Tuesday 14 August 2012

Review: I Only Have Eyes For You by Bella Andre


I Only Have Eyes for You (The Sullivans, #4)

  Title: I Only Have Eyes For You
  Author: Bella Andre
  Publisher: Oak Press LLC
  Publication date: January 1st 2012
  Source: Netgalley
  My rating: 3.5 stars

 


Goodreads Description: Get ready for another Sullivan to fall in love in Bella Andre's bestselling contemporary romance series!

Sophie Sullivan, a librarian in San Francisco, was five years old when she fell head over heels in love with Jake McCann. Twenty years later, she's convinced the notorious bad boy still sees her as the "nice" Sullivan twin. That is, when he bothers to look at her at all. But when they both get caught up in the magic of the first Sullivan wedding, she knows it's long past time to do whatever it takes to make him see her for who she truly is...the woman who will love him forever.

Jake has always been a magnet for women, especially since his Irish pubs made him extremely wealthy. But the only woman he really wants is the one he can never have. Not only is Sophie his best friend's off-limits younger sister...he can't risk letting her get close enough to discover his deeply hidden secret.

Only, when Sophie appears on his doorstep as Jake's every fantasy come to life-smart, beautiful, and shockingly sexy-he doesn't have a prayer of taking his eyes, or his hands, off her. And he can't stop craving more of her sweet smiles and sinful kisses. Because even though Jake knows loving Sophie isn't the right thing to do...how can he possibly resist?

Twenty-five year-old Sophie Sullivan is one of six children.  With four overly protective brothers and twin sister, any man she decides to date doesn’t stand a chance.  But Sophie doesn’t want just any man; she wants long-time family-friend and bad-boy, Jake.  Unbeknownst to either of them, they’ve each harbored a secret crush and longing for the other for years.  Sophie feels Jake could never notice her, the “nice” one of the twins, she feels plain and ordinary compared to the other Sullivan siblings. 

Jake feels Sophie is out of his league.  She’s gorgeous, smart and accomplished.  He feels like he’s not good enough for her and is certain her brothers would never approve, especially in light of his womanizing reputation.  Also, Jake has a closely guarded secret that makes him feel even less worthy, and he’s not about to tell her about that. 

After witnessing her brother’s wedding and love story, Sophie’s determined to make Jake notice her and capture his heart.  She shows up at his doorstep, throwing caution to the wind, with a plan to seduce him.  That night Sophie and Jake’s dreams come true:

”No one has ever kissed me like that,” she said in a breathless voice, “like you couldn’t get enough, like you couldn’t stop yourself and I was driving you crazy.  All these years and I never knew it would be like that.”

 Unfortunately, the morning is a different story altogether.

What I love about this story:

There is no third-party angst: No one that you wish would be written out of the story so the lovers could get on with it already!

There is no insta-love: Sophie and Jake have known each other since she was five.  Through the story they both come to realize how much attention they both quietly paid to each other, how much they’ve been on each others radar.   

This is relatively frustration and drama free: You know what I’m talking about.  The part when we reach about 75-80% in the story and they figure out they can never be together.  Usually it’s some sort of highly annoying situation where lack of communication is involved. 
 
This is a perfect light and sexy read! Wonderful for when you need an escape from real-life, and don’t well all need that once in a while?  Win and win!  This was part of the Sullivan series but you don’t need to read them before to enjoy this.  However, I probably would’ve appreciated the references/updates on the other brothers if I had.  My only complaint was at the beginning of the story Sophie is treated so much like a child and I found over the top.  Fortunately, this goes on for only a small portion of the story.  This was a sweet and very addictive story, and I find myself wanting to find out about the other Sullivan siblings. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Oak Press LLC for allowing me to read this.

 

6 comments:

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Lovely review, Rachel! This sounds great! Drama-free and no insta-love? Definite win! I finished Beautiful Disaster recently, and while I did like some parts, I felt it was too drama-ridden for me. This book sounds more promising. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Book Passion for Life said...

I've never heard of this one before but it sounds right up my street. Great review Rachel.

Jenny said...

No third party? YESSSSSSSSSS!! I've started to develop a nervous tick whenever there's even a hint of a love triangle, I just want the story to focus on an individual couple! So glad this one does that, and I'm definitely in the mood for a fun, sexy, relatively drama-free read:) Really fantastic review Rachel!

Keertana said...

Wow, I've never heard of this series before but I want to pick it up now! I love that there's no insta-love and the fact that this lacks the usual drama is wonderful! I definitely agree with you that we all need an escape from real-life every once in awhile, so I'm looking forward to reading this when I get the chance to! I'll probably check out the previous novels first though! ;) Great review, Rachel! :D

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings

Eunice said...

This sounds like a very fun, easy but sweet read. I love stories of childhood friends turning into lovers. I'm glad to hear that this one is relatively drama and frustration free. Gotta check this out and the other books from the series too. Lovely review, Rachel! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Ohh, I love that there is no Big Separation towards the end! It reminds me of Lauren Dane's Brown Sliblings books, the later ones at least. Just a couple proceeding at normal speed. So nice. I think I might read this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...