Wednesday 19 June 2013

Review: Confessions of An Almost - Girlfriend by Louise Rozett

Confessions of Almost - Girlfriend by Louise Rozett
Publisher: Harlequin
Publication date: June 18th 2013.
My rating: 5 stars 


Rose Zarelli has big plans for sophomore year—everything is going to be different. This year, she’s going to be the talented singer with the killer voice, the fabulous girl with the fashionista best friend, the brainiac who refuses to let Jamie Forta jerk her around... ...but if she’s not careful, she’s also going to be the sister who misses the signals, the daughter who can only think about her own pain, the “good girl” who finds herself in mid-scandal again (because no good deed goes unpunished) and possibly worst of all...the almost-girlfriend. When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself.

Rose has come a long way since we last met her in Confessions of an Angry Girl. She still has that fire and passion which we see from time to time in little fiery outbursts. And she continually finds herself tangled up in other people’s messes even though she tries to stay away from it all. But she brings so much flair and spunk that you can’t but help forming such a strong connection with her.


Rose is still dealing with what happened at last year’s prom, she hasn’t heard a single peek from Jamie over the summer, so she has no clue where she stands with him. And Jamie is also the worst person to get anything out of, he’s kind, considerate and extremely hot, but the most closed off person ever, he never even gives an inch away in his facial expressions. So when Jamie finally makes an unexpected appearance, Rose is confused, she wants nothing more than to be with him, but he doesn’t even seem to acknowledge her. On top of stressing out over Jamie; Rose’s mother is on her case about taking down her site dedicated to her father. Rose doesn’t get why she’s being all uptight about it, she finds it’s her only outlet. Her mother feels the need to take her to joint counselling sessions too. Her brother Peter has gone off the rails and has turned to drugs, her mother isn’t either aware of the situation or is completely ignoring it and her best friend has finally staked her name at school with her big website The Sharp List. But what’s left for Rose? She still needs to figure out so much and people constantly holding out on her doesn’t help in the slightest.


I adored Rose’s character, even though she was up to her eyeballs in her own problems, she was always there making an effort (where as others saw this as poking her nose) with others. She was the only one to stand up to a bunch of bullies, but then to be blamed as ratting them out. It’s not Rose’s fault that she discovered things she wasn’t meant to, if people told the truth in the first place people wouldn’t have so many problems. Also I fully understood Rose’s outbursts; she had so much stress to deal with, that she was one of those people who used to be kept awake at night because of over thinking.  That she could only take everything for so long before she had to find and outlet of some sort. Whereas I adored Jamie in Confessions of an Angry Girl, I had kind of mixed feelings about him in this book. He constantly blew hot and cold with Rose, although I enjoyed some of the dreamy scenes between him and Rose I wish he would make his mind up already and decide what he wanted. The way things ended were kind of expected, I wished that things had been different, but I feel that the stance Rose took in the end really illustrated just how much she had matured. 


Despite there being so much chaos in Rose’s life, there was once again lots of humour littered through the book. Rose’s snark and honest judgements were refreshingly funny. Then there was also Robert and Angelo who had me in hysterics with their antics. Rozett also introduced some great new characters who brought wit, charm and charisma to the story making me want to hug this book and never let it go.


Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend was an epic follow up to Confessions of an Angry Girl. I didn’t think it was possible to love these characters anymore but Rozett managed to work her magic once again. I can’t wait to be back with this wonderful world that Rozett has created once more.



32 comments:

Unknown said...

So I haven't read this book's predecessor but she sounds like a character I could like.

Great review, Jasprit! :)

Melanie said...

Ooh man... Rose us seriously amazing in her own ways. I read #1 recently and have #2 for tour soon and cannot wait to dig in, you had me extremely excited. Though I'm still a little wavy of Jamie... :|

Lovely review, chick! <33

Unknown said...

I liked the first one but have heard a lot of people saying that the second is better so looking forward to it now. Glad that the characters made you love them even more :D

Anonymous said...

So happy that you loved this, Jasprit. I read this last week and I loved Rose even more than the first book too.
She is so loveable and I love that she has grown so much throughout the 2 books.
Jamie on the otherhand frustrated me with his hot and cold nature and I personally thought, Rose deserved someone better than him.
Lovely review, Jasprit.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Oh wow, Jasprit! I've seen this book around on Netgalley, but I always overlooked it because I thought it would be too over-dramatic and petty for me, but it sounds like it was just a fantastic read. Plus, the characters seem well-rounded, and that totally appeals to me! Wonderful review! :)

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Great review. Glad you enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

I haven't read the first book, but definitely want to. I'm so glad that you loved this one, and it's obvious that you were very drawn to Rose and her story. Great review, Jasprit!

Bookworm Brandee said...

Fantastic review, Jasprit! I can tell that Rose and her story really touched you. Both books are on my TBR and I can't wait to read them after reading your review. I love it when a book has characters that draw you in the way these seem to have done for you. :)

Jenny said...

So excited for this one Jasprit! I'm a bit bummed Jamie blows so hot and cold in this one, but I do understand why he might have a few reservations about them begin together given the age difference. It's not much in terms of years, but it's much bigger in terms of maturity (not to mention legally). So glad Rose is such a highlight though, I just adored her in book one and can't wait to see how she grows in this one! Fabulous review:)

Siiri said...

Wow! 5 stars? Yay. I didn't read the first one, but I want to read it now since absolutely every review I've seen about the sequel is positive. Ok, my relatives just came, it was my sister's graduation today, so I've gotta run, BUT I can't wait to read the first one and I'm so glad you enjoyed this baby so much:)

Unknown said...

Great review, Jasprit! I haven't read the first one, but after seeing how much you loved both of them, I'm excited to add both of them to my ever-growing tbr list.

Aneeqah said...

I've heard such fabulous things about the first one, Jasprit, so I'm glad the follow-up managed to be just as amazing! Rose sounds like a fantastic main character, I'm loving the sound of this snark! ;) And it's so great that she matured throughout the book- I really like character development like that. Even with a hot and cold Jamie, some of the other secondary characters do sound fantastic and hilarious, which is always a huge plus.

Lovely review, Jasprit!! I'm totally going to have to pick up the first book sometime soon. <3

-Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

Sarah Elizabeth said...

This is very close to the top of my tbr pile so i'm not going to read all of your review. glad you loved it though!!

Keertana said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this so much, Jasprit! I haven't read this series at all, but it sounds like the type I would really like. I'll have to give this a shot for sure. Great review, dear! :)

Emma said...

I'm really looking forward to this for my tour... Personally the first one wasn't my kind of book as it was very young. If that makes sense... certain things just annoyed me and I was a little confused by how these effected them at such an early age. I really hope this makes sense... haha. I'll look forward to reading this, starting from today... :) Lovely review, Jasprit. :)

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I have yet to read the first book but seeing how much you liked this followup is so good to hear! Great review!

Pooja. S said...

Yess I'm so glad you loved it as much as I did, Jasprit! Honestly cannot wait for more of this series :D

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

It seems like Rose is a fascinating character! I wonder what's going on with her mom and brother... and what's the sharp list? Guess I'll have to read the book to find out. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Great review! I loved it and can't wait for book 3 :)

Sophia said...

Oh, my goodness! I've read SO many glowing reviews for this series, and I still haven't picked the first book up yet. It sounds like a fantastic book and I cannot wait to meet Rose. I have a feeling I'll love her! I'm a bit scared to hear that you didn't like Jamie as much as you did in the first installment, though. I hate when boys go hot and cold. Just make up your mind!

What a lovely review, Jasprit! I must try this series because it sounds like it'd be right up my alley. Glad you loved this one!

Sassy Sarah Reads said...

Great review! I haven't read the first book and it's unlikely that I will. If I ever run out of things to read though I'll probably look into this series.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I so wanted to read COAG last year and just didn't have time, Sad face....Now I regret it seeing this five star review for the sequel.

The Teen Book Guru said...

5 stars?! Yippeee! It's so great that the sequel didn't suffer from second-book-syndrrome. :D I haven't read the first book in the series, but I've actually been meaning to (kind of subconsciously) for a long time. Aaaw Rose seems like a wonderful character, it's nice that she still makes time for other people even though she has her own problems. Wonderful review, Jasprit! Thanks for reminding me that I really need to pick up the first book. <3 x

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I still haven't read the first book in this series and I was planing on waiting to see reviews for this one. It seems to me that I should read this series. Great review! :)

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I LOOVED this one, glad you did too :)

Unknown said...

I guess I need to pick up this series. I love character development and watching them grow and Rose sounds like that type of character. Sounds like an exciting book :D glad you loved it!

brandileigh2003 said...

So glad you enjoyed this one more than me. I wasn't feeling it this time around, but continuing with her character development does sound great.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Oh, dear, it seems that I'm missing out big time! Well, that sucks! I haven't read the first one either, but I love that it continues in such an awesome way and that the characters just keep developing, Rose especially.
I'll go put it on my list.
Lovely review, Jasprit!

kit said...

Rose was a great character, I thought - she seemed very believable and I don't think I was ever confused by her choices, they seemed true to her character even if I wouldn't necessarily have always done the same. And can I mention Angelo? He was totally my favourite! :)

selkiereads said...

I'm struggling with this book right now and I was just about to DNF it, but seeing as how you loved it so much i'll try to give it another chance :)

- Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I love the sound of Rose's character, especially as she has a sense of humour. The snarky types tend to work well for me. I'm glad you loved this book overall, Jasprit! I really need to get started on the first someday. Brilliant review. :)

Unknown said...

That's great! I'll have to reread the first one since I wasn't able to get into it more but since you love this series, I'll have to now :) Great review, Jasprit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...