Friday 31 August 2012

Review: Saving Grace by J.M Hill


Saving Grace

  Saving Grace by J.M. Hill 
  Publisher: Self-published
  Publication Date: April 25th 2012
  My rating: 3.5 Stars

 
Grace Burke doesn’t need a thing. She enjoys her quiet life in Fall Rivers, Colorado—running a bookstore and coffee shop with her cousin, Kate. The two have a successful business, a small circle of friends, and each other. What more could she want?

When the Anderson brothers move into the house across the street, it doesn’t take long for her to realize exactly what she’s been missing. At first sight, the youngest brother, Michael, captures Grace’s heart, and her quiet life is disrupted.

Then it turns upside down.

Grace isn’t the only one with eyes for Michael. Nina Sandler, one of Michael’s clients, threatens to come between them. When Nina can’t get Michael’s attention, she focuses on Grace—in a very dangerous way.

But love is never easy and if the best things in life are worth fighting for, then Grace must find the courage to fight. Not just for love and happiness but for her very life.


Grace and her cousin Kate are so close they’re like sisters.  They live together, run a bookstore/coffee shop, enjoy cooking, and watch sports religiously.  They lead a happy, but relatively uneventful life.   That is until the three gorgeous Anderson brothers move right next door.  They immediately hit it off with them and before you know it their lives are filled with friendship, and laughter, and for Gracie, longing.  She falls hard for Michael, the youngest of the brothers, and they form a close friendship.  Grace want to tell Michael how she feels, but is afraid of what that will do to their friendship.  Plus, there’s the issue of Nina, one of the Anderson’s clients.  Grace knows Nina likes Michael as more than a friend, but she’s not sure if Michael feels the same.  Nina makes it no secret to Grace that she doesn’t like her, and puts her down whenever she has the chance.  Of course, she only does this when Michael is out of earshot.   

Finally, at the urging of Garrett, one of the Anderson brothers, and Kate, Grace tells Michael how she feels and gets mixed signals back.  Something holds Michael back but he won’t say what, and Grace wishes she never said anything in the first place.  Add to that, Nina steps up her hate campaign.  Michael finally notices what’s been going on, and he takes immediate action, which infuriates Nina, pushing her over the edge.

Saving Grace was a sweet romance, but also a suspenseful read.  I seriously felt shades of Fatal Attraction, and I have to say, it creeped me the hell out!  I enjoyed the friendships between the Anderson brothers and also, between Grace and Kate.  Even though they weren’t sisters, they might as well have been.  Family tragedy bonded these two together, and it was touching to see their unconditional love for each other.  I loved the relationship Grace had with Garrett, the giant of a big brother she never knew she needed.  I enjoyed the romance between Michael and Grace, as well.  The gradual build from friendship to more, made their connection so much sweeter. 

I enjoyed this story overall, but it took a while to get going.   I felt the beginning to middle should’ve been shortened.  Also, this read more like a journal that Gracie was dictating, and there was a lot of telling rather than showing.  Once the story got going though, I was glued to the pages, anxious to find out what was going to happen next! 

 


11 comments:

Celine said...

Ooo, I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds really interesting! I'm a huge fan of contemporary so I might need to add this to my TBR ;) Plus, the way the pendant breaks into two with the word love on it is interesting!

Awesome review, Rachel! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I've never heard of this before but both the plot and your review have me intrigued, and worried for poor Grace, agh! And I like that once you got into it, you found it hard to put down - great review, hun!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Lovely review, Rachel! This is my first time coming across this book but it sounds pretty good. It's a shame there was a lot of telling instead of showing, but it seems like a good read otherwise. I'm glad you enjoyed it in the end! :)

Aa'Ishah said...

I'm sure I've heard the title somewhere, but I didn't know what it was about unil now. It's a shame it took you a while to get into it, but I'm glad it finally managed to have you glued. I think I'll give this one a shot. Beautiful review as always, Rachel! :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Wow this book creeped you the Hell out and had shades of Fatal Attraction? You have my attention. It is nice to find a good indie read, although not perfect, it still sounds like fun!

Jenny said...

Ooooo shades of Fatal Attraction huh? That movie freaked me out, Glenn Close was a special brand of crazy. I have to say knowing that makes me super curious about this book despite the few small flaws you mentioned. Thanks for the review Rachel!

Keertana said...

Wow, I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds so good! I love intriguing mysteries, so despite the slow start, I definitely want to give this one a try. Thanks for introducing a new book to me, Rachel, and wonderful review! :D

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings

Book Passion for Life said...

Great review Rachel. This on sounds interesting, I love a good read =)

Eunice said...

Lovely review, Rachel! I received a copy of this book from the author. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it despite the slight flaws it has. I'm thinking of starting this one later this week. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful review, Rachel. :) I'm so pleased that you ended up liking this book, in spite of your minor reservations with it. I'll probably check this out (even though me and indie books don't get along very well, heh). Sounds very interesting...

Wendy Darling said...

Ooo, romance and suspense are a great combination! Sounds like a good read for a rainy day. :)

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...