Tuesday 12 June 2012

Review: What I didn't Say by Keary Taylor



  Title: What I didn't Say
  Author: Keary Taylor
  Publisher: CreateSpace
  Publication date: April 30th 2012
  Source: NetGalley
  My rating: 3 stars

  Reviewed by: Jasprit

   





What I didn’t Say is the heart felt story of Jake, who’s been in love with Sam since the first day of freshman year. For the last three years she’s always been on his mind, when he sits next to her in class he gets that warm zingy feeling and last summer he was sure she was flirting back, but then when school re-started again, Sam went back to how she was before; acting like a good friend. Jake has wanted to tell her how’s he felt, but never had the courage to do so. But out one night at a party, he’s finally had enough he’s decided it’s time to tell her the truth. May be it’s the alcohol talking, but Jake doesn’t care. So Jake piles into his friend Carter’s car about to make a monumental decision in his life but slightly worse for wear. However what was meant to be a life changing opportunity quickly goes downhill, with Carter crashing the car. Rain and Carter, Jake’s friends are left with a few cuts and bruises, but Jake’s left with the worst of it; he’s damaged his vocal chords so bad that he won’t be able to talk again, he feels like his hearts been stomped on, as his chance of telling Sam how he feels has been crushed, but not only that his dreams of joining the air force has also been shattered. What’s a guy like Jake to do?

It was truly heart wrenching at times watching Jake struggle without his voice, always scrambling around for a note book and pen. And no-one could actually really know how he felt. It was a lonely period for him, being cooped up with his thoughts and feelings all the time and only being able to let them out on a bit of paper.  

I think Taylor did a fantastic job with What I didn’t Say, parts of the story could be a bit predictable and clichéd, but she allowed us to fully get into the mind of Jake and understood how he was feeling. I enjoyed getting to know his character by reading about his feelings, and the inner struggle and turmoil within him. But I also liked the path his book went down it wasn’t full with self-pity, regret or abandoning hope. But acceptance, accepting what life has thrown at you, and using it as a way to move forward in life.

What made this book even more realistic was the fact that this story was based on the author’s personal experience and something close to her heart.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

18 comments:

Nicola said...

Oops! I got this from NG when it first when up there and haven't gotten around to it yet. I love the premise though and that's really interesting that it's based around personal experience. That always makes a book feel more real and touching. Great review, Jasprit!

The Teen Book Guru said...

Aaw great review, Jasprit!! <3 The title is, like, the story of my life! :') And the book seems so sweet and touching... Can't wait to get my hands on this piece of lovey-dovey awesomeness!!! ;) I love books about accepting who you are and always having hope so I'm hoping and praying that I'll love this too. And the fact that Taylor based this on her own experiences makes it so much more personal and touching and realistic!!

Great review, J!! :) I've only been following your blog for a little while now, but I'm loving it!! <3

Rachel said...

This book sounds so heartwarming and good! Fantastic description of the book Jasprit! Wow, a book where a person can't talk because of an accident- so original! and a story based on the author's life- fantastic!
Wonderful review Jaspirt!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

To someone like me who studies languages for a living, the idea of not being able to express yourself with words sounds downright terrifying. I love that it is based on personal experience - this is the kind of contemporary I can actually like.
Amazing review as usual, Jasprit!

Jenny said...

I had no idea this was based on a personal experience of Keary's, that makes me want to pick this one up even more. Despite some of the predictability, it sounds like the characters are well-done and easy to root for, and usually that's enough for me to be forgiving of a cliche or two:) Beautiful review Jasprit, thanks for putting this one on my radar!

Giselle said...

OH it's the first time I see it's based on the author's experience. You're right it makes it even more interesting and heart wrenching to know this really happened. I had that experience with Keep Holding On and Radiate. Anyways I had this high on my wishlist before I read this so it just makes me want to read it even more. Lovely review!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, Jasprit. :)
It was definitely a heart-wrenching book, but I found myself enjoying it too. :)
Lovely review, Jasprit ! :D

Mimi Valentine said...

Ohh, I love how this one is based on Keary's own personal experiences, and I love knowing that now because I never did before! I feel like it almost always makes things more real, especially knowing that somewhere out there, someone had gone through similar difficulties and survived it. It's so inspiring, and infinitely beautiful! :) Normally I don't like predictability, but the emotion behind it is enough to compensate, I think! ;)

Beautiful review, J! <3

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Lovely review, Jasprit! This definitely sounds like an interesting read - I like that it's not a concept I have ever come across before in other books. Despite some of the flaws you mentioned, I have a good felling I'll be moved by this story too. :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I read a review for this the other day on Nick's blog and it sounds like another heartbreaking but life changing read. I didn't know it was based on the author's personal experiences. That makes it more memorable! Ok girl you need to read something more light for your next read!

Vegan YA Nerds said...

Fantastic review, hun! I had no idea this story was based on the author's life, I can't imagine going through something like this. I'm looking forward to reading this now

Jasprit said...

Awww thanks Riya! I love stopping by your blog too! I really hope you enjoy this book too! :)

Jasprit said...

Hah! I know I just can't seem to get out reading these sort of books! I seem to be enjoying them way too much! I promise I will start something a little more light hearted soon!

Flannery (The Readventurer) said...

Wow, I can't imagine what it would be like to suddenly lose that avenue of expression. It must be beyond scary. How interesting that it is inspired by events from the author's own life.

Book Passion for Life said...

Glad you enjoyed this one. I didn't end up requesting it in the end but I'll defo pick it up in the future. Great review.

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

I didn't know that this story was based on a personal experience. I thought it was well-written and I really could understand him, so she did a good job in translating that :) I liked Sam even more, because she tells him to shut up and stop complaining :p

Beverley said...

Wow, this book sounds interesting and it's even more intriguing that it's based on the author's personal experience! I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to suddenly lose your voice so I think I'd be able to really feel for Jake :( I also love books where characters use the bad things thrown at them in life to mould their futures: books like these really teach me not to take the simple things in life for granted!

Another fabbity-doo review, Jasprit <3

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

i like the plot..thanks for sharing your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...