Monday 17 June 2013

Review: Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald.

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald
Publisher: Walker Books
Publication date: May 2nd 2013.
My rating: 4 stars.


Can Sadie overcome her unrequited crush for good? Abby McDonald serves up her trademark wit and wisdom in a hilarious new novel. Sadie is in love – with her best friend, Garrett Delaney. But Garrett has been oblivious to Sadie's feelings for him ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust, not to mention his deep blue eyes. For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock. When Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder – until he calls to say that he's fallen in love with another girl! Heartbroken, Sadie realizes she's finally had enough and that it's time for a total Garrett detox. Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including hunky chef Josh) and a customized self-help guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, meltdowns ... and a double shot of love.

Getting over Garrett Delaney was much more than the cute fluffy book I was expecting it to be. Our MC Sadie has been infatuated by Garrett for over two years now, he’s become her best friend, but she’s always wanted more. He’s the perfect match for her, as they both have so much in common and there’s nothing that either would do for each other. Sadie has her summer planned out, both she and Garrett would be attending writing camp and it would be the best summer ever. But things don’t end up as planned as Sadie ends up stuck at home, whilst Garrett is whisked away to camp. Both Garrett and Sadie promise to keep in touch every day, but then Sadie gets the dreaded phone call, Garrett has met someone at camp and she’s definitely the one. 

I was all for Sadie and Garrett getting together, they did seem perfect for each other. But I think the wake- up call Sadie received from Garrett, it was exactly what she needed, as Sadie was led through an incredible journey about discovering how lopsided and toxic her friendship with Garrett was. I adored the steps that Sadie planned out to get over Garrett which led to tapping into Garrett’s character beneath the surface so that Sadie could see what he really was like. I admit that I was also completely mesmerised by Garrett’s charm and personality, so I could completely understand Sadie’s pain when she realised she was the one contributing everything to the friendship in the first place.

I truly admired Sadie’s character and strength, but more the character growth that she displayed over the course of this book. There were a few stumbling blocks along the way where Sadie faltered, but with unexpected friends from work she was able to stay on the right path. A lot of readers will appreciate Sadie especially if you like your MC’s who finally take a stand to guys they’ve been steamrolled over for ages. To give credit to Sadie she was enamoured by Garrett’s character, but it was only when her friends were able to help her take a step back that she realised what was happening.

Getting over Garrett Delaney was a tough task to accomplish for Sadie, as for the past two years her only friend left had been Garrett. But with great secondary characters such as Kayla, LuAnn, Dominique, Josh and Aiko who really came through as more of supporting friends than Garrett ever was, Sadie was able to experience this traumatising situation in a great way. The secondary characters did bring a lot of their own drama, but the way everyone helped one another out in their most difficult times proved just how far they had come in their friendship. The characters were also great in making light of a dull situation; some of their antics were quick to bring a smile to my face.

Getting over Garrett Delaney was a book which I certainly read at the right time, it was perfect in lifting up my spirits when I was feeling run down and tired. And it was a truly eye opening journey to go on with Sadie in this book. For those of you who have originally not considered Getting over Garrett Delaney as your sort of book I encourage you to give it a try.


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like such a cute read, Jasprit. I really like that cover.
It's refreshing to know that the MC doesn't pine over the love interest and actually grows up throughout the book. I can already tell that I will love Sadie. Plus, I know I would enjoy the friendships she creates with the secondary characters.
Lovely review, Jasprit!

Melanie said...

Wow this sounds like a fun read. I am not completely a fan of the synopsis but your review has me tempted, Jasprit! I shall stalk this book now. O_O

Lovely review! <33

Siiri said...

It does sound like just a fluffy read lol, but I agree, getting over someone is hard and I think this would be a fun, strong read. I'm glad you liked the MC. I find that a lot of the time when I don't like on of the main characters, it brings down the whole book for me. Friends' support in this kind of situation is very much needed and I'm glad Sadie found people to help her:) Yay that you liked it, Jasprit:)

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

I've seen this book around but I think your review is the first that I've read for this one, Jasprit! This sounds like a great read, and I'm glad that you understood Sadie and her feelings really well. Hooray for character growth! That's one of my favorite elements in stories. Having supportive friends are always a plus as well. I think I'm going to add this one to my summer/contemporary to-be-read list, thanks for the lovely review, Jasprit!

Jen at Books and Other Happy Ever Afters

Keertana said...

I've never heard of this one but I need something to lift my spirits and this sounds so cute! I'll have to check it out soon for sure. Great review, Jasprit!

The Teen Book Guru said...

I LOVE it when light contemporaries turn out to be much more than what you expected, so I think I'll pick this one up! And Sadie seems like the MC I would enjoy getting to know, I'm all for being independent and standing up for yourself. Ugh, I kinda hate but also love guys like Garrett. They make girls go gaga for them! >.< Well it's awesome that this book was able to lift your spirits, Jasprit, I'll definitely keep that in mind when looking for my next read. Thanks for the lovely review, doll! <3 x

Unknown said...

Eeeeek this one sounds absolutely great. I hate it when MCs act as a doormat and never stand up for themselves but the fact that Sadie is strong enough to say it's not on us a major plus. Thanks for the fab review, Jasprit :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review! Ice had this book for many months now. Ive been meaning to read it but other books got in d way lol. Anyway! I so need steps to get over someone ryt now too! Myt be a perfect read for me :)

Zoe said...

I hadn't heard of this before now, but it looks like a cute and interesting read! I love protagonists that stand up for themselves so I'm sure that I'll love Sadie's character.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! :)

Zoe @ Bookhi
www.bookhi.blogspot.com

selkiereads said...

I haven't heard of this book before and I don't know why! It sounds like a really good light and cute read and i'm so bummed that I wasn't able to read it last summer :(

- Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

brandileigh2003 said...

I like cute and fluffy but its always a nice surprise when there is more there as well. Need to add this to tbr

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I've never seen this cover for the book! I love that she opens her eyes to Garrett's steamrolling of the relationship. It's hard when you are young and blind to people taking advantage of you. Great review!

Jenni said...

I am all for character growth in my books and it sounds like this one has a lot of it. I haven't heard of this one before but I think I could totally like it! I love that Sadie goes through so much and learns so much about Garret in the novel. Thanks for introducing this one to me!

Renae @ Respiring Thoughts said...

I just finished this yesterday, and I thought it was a lot of fun. I definitely agree that the secondary cast of characters was great—I think they were my favorite part. I loved how they each had a unique, well-rounded personality, and I loved how supportive they were of Sadie in their own crazy, quirky ways.

Jenny said...

This sounds fantastic Jasprit! After your first paragraph I was all rooting for her and Garrett, and then I remembered the title of the book and went "oh". :) I love that this is a story of Sadie figuring out who she is without associating herself with Garrett or being in his shadow, and that she grows a great deal over the course of the book. LOVE character growth:) Really wonderful review!

Unknown said...

I've always been curious about this book, but never really paid close attention to the synopsis. This seems like a really interesting story about friendship. I've known so many people to have this type of relationship and never even realize it b/c they are so enamored by that other person. I really think I need to read Getting Over Garrett Delaney. Great review, Jasprit!

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I loved this book as well! I can't believe that it's not well known.. It's such an inspiring story!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice review, Jasprit! I'm glad you enjoyed this. I like that it twists the usual trope of "girl finally realizing best guy friend loves her and they end up together." This one seems a tad more realistic!

-Lauren

Unknown said...

I think this looks like a cute read! And YAY for great secondary characters! I love that in a contemp. Great review, glad this was what you needed to read at the time :)

-Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

Bystander said...

This book sounds darling. It's one of those darkly funny situations that I think all of us find ourselves in to some extent at some point in our lives. Thanks for putting this one of my radar!

Aneeqah said...

I've eyed this one so much everytime I go to the library, but dismissed it as something not for me. But after your review, Jasprit, I think I'm going to have to pick this one up! It sounds like such a great summer read. I love how this is a slow process of realization that you're doing something totally wrong- it's hard to admit that, especially as a teen (ahem, I'm a really, really stubborn person, fyi). Sadie sounds so strong, and I know that I'd love her for having the strength to do something like this. And the secondary characters seem equally as awesome, helping Sadie out and all.

Wonderful review, Jasprit! I'm going to have to pick this one up the next time I'm at the library. <3

-Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

This book sounds really interesting. I shall definitely look out for it!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I'm feeling totally run down and tired too, so I should probably go for it. :)
The cover is probably doing this book a bit of a disservice. Although I'm drawn to it, it screams FLUFF to me, and this book seems to be so much more. I'll definitely be reading it because it's pretty much what I've been craving lately. :)
Fantastic review as usual, Jasprit!

Sophia said...

I've heard really amazing things about this book, actually. It definitely sounds really fluffy and cute, which I'm always in the mood for. (Especially in the summer!)

Sadie sounds like an awesome protagonist. I love seeing character growth throughout a novel, so I'm sure I'll be impressed by Sadie finally taking a stand. Garrett does sound really charming, but if the friendship is toxic or lopsided, that's a big no-no! (Look at me, talking like a two year old.)

Wonderful review, Jasprit! I'm really happy to hear this one worked so well for you. I hope it does the same for me as well. :)

Unknown said...

This sounds cute and adorable and great and just MY KIND OF BOOK! I like the best friend romance aspect, but when done right, I love it when they realize how lopsided it is and how they're better without them and they were really like an anchor. I can't wait to read this one now so THANK YOU.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Ahh...this Sunds wonderful and is is my first encounter! I would love to see Sadie's growth and I am glad she took a stand. I am all about light and fluffy for summer!

Unknown said...

Ah wow, that is very different hehe. Glad to hear that it wasn't easy for the character, probably made it that much more a better story with all those wonderful supporting characters!

Jess said...

I've been meaning to read this book forever! I really enjoyed Dangerous Girls by the same author (under a Pseudonym) so I'll have to get around to this soon. Lovely review, Jas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...