Thursday 2 August 2012

Review: Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson


  Title: Losing Lila
  Author: Sarah Alderson
  Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
  Publication date: 2nd August 2012
  My rating: 4 stars 

  

Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which somehow is managing to track their every move. Whilst Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila’s only thought is of finding a way back to California so that she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they’re being held.

Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the people she’s come to think of as family, Lila plans not just to save her brother and mother, but to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. 

But the plan requires Lila to return alone to California, make friends with the enemy, and to risk losing everything - Alex, her family, and even her life.

Losing Lila was a book I’d immediately added to my wish list once I’d devoured Hunting Lila earlier this year. Sarah Alderson had made me go through so much with the first book, and then she left me flabbergasted with two big sucker punches at the end! Alderson sure knows how to toy with your emotions, with teasers for Losing Lila posted on her twitter, a promise of a pov from Alex at the end of Losing Lila and the novella Catching Suki kept me hanging on for more. I honestly couldn’t wait for its release; I’d pre-ordered my copy long ago and nervously counted down the days. But I was super lucky to get my hands on an arc thanks to the lovely Sam over at Realm of Fiction. I literally jumped up for joy when my copy arrived, all my current reads could wait as nothing would be getting in the way of me and Alex Losing Lila.

Losing Lila kicks off with Alex and Lila on the run from the unit. Now finally understanding what the unit is up to, Lila couldn’t get away fast enough. But after what happened and the bombshell Demos dropped Lila has no choice but to go back, but with security obviously upped after what happened, it’s going to be tough to convince the unit to welcome them back with open arms. But Lila and Alex need to come up with some plan as they need to go back.

Alderson sure knows how to suck you back into a book, I was super excited for it from the beginning, but so many things are thrown your way from the get go; my heart was pumping frantically, I had an immediate adrenaline rush (this may have largely due to the fact that I was back with the gorgeous Alex). Alex and Lila were in such a tough situation, I was surprised that Lila hadn’t already crumbled with everything going on around her. But Alex was the strong support she needed, he always had faith in her and her ability and provided the re-assurance that they would find a way out (with or without Demos).

I had so much fun being back in this world again, I think that these are the best bunch of characters I’ve ever come across. Ever since Hunting Lila I had been dying to get to know Demos’s group more and we certainly got the chance to. I didn’t think it was possible but I loved them even more after this instalment. I adored Suki ever since we got to know her that little bit more in Catching Suki, but I again looked forward to her quirky, zany personality, her quick witty comebacks with the others and her and Nates constant fangirling over Alex. Demos; this big hunk of a man, still remains a big enigma to me, but I adored his character so much and on several occasions my heart went out to him.

Alex; this guy deserves his own paragraph, in Hunting Lila he quickly became one of my favourite literary crushes and in Losing Lila he easily proved why. Some of his scenes were so swoony and gut wrenchingly achy. This guy so knows how to wear his heart on his sleeve, and I think that’s what made me love him even more, he wasn’t afraid to reveal his feelings for Lila or defend her honour *sigh*.

Losing Lila provided a powerful follow up to the unforgettable Hunting Lila. It was fast paced and again constantly had us in two minds as we never knew who we could fully trust, and who would stab us in the back. Overall Losing Lila was an action packed engrossing read full with nonstop tantalising moments. It will definitely be joining Hunting Lila on my favourites shelf.             


17 comments:

Jessica@Booked Up! said...

I'm pretty bad, I haven't even read Hunting Lila yet! But Alex does sounds gorgeous, maybe he could be one of my book boyfriends. ;)

Great review, Jasprit! :D xxx

Anonymous said...

I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but since both you and Sam are singing this book's praises, I've decided to get my copy when it comes out. I loved the ending of Hunting Lila, so I'm hoping that this one will be even better. Alex seems very swoon-worthy! :)
Can't wait to read the book!
Lovely review, Jasprit!

The Teen Book Guru said...

OMGOMGOMGOMG *fangirls* Jasprit! I love this review!! You just reminded me why I love Alex and Suki, and Lila so much. Oh my gosh I cannot wait to meet Alex again. He's so awesome and strong and warm and really hot. ;) I LOVE him! You are so lucky you got to read this! Sam rocks. :) <333 I just can't believe some people haven't read Hunting Lila yet -.- They seriously don't know what they're missing! LOVELY review, J! As always. ;) xxxxx

Unknown said...

Gorgeous review, Jasprit! <3 I know how much you loved Alex, er, Hunting Lila, so I'm very excited that you finally read this book! I peeked my copy of Hunting Lila and oh wow, I think I'm going to love Alex too! <3 Guys who defend you without hesitation are the best! x) I need to find out more about Alex soon! <3

Keertana said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Jasprit! Although I wasn't as big a fan of Hunting Lila as many other readers were, I'm still looking forward to this novel! I'm glad to see that the romance between Alex and Lila has more than its share of swoon-worthy scenes as I'm curious to see how they interact in a real relationship. Plus, it's good to know that the non-stop action from Hunting Lila only continues in this novel! I can't wait to read it myself! Brilliant review, Jasprit! You've made me want to go and pick up this novel today itself! :)

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings

Jenny said...

Um. Jasprit? I think I need an Alex for myself:) He sounds like such a fantastic character, and I love that we get a guy who isn't broody or closed off, but instead tries a more open approach. That's hugely appealing. I still need to read Hunting Lila, I think this is a series I will absolutely love!

Beautiful review:)

Eunice said...

Eep! I'm so excited to start this Jasprit and have my reunion with Alex! LOL! I'm so glad this is a fantastic sequel the lives up to it's predecessor. And I can't wait to see the development between Lila and Alex and see all those swoon-worthy moments! Brilliant review, Jasprit! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

How is it that all of you who reviewed this book early failed to mention the most important thing: does alex take off his shirt or not? :D
I seriously don't understand you, ladies, pacing, plot, characters, nothing is as important as that!
The Book Depository people are incapable of delivering on time. It will be days before I get my copy, even though I preordered. It makes me feel so much better that both you and Sam liked it, though.
Great review as always, Jasprit!

Leanna Elle said...

Sounds like this one definitely lives up to Hunting Lila. Can't wait for more Alex!

-Ria xo said...

JASPRIT!! OMG, AHH! You've just reminded me why Alex is one of my favourite book boyfriends, and why I love Lila and this whole story SO much.<3

I haven't read Catching Suki, I always manage to forget about the 0.5 books of series I read. ): omg, ikr? Lila is so strong, she's amazing.

Thanks for such a wonderdul review, Jasprit! I'm so excited to read this!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I still haven't read Hunting Lila and now the sequel is almost out...sigh...I have heard so many great things about Alex. I am glad this one lived up to your expectations. I love books that suck me into their world!

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

Eeek, I can't wait to meet Alex. After reading Sam's review of this, I borrowed Hunting Lila from the library. God, I'll have to get to it soon. Great review Jaspirit. Glad you enjoyed this one too :)

Aa'Ishah said...

You've got me wanting more of Alex and I didn't even fall in love with him! I'm hoping I'll enjoy the second book more than the first. *crosses fingers* Beautiful review, Jasprit! :)

Vegan YA Nerds said...

Loved this review, Jas! You have me hoping that I might enjoy LL more than HL!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I'm so glad this lived up to your high expectations, Jasprit! I love your Alex paragraph. Couldn't agree more with what you said there. :D I liked how this book started with action from the word go. It was so fast-paced, but Sarah Alderson never forgot to squeeze in a few tender scenes. ;) Great review lovely! :)

Jasprit said...

Eeeep such an important question Maja and I failed to mention it all in my review :/ I think you will be satisfied with what Alderson provides. I know one scene in particular will definitely make your day! Can't wait until you get your copy! :)

Rebecca said...

Yay! SO glad to hear you enjoyed this! I love Hunting Lila but Losing Lila was even better, and even managed to exceed my expectations. Alex sure is dreamy, isn't he! *swoons* *fans self* Great review! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...