so I'm really looking forward to both.

Enjoy your reads!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...