Tuesday 28 August 2012

Review: Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally


Stealing Parker

  Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally 
  Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
  Publication Date: October 1st 2012
  My rating: 4.5 Stars

 
Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.

Now Parker wants a new life.

So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?

But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?


Parker Shelton is a high-school senior that’s gone through some major hurt in her life.  Her mother took off with another woman leaving Parker, her father and brother to deal with the damage.  Her “good friend,” Laura, not only abandoned her but takes pleasure in her family’s fall from grace.  She uses every opportunity to make fun of Parker, insinuating that Parker bats for the other team just like her mom.  Parker feels the need to prove Laura and other gossipers wrong, by quitting the baseball team, losing weight, and kissing every cute boy possible.  Trouble with that is she really misses baseball, doesn’t like hurting boys, and doesn’t care for the reputation she’s getting. 

When her best friend Drew proposes that she take a job as a manager to his baseball team, Parker sees this as a way to get close to the game she misses.  Complications arise when she meets the new junior coach, Brian and he starts paying attention to her.  Brian makes Parker feel special and she can’t help but feel a connection with someone just as passionate about the game as she is.  Parker is and should be off-limits to Brian.  He’s twenty-three and a school teacher, and Parker isn’t even eighteen yet.  To add more confusion to this situation is Will, aka, Corndog (yes the name is ridiculous, but there’s a story behind it).  Will starts paying more attention to Parker and they connect on so many levels.  She’s shied away from Will in the past, first because of her heartless “friend” Laura, and then later because they were both competing for class valedictorian.  That competition is now over, the decision has been made, and Laura is no longer in the equation.  Suddenly, Will is prominently in the picture, so easy to talk too, and so very understanding. 

This story tugged on my heart.  I felt so bad for Parker.  She had the rug pulled out from under her and instead of having her friend Laura to support her, she uses it as an opportunity to crush her like a bug.  Jealous much?!!  You bet, as you’ll see! In addition to having no support from Laura, her dad basically checks out and Parker is left to step into the role her mother held, doing the household chores and cooking for the family.  Parker was easy to relate to and like.  She was never bitter or hateful, even when she had reason to be.  Also, I would’ve liked her less if she continued on kissing a bunch of boys and kicking them to the curb.  Once she clues in on the effects of her behavior you see some definite changes.  I had mixed feelings for Drew, Parker’s best guy friend.  In some instances he was really supportive of Parker but still, something turns me off of him in the end.

I fell hard for Will.  Here’s a quote I loved:

“Hey,” he says, giving me a bright grin, showing off the dimple in his right cheek.  Yeah, yeah, I know you’re hot, Corndog.  I fight the urge to roll my eyes. Thanks to the years he’s spent baling hay on his dad’s farm, Corndog has gone from not to hot, from scrawny to sinewy, from geek to god, and now has to beat girls off with a stick.*

Yep, he’s wrapped in a drool-worthy package but the insides are quite nice too *swoon*!  Who can resist a boy who’ll sit and watch a chick-flick with you and enjoy it?  Will was there for Parker when she needed him most.  Plus, you can’t help but admire the way he cares for and loves his little brother.  Oh my heart!

 I did want a little more with a certain couple in the end, but I’ve been assured by Miranda that I get my wish in her next novel: Things I Can’t Forget.  I loved Catching Jordan so much that I have to say, I was a little afraid to read this and be disappointed. I had no reason to worry.  Stealing Parker stole my heart and I can’t wait for Miranda Kenneally’s next story!

 Random quote that had me laughing: “You were in the equipment shed with Corn Fritter?” “Corndog,” Will, Dr. Salter, and I say simultaneously.*

*Quotes are taken from an uncorrected proof and may change in the final copy. 




20 comments:

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Sigh...I have had Catching Jordan on my kindle for who knows how long and now this one is coming out! I desperately want to read this author! I just need a sweet vanilla romance even though this has plenty of heart tugging moments! I must get the TBR under control!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

It's about time for me to read Cathing Jordan. You ladies have all teamed up against me. FINE! I promise I'll read it next week.
I like that Parker is a character I can easily connect with, that's pretty much what I need from contemporary. Well, that and a sweet romance, so I guess we're covered. :)

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I didn't fall in love with Catching Jordan. I think it was mostly because I was too preoccupied to enjoy it as much as I could have. After all, I adore slow-growing romance.

And I like Will. Partly because of the dimple but mostly because Will is a really hot name.

Great review, Rachel :D

Jessica@Booked Up! said...

This one looks like a great read - the blurb really caught my eye and the front cover is so cute!

I feel so sorry for Parker. It sounds like she had to go through a really tough time and her "best friend" Laura sounds horrible!

And I have to meet Will, because like Gelli ^ said, he has a very hot name!

Thanks for the amazing review, Rachel :) xxx

-Ria xo said...

Yay, I love the sound of this! And the fact that you enjoyed it makes me want to read it even more.(: Ew, Laura sounds so annoying, nasty and mean. ):

WILL.<33I already love him, hahaha. Lovely review, Rachel!<3

Jenny said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH TOO RACHEL! I'm not a huge contemporary YA fan (though that's slowly starting to change), but Miranda's books are amazing, and I loved both Jordan and Parker and I can't wait to read the next book. I felt so bad for Parker throughout, and I was madly in love with Will from the beginning. So. Good. Fabulous review my dear!

Anna said...

I loved Catching Jordan so I can't wait to read Stealing Parker. Will sounds amazing :) Great review!

Eunice said...

This sounds like something I would absolutely enjoy! And this Will guy...*sigh* I think I love him already! Haha! I need to read Catching Jordan soon then this! Fab review Rachel! :)

Keertana said...

Wonderful review, Rachel! I loved Catching Jordan and I'm SO excited about the release of this one! I've requested it on NetGalley, so I'm hoping I get approved! I think the characters in this are ones I'm going to love from the start and Miranda's writing is so fun and quirky that it just sucks you in! I can't wait! :)

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings

Unknown said...

Oh, yay! I can't wait to read Stealing Parker! I get more excited w/every great review I read. I'm glad this lived up to expectations, Rachel. Great review. I loved the quotes!

Wendy Darling said...

Sounds cute! Glad you enjoyed it, Rachel--I know how much you liked the author's previous book. :)

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Beverley said...

This sounds like such a fabulous book! I'm already feeling terribly sorry for Parker - I can't believe her mum could just walk out on her family for another WOMAN! Now that is scandalous!

I'm already hating Laura. I hate people who make fun of you and yet call themselves your 'friend'. I have a feeling I will love hating her ;)

And Will, omg... Can I meet him now? He sounds so sweet, I want a guy who'll watch chick-flicks with me and be there for me!!!

Fab review, Rachel <3 Need to add this to my wishlist now!

brandileigh2003 said...

Will sounds awesome, I need to get my hands on this one soon.
Glad you enjoyed!
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I'm pleased you loved this book as much as Catching Jordan, because I know how much you enjoyed this series. :) Corndog sounds adorable and absolutely swoon- worthy, while I would glad punch Laura in the solar plexus for you. ;) Fabulous review, lovely!

YA Anonymous said...

Ooh, I may have to read this first instead of Catching Jordan. Hot farmboy? Sign me up! Great review, Rachel!

-Maggie

tthepageturner said...

I don't usually read contemp romance, but this sounds so good! -adds to wishlist- Love the quote too. *swoons*

Great review! =)

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

The book description is a little off-putting for me, but after all the great reviews for this book AND Catching Jordan, I think I'll need to try this author's work soon. Plus Will sounds quite appealing. ;) Brilliant review, Rachel! I'm glad you enjoyed this. :)

Rachel said...

So glad to hear you loved this one too, Jenny. Especially coming from someone who is not a huge contemporary YA fan. I can't wait to read the next book too. :)

Rachel said...

Ugh, can't stand Laura! Thank you Ria. :)

Rachel said...

I totally sympathize with you Heidi, although I think you're TBR may be a little more out of control than mine. Best of luck there! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...