Saturday 25 August 2012

Review: Inbetween by Tara A. Fuller

Inbetween (Kissed by Death, #1)

  Inbetween by Tara A. Fuller
  Publisher: Entangled Teen
  Publication date: 28th August 2012
  Source: NetGalley
  My rating: 4 Stars




Since the car crash that took her father’s life three years ago, Emma’s life has been a freaky — and unending — lesson in caution. Surviving “accidents” has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option.

It’s not easy being dead, especially for a reaper in love with a girl fate has put on his list not once, but twice. Finn’s fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn’t let her die before, and he’s not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil he accidentally unleashed, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left…his soul.

When I started this story, I really had no expectations since I haven’t read much of anything about Reapers.  I was guessing it might be a depressing story considering what Reapers do, thankfully I was very wrong.

Finn is a Reaper, someone who collects the souls of the dying for the Inbetween.   The Inbetween is a place for the souls of people who haven’t yet established their place in the afterlife, whether they’d go to Heaven or Hell is still to be determined.  So why do we have Finn urging Emma to fight for her life, instead of reaping her soul, in the opening scene?  You see as the story progresses, that Emma is everything to Finn, even if she’s forbidden. Unfortunately for Finn and Emma, she’s everything to Maeve, too; a shade with an axe to grind.   

Emma is a seventeen year-old girl who lost her father in a car accident that almost took her life as well.  Since then she’s been plagued by dreams of another life and a boy with haunting green eyes, and she feels like someone is watching her.  As if that wasn’t enough, Emma’s had several “accidents” or near misses that have almost killed her, since the car accident.  Emma doesn’t even think of a future when hers seems iffy at best. 

I felt bad for both Emma and Finn, but more so for Emma.  She thinks she’s crazy and having hallucinations and with all those close calls, I’d be afraid to leave the house! Emma doesn’t even feel comfortable sharing any this with her best friend, Cash.  The last time she told anyone anything, she wound up in a mental institution.  I felt bad for Finn too.  He constantly watches over Emma, fearing for her safety, yet is forbidden from being part of her life.  Of course, he can’t help himself, and then I was on pins and needles, wondering what’s going to happen to him.  Even though she’s alive and he’s dead and incorporeal, we do get a swoony romance.  Here’s a teaser for you:

I stepped into Emma, feeling her warmth draw me in.  She looked up, eyes wide, her peppermint breath fanning across my face. “What are you doing?”  She gasped, unable to catch her breath.  I ran an iridescent finger down her arm to her wrist, watched it scatter like stars across her skin.  Her breath hitched in her throat.  Her heart beat so hard the sound rippled through me like a shock wave. When her eyes met mine, the amount of want in them nearly brought me to my knees.*

At first, I thought there may be a love-triangle in the works because I kept getting thoughts like this from Emma:  “Cash was sarcasm and seduction wrapped up with a gooey artistic center.  He didn’t need a T-shirt to get any girl he wanted.  All he had to do was look at them.  The bad part was he knew it.”*  I was sort of drooling over Cash throughout the book, but I still didn’t want a love-triangle.  Plus, I was a little annoyed with him in the beginning.  The fact that Cash didn’t really believe Emma ticked me off.  Thankfully, no love-triangle appeared, and I’m happy to report we will get more Cash in the next story.  The story will be told in Cash and Anaya’s POVs.  Exactly what I hoped for!

This story felt like it flew by, I read it in pretty much in one day.  It was a story that easily held my attention, and I was quickly turning the pages eager to find out how things would turn out.  I’m pleased that things wrapped up nicely and we weren’t left with a cliffhanger.  With the way things were left with Cash, I’m anxious to read the next story. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this. 

*Quotes are taken from an uncorrected proof and may change in the final copy. 



16 comments:

Aa'Ishah said...

I haven't really had any luck with reapers, but I do still want to read this. Finn and Emma sound very likeable, and I'd definitely feel sorry for Emma too. Cash sounds annoying, how can he be her best friend and not believe her? Characters like that annoy me. And oh, that teaser! It has me melting. Beautiful review as always, Rachel! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Reapers are fantastic, Rachel! There is Charley Davidson, and Madison Avery and everyone in Croak. When I first saw this, I honestly didn't think it would be for me, but after reading your review, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. :)

Erin W. said...

I love anything with reapers in it. Sounds like a cool read too! As always great review!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I enjoyed this overall but wanted more development and detail. .i was super relieved that it didn't stray into love triangle terriotory where I thought it was going. I really liked Finn and his willinglness to sacrifice everything for the girl he loves. I will be interested to follow up on this series!

Keertana said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Rachel! I don't think I've read anything with reapers in it before, but this sounds fantastic! I really think I'll have to give it a shot. I wasn't sure if this book was for me, but I think it just might be! Fantastic review! :D

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Brilliant review, Rachel! I enjoyed Tara's Perigee Moon so I'm looking forward to reading this book soon. I'm glad to hear a love triangle didn't develop in the end but you were still able to drool over Cash. I'm looking forward to meeting him and Finn. ;)

C.J. said...

No love triangle! Yipee! This is such a fun book, I can't wait to read it. I'm actually a bit disappointed it's not a little bit depressing. It's hard to have a character who just lost their father who isn't really melancholy, you know? I hope it's treated well.

C.J.
Sarcasm&Lemons

Jessica@Booked Up! said...

I've read quite a lot of books with Reapers, and always love them! So obviously I'm going to have to try Inbetween - I've just got to meet Finn.

I'm relieved that there is no love triangle. Those are starting to really annoy me.

Thanks for a wonderful review Rachel! :)xxx

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

I'm so thankful the love triangle didn't turn out, either! I never really liked Cash, (anymore than a friend), I'm not sure what everyone is swooning about. I still like Finn and his green eyes. :) Hehe great review! I don't read much about Reapers, either. Happy reading!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice review, Rachel. I'm glad you enjoyed this one...it's always fun to dive into a book that turns into a fast read. Yay for no love triangles too. I've never read a book about Reapers, either, I don't believe...so that's interesting.

-Lauren

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I haven't read any books about reapers but I did watch the short-lived tv show, Reaper!

This sounds really good, I already feel sorry for Emma and I'm very happy to hear that there is no love-triangle!

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo jealous. This was one book I was desperate to get from NetGalley and I got declined! :(

Still, your review has only made me more eager to read this book! It sounds really good and I like the sound of a Reaper. I've never really read a book with reapers, either, but it does sound brilliant.

It's nice to hear the love triange doesn't evolve, but I doubt that would have dettered me anyway. I actually don't mind love-triangles if they're well written.

Lovely review.

starryeyedjen said...

Oh, wow! I didn't realize the next book would be told from Cash and Anaya's POVs, though I guess I should've guessed something like that, with the way Finn noticed Anaya acting weird around Cash. I could just tell there was a story there, ya know?

I agree...it was a real page-turner. So happy you enjoyed it, as well. Lovely review!

Anonymous said...

Stunning review, Rachel! I initally presumed that this book wouldn't be for me AT ALL, but after your review, I'm seriously starting to question my decision... And hello, reapers! Not a common supernatural being in YA books. :)

Kim said...

Ohhh, Cash sounds sooo swoon-worthy <3 Even if he isn't the main character! I'm glad that there wasn't a love-triangle though since usually they end really really badly. And Emma and Finn sound perfect together judging from that quote ;) I think I'd probably feel bad for the both of them too! Anyway, I'm so excited to read this now since I've never read a book about reapers either! Thanks so much for the lovely review x)

Wendy Darling said...

I hadn't heard of this one, Rachel--thanks for the heads up!

And omg, you haven't read any reaper books yet? You would love the SOUL SCREAMERS series, and Gina Dimato's CROAK and SCORCH too!

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...