Tuesday 21 August 2012

Review: Spark by Brigid Kemmerer


  Spark Brigid Kemmerer 
  Publisher: Kensington
  Publication date: August 28th 2012
  Source: NetGalley
  My Rating: 4 stars

 
Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.

Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. Like the fire that killed his parents.

Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he’s not doing it.

More than Gabriel’s pride is at stake -- this could cost him his family, maybe his life. And no one seems to hear him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.

Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.

The fuse is lit…

In Spark we are told the story from Merrick brother Gabriel, In Storm I just saw Gabriel as the hot headed cheeky Merrick brother, Chris had already played so much havoc with my heart in Storm that I didn’t think another Merrick brother would be able to sneak their way in, but boy was I wrong.

*contains some spoilers if you haven't read Storm*
Now that the problems with the guide have been dealt with, the Merrick brothers can stay put, but under one condition that they don’t bring attention to themselves. Gabriel has a tough time dealing with this; he has a tough time dealing with anyone telling him what to do period. But especially now his control over his element is evolving there are only so many places he can practice without bringing everything burning down, plus with his brothers being able to control their elements that little bit more Gabriel feels left out. But then Hunter comes up with a suggestion, it’s risky but at least this way Gabriel can practice his element.

I devoured Spark in one day, I don’t know what it is, Kemmerer just has a special way with words that lures you in, that you never want to leave. I was so disappointed when I’d finished this book as I have no idea when I’ll next get my Merrick brother fix I have to confess I may be a little bit enamoured by them to the point of obsession. Anyway I digress it was seriously something getting Gabriel’s pov. I love how with each book Kemmerer allows us to get to know each brother that little bit more. I was totally surprised by the side we were given of Gabriel, underneath all that bravado there is a true softy. Some of his scenes just shredded at my heart and others just made me melt. I don’t know why I had overlooked Gabriel in Storm, may be because I had Chris far too much on the brain, or maybe because of Gabriel’s snarky tendencies and his hot headedness. Previously I had thought that the scenes with Becca and Chris were sweet, but now I’ve come to the realisation that they don’t compare to some of the scenes between Gabriel and Layne. I know a lot of readers will be reconsidering Gabriel as their favourite Merrick brother after this.

I enjoyed how in Spark we were able to move away from the issues that were integral in Storm. The focus was on something completely different and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also liked how we got to see another side of Michael, he came across as a person who didn’t need to control everything, yes he was in Gabriel’s face a lot of the time, but he had loosened up a lot more since Storm.

Again with Hunter I’m still confused where I stand with him, it was great he was helping Gabriel out, but I still felt he had his own agenda I don’t know why. I’m hoping the novella from Hunter’s pov will finally clear everything up.

Kemmerer again hasn’t failed to disappoint me with her latest instalment; she has again left me wanting more. I can’t wait until my next Merrick fix.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington for the opportunity to read this book.


21 comments:

-Ria xo said...

I read a review of this a while ago on Book Overdose, and Eunice had me dying to read it! Gabriel sounds like such a great character.<3 I love those series books where each one is told from a different POV of the same characters. And it sounds likes it works so well here!

Why didn't I request this?! I hope you enjoy Hunter's book and learn to understand him more.(:

I really love the sound of this series, and if you liked this one so much that you could read it in a day, then I'm sure I'd enjoy it. :D

Wonderful review, Jasprit!<3

aparajita said...

Great review...

GOD i seriously need to pick up this series....been reading very amazing reviews about them everywhere....and OMG these boys look FFFIIIIIIINNNNNNNNEEEEE

Le' Grande Codex

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I find it really interesting that Hunter's in this book. I can't work out how I feel about him! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reuniting with the brothers very soon. Nick is my favourite, but I do love them all. :D Fantastic review, Jasprit!

Stepping Out of the Page said...

Really fantastic review as always, Jasprit! I really must get around to reading these books - I have heard so many great things about them and I'm very glad that you enjoyed them (you always seem to have a good taste in books!). Thanks for sharing!

Steph @ Stepping Out Of The Page

Jessica@Booked Up! said...

The blurb for this one had already really intrigued me, but reading your excellent review has got me dying to read this! When you can finish a book in a day it must be good! This series is going straight on my Wishlist.

Thanks for, as usual, a brilliant review, Jasprit! :) xxx

Rachel said...

Can't wait for Spirit too!!!! Love these books too! I'm so happy you enjoyed this book too!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful review Jasprit!! I like how more intense Gabe's and Layne's romance was too. I'm stuck with Nick as my favorite even more after this book, but now i actually like Gabe.

Anonymous said...

Yay! :) I'm so happy that you loved this book. I'm sure to love it too now, Jasprit! :)
Like you, I kind of disregarded Gabriel. I was way into Michael and Chris in Storm. I'm excited to meet him. Plus, you mentioned how much sweeter Layne and Gabriel are as compared to Chris and Becca.
Don't worry about obsessing over the Merrick Brothers! I think it's hard not to be obsessed over them! ;)
Lovely review, Jasprit! :)

roro said...

great review. i loved storm can wait for this one

Blueicegal ♥ said...

ooohh. he sounds like a bit of a hot head but i can already feel the swoon :D synopsis makes it come across as a bit of a cliche but i'm definitely curious :)

Jenny said...

YEAH JASPRIT! Wasn't Gabriel amazing in this book? He just absolutely destroyed me with how broken he was at times, I wanted to reach in and hug him and then shove Layne in his direction so he would have someone to comfort him. Like you, I enjoyed Chris and Becca, but Gabriel and Layne were just on a whole new level. Gorgeous review:):):):)

Keertana said...

Wonderful review, Jasprit!(: I can't wait to finally read Spark! Like you, Chris totally stole my heart and I can't believe I'll have room for Gabriel, but I'm sure he'll wind up winning me over just as fast, if not faster! You've made me so much more excited about this novel than I was before, so I can't wait to go back and meet the Merrick brothers. I think they're probably one of my favorite fictional families ever (and not just because they're all ridiculously hot)! ;)

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

A little obsessed with these hot boys? Well that is just fantastic. I am reading great reviews on this and that is awesome! So happy to hear that this series continues to excel! I requested this and never got an answer.Weird!

Jasprit said...

I'm the same he seriously baffled me in Storm too! I still had my doubts about him in this book too, I thought he had his own agenda. Hopefully we'll get to know him better in his novella story! :) Also you can totally have Nick! As long as I can have Gabriel and Chris! I can't decide between the two! ;)

Jasprit said...

That happened to me too Heidi, Brigid posted something on her blog, I think it's still there if you check it out, for some reason they were meant to automatically approve bloggers but they weren't she said if you had any problems just email her with your blog details and she would pass the info on, this is what I did and then I received a copy! Fingers crossed it works out! :)

brandileigh2003 said...

This sounds really good, I still need to get ahold of the first one.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Wendy Darling said...

Okay, not reading this review just yet, but yay! Four stars! :D :D :D

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Vegan YA Nerds said...

Great review, hun! I really didn't like Gabriel so I'm keen to find out what I think of him in his own book and I'm glad Michael improves, he was such a grump in Storm!

Unknown said...

I haven't read Storm, so I skimmed over this. Thanks for the warning! I've been meaning to start this series. I keep reading reviews that reinforce that, yours included. ;-) I'm glad you enjoyed Spark!

Eunice said...

I feel like I get to know more of the Merrick brothers after reading Spark. I really like Michael here too! Brigid Kemmerer really did not disappoint us. Awesome review, Jasprit!

Anonymous said...

Love the review, Jasprit! I want to meet these Merrick boys and make them MINE (har har). ;) This series have been stalking me everywhere so it's clearly a sign that I must read it as soon as I can. :) So thrilled you're liking these smoking hot boys, I mean, errr... these books. :)

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

I haven't read your review Jaspirit because I hope to start this series soon but I'm glad to see it didn't disappoint you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...