Tuesday 5 June 2012

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth



  
  Title: Insurgent
  Author: Veronica Roth
  Publisher: Harper Collins
  Publication Date: 1st May 2012
  My rating: 4 stars
  
  Reviewed by: Jasprit
 
  






“People I have discovered, are layers and layers of
secrets. You believe you know them, that you
understand them, but their motives are always
hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You
will never know them, but sometimes you decide
to trust them” 

I don’t think my review could ever fully illustrate just how much I loved this book. But if I loved it why not the 5 stars? Insurgent was so so so close to getting 5 stars but aspects of it left me utterly baffled! Divergent was a book that has quickly become one of my favourites and will always hold a place in my heart. The same could be said about Insurgent. The characters had such a massive impact on me; I thought nothing could compare to the loss and heartache I’d experienced when reading Divergent, but Roth kept the mind numbing and heart shredding blows coming one after the other.

Insurgent kicks off straight after Tris, Four and the others leave dauntless compound, they’ve put a stop to the simulation for now. But what next? They may have temporarily stopped Jeanine bringing destruction and chaos and nearly obliterating an entire faction, but they couldn’t put it past her to have given up just yet. So they decide to go to the Amity headquarters, that’s where most of the other remaining abnegation faction members have gathered, and hopefully they can recuperate and gather their thoughts on what they should do next.

Reading Insurgent felt like I was walking through a minefield, full of endless surprises blowing up in your face. I thought I had given so much of my heart already to Divergent, but Insurgent grips at your heart a different way, you see a side to characters that you never expect to see before, and you gain a deeper understanding and knowledge about the other factions and just what it means to be part of that faction. And who would truly sacrifice and put their life on the line to help keep their faction alive.

Tris in Divegent truly was dauntless, she did what she had to do to make it through her initation, even with her having to constantly watch her back with people trying to kill her, she fell down but she got up again and showed no mercy. The Tris we get in Insurgent I never thought I would see, she’s broken after losing her parents, feeling guilty over Will and edging precariously close to giving up. What’s happened to the dauntless Tris who took risks but also showed she cared? She’s become a lost individual who can’t even hold a gun, but will walk right bang in the middle of something dangerous putting her body on the line time and time again.

With Four I was hoping that we would get to see a different side to him in Insurgent, get to know him a little more. And did we alright? I honestly can’t explain how he affected me. On the one hand you could get the angry over protective Four, who was frustrated with everything especially with some of Tris’s decisions. Did I like this side of four? Hell yes! He could come across as a little over-bearing but we knew the reason why he was doing it was because he cared. Then there was the whole other side, gosh I don’t think I ever want to see that side of him again, it truly broke my heart.

It was great re-connecting again with some of the characters from Divergent. There were still some scenes of banter which I pretty much enjoyed, however there was always that sense of foreboding not knowing when the next attack would come, who could lose their lives, which pretty much put a dampener on any feelings of fun that we got to see in Divergent.

Insurgent was a mind blowing read; Roth sure knows how to create a book which has you experiencing so many different emotions in quick succession. And the ending? What does it all mean? I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a book so much as I want right book 3 right now!

Favourite quotes:

“Sleep, he says. I’ll fight the bad dreams off if
they come to get you.
With what?
My bare hands obviously”.

“Got that gun?
No, says Tobias, I figured I would shoot the
bullets out of my nostrils, so I left it upstairs”

22 comments:

The Teen Book Guru said...

Great review Jasprit!! SO happy to see that you loved Insurgent just as much as I did. I agree! There were so many surprises and turns around every corner in this book... I just couldn't put it down!! Roth is such a genius and awesome storyteller. And also I LOVE Tris in this actually. She is so brave and puts herself before others... just what Dauntless was before stupid old hag Eric came along -.-

OMFG the ending. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! Wow. I really never saw that coming!! I was so baffled and frustrated but really, ridiculously happy at that moment. I was also grinning from ear to ear because of that fabulous ending!! It was great. But now I am so excited and can hardly wait for the third book. Please, please don't make us wait long, Veronica!!! Lovely review!!! <3

Leanna Elle said...

I loved Divergent, and I really enjoyed this one too, even though it left me a bit confused at times, since there wasn't any recapping. Still can't wait to see how things end for Four and Tris! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Wonderful review, Jasprit! I must admit that I wasn't really thrilled with this one (I just finished it today), but I'm obviously the odd one out here and your review made me want to start all over again to see what I missed. I was so frustrated by Tris' behavior, which is what sort of ruined it for me.
I love how deeply you experienced this book and I love love love your review!

Rachel said...

I love the quote you choose to start the review! it was so perfect! I haven't read Insurgent yet but I'm glad its still good even though Tris is less strong and resilient.
Fantastic review Jasprit!

Eunice said...

Awesome review, Jasprit! I agree, this book had so many endless twists that kept on surprising me from time to time. Tris behavior did frustrated me a bit but I was glad when she finally woke up and did the right things. And of course, I fell in love with Four all over again. lol! :))

Giselle said...

Yay awesome review! I didn't love this quite as much as Divergent but it was still pretty awesome. Character development was great even though Tris could be reckless and irritating. And that ending!! So intriguing I also can't wait for book 3!!

Beverley said...

I'm so so so tempted to read your review (I've read the first paragraph at least and I'm glad you did enjoy it!), Jasprit but I'm scared there'll be spoilers in it for Divergent... *makes mental note to read it after finishing the first book* Plus, I won Insurgent in another giveaway recently so I'll get to read it right after Divergent!!!! Anyway, fab review was always (the first parag. is awesome by itself so I'm sure the rest is just as wonderful!)

Anonymous said...

I, also, thought that Divergent was better than Insurgent, but I still enjoyed it.
I actually liked seeing this different side of Tris since it made her seem a little bit more humane, I suppose. :)
I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Jasprit ! :D

I can't wait for that 3rd book either. With an ending like that, you can't help but go crazy waiting for it ! :P

Great review, Jasprit :)

Mimi Valentine said...

I feel like everyone's saying that this one wasn't as breathtaking as Divergent too, but I'm still SO SO happy that you loved this book too -- because YES, it still had those mind-numbing blows and YES, Four still rocks the world and YES, Tris still expands our hearts and YES, your review makes me want to throw flowers down the aisle! :')

Absolutely amazing review, Jasprit! The only downside of finishing a book you've been anticipating for forever is that you have to wait that epic amount of time for the next one x) <3

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I'm so glad you loved this *almost* as much as Divergent, hun! It let me down, mostly because of Tris being a whinger but it was still a captivating read and I am hoping book 3 is just as good as Divergent!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I couldn't quite give this 5 stars either, mostly because I felt Tris' depression was sort of rubbing off on me. :P I did still really love it though, and I'm glad to see you did too! Let's hope we aren't disappointed with book 3 when it rolls round. :)

Nicola said...

I'll have a proper read of your review once I've read Insurgent (which will be this week ahhhh) but I'm so glad you loved it! <3

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

I love this cover...and of course, awesome review!

Jasprit said...

Don't read it Beverley, it does have some spoilers from Divergent! I can't wait to hear what you think of Divergent and Insurgent! :)

Pooja. S said...

Fabulous review, Jasprit x) I haven't read Insurgent yet. WAIT WHAT, right? I haven't found the right moment too but all of these Insurgent reviews make me want to take the plunge already. A Tris who is not very Dauntless? Another side of Four/Tobias? I want to know what happens as soon as possible! And it's been soo long since I've thought about the secondary characters- it's so great that they play a role in Insurgent too, even though it takes place outside the Dauntless compound and everything. I might cave and read Insurgent tonight- discarding all my other commitments!

Pooja. S said...

*right moment to

Unknown said...

Aweeeesome review, Jasprit! I know I can always count on you to read fabulous and deep reviews! <3 I don't know why I haven't read Insurgent yet... well, actually I know. I'm just very scared that it doesn't live up to my sky high expectation! Hopefully I can overcome my fear and find a good corner to read it soon hehe! x)

Jasprit said...

Do it do it!! Ajoop lol no pressure! Can't wait to hear your thoughts! :)

Jasprit said...

I know exactly what you mean Hilda, I think I was lucky as I had hardly any time to think about picking up Insurgent or not, so no time to worry about it either! I really hope it lives upto your expectations! Look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Nicola said...

I've just finished reading so came to read your review properly this time! I actually enjoyed it more than Divergent which I wasn't expecting because Divergent was amazing!

I did want to scream at Tris at times but I still liked that she followed her instincts at whatever cost. It was hard to read though.

I loved Tobias!! The ending totally made up for all the tension and fights between him and Tris. ;)

Awesome review Jasprit! I do not know how we will handle the wait for book 3... seriously...

Jasprit said...

Oh wow that's awesome that you enjoyed it more! It was definitely tense and always something happening which I loved! And Four! Gosh this guy is just the best! I know the year long wait is going to be a killer don't worry I'll totally be here for you if you start suffering from Four withdrawals lol Look forward to your review! :)

Nea said...

I loved Insurgent!! It made me start this Dystopian obsession again, after months of just romance and romance. I felt bad for Tris but I think she needed to get through this phase. And she did it the only way she knew of. Four? Well, I felt bad for him too, because I had a feeling he felt hopeless about Tris - he tried it all and it still didn't work.

The ending? Freak show. I was so confused! And still thinking about it. In Erudite they said she was second generation - so who was that woman? Her mother? Her grandmother? geez I want to know so badly!!

And also.. my two favourite quotes from the whole book are these two:
I do trust you, is what I want to say. But it isn't true - I didn't trust him to love me despite the terrible things I had done. I don't trust anyone to do that,but that isn't his problem; it's mine.

“I think that you are the liar!" I say, my voice quaking. "You tell me you love me, you trust me, you think I'm more perceptive than the avarge person. And the first second that belief in my perceptiveness, that trust, that love is put to the test, it all falls apart." I am crying now, nut I am not ashamed of the tears shining on my cheeks or the thickness of my voice. "So you must have lied when you told me all those things... you must have, because I can't believe your love really is that feeble."
I step closer to him, so that there are only inches between us, and none of the others can hear me.
"I am still the person who would have died rather than kill you," I say, remembering the attack simulation and the feel of his heartbeat under my hand. "I am exactly who you think I am.”

Great review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...