Thursday 20 June 2013

Review: Jet by Jay Crownover

Jet (Marked Men, #2)
Jet by Jay Crownover
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication date: May 28th 2013.
My rating: 4 stars


With his tight leather pants and a sharp edge that makes him dangerous, Jet Keller is every girl’s rock and roll fantasy. But Ayden Cross is done walking on the wild side with bad boys. She doesn’t want to give in to the heat she sees in Jet’s dark, haunted eyes. She’s afraid of getting burned from the sparks of their spontaneous combustion, even as his touch sets her on fire.

Jet can’t resist the Southern Belle with mile-long legs in cowboy boots who defies his every expectation. Yet the closer he feels to Ayden, the less he seems to know her. While he’s tempted to get under her skin and undo her in every way, he knows firsthand what happens to two people with very different ideas about relationships.

Will the blaze burn into an enduring love. . . or will it consume their dreams and turn them to ashes?
 



I loved Rule by Jay Crownover.  It was full of longing and unrequited love, a type of romance I can’t resist and Ms. Crownover got it just right for me.  When I heard she was writing a companion novel I was over the moon!  Jet did not disappoint!  

Ayden, seems like a sweet and wholesome Kentucky country-girl, but looks and packaging can be deceiving. Ayden is far from being an innocent even though that’s the image she wants to cultivate. She wants nothing to do with the previous life she led and doesn’t want the image her new friends have of her to tarnish.  She left all that behind when she came to Colorado to attend college.  That was her ticket out of her old life and she doesn’t want anything tempting her back into her old ways.  Her off-the-charts attraction to Jet has the danger signs flashing red, but her willpower is slowly weakening. 

I had waited forever for this boy, and had wanted him, coveted him for so long it felt like the longing was a living, breathing thing inside of me.*

Looks are deceiving when it comes to Jet, as well.  He looks like the typical bad-boy rocker, but underneath it all you’ll find a good friend with a big heart.  He has a passion for music but not all the notoriety and fame that goes with it.  He has no desire to lead an empty life filled with nothing but drugs, booze and woman.  This is the life his father craved, and often abandoned his mother and him for while he was growing up.  He’s tried to get over Ayden’s pull, but it’s like electricity sparking when they get together. 

Jet was a captivating combination of fiery chemistry, angsty push and pull, family drama, and a little bit of danger.  Jet and Ayden may look like opposites from the outside, but they had more in common in the way of family disappointment, so it was easy for them to relate and get each other.  Both of them faced the sad reality of having a parent that didn’t put them first.  There were obstacles along the way of their romance, and a few times I seriously wanted to strangle Ayden, but I knew it would all turn out.  Any frustration I felt was made insignificant when I got to the sweet parts!  

This man, who was all metal and tattoos that bled out anger and frustration, really had the softest and kindest heart I had ever encountered in my life. Now that I knew how easy it was to snap in half, I told myself it was going to be my job to take care of it from here on out.*

Jet’s story put a smile on my face and was a worthy companion to Rule.  I can’t wait to see what Ms. Crownover comes up with next! 

*Quotes taken from an uncorrected proof and may change in the final copy.



 

22 comments:

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I remember reading your review for Rule and I wanted to read it. I mean I still do but I don't have time right now. Still I'm so happy to see that this sequel didn't disappoint. Great review :)

Eunice said...

I'm a sucker for mean and tough looking guys but actually a softie with a big heart inside! This sounds like pretty lovely read, Rachel. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I have a copy of this author's other book, Rule. Gotta have to read it some time soon. Lovely review, Rachel! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful review, Rachel. I recently read Rule but unfortunately it wasn't the book for me, so I ended up DNF it. I'm glad that this one worked for you.
Ayden sounds like a really complex character and it's good to know that Jet isn't a typical bad boy rocker and has a soft side to him.

selkiereads said...

Great review, Rachel! I haven't heard of Jet before but it sounds like my kind of read.

- Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Okay, Jet sounds like my type of man (good thing my bf can't see this comment haha). Tattoos and a tough-guy exterior hiding a marshmallow-sweet man? I'm totally sold. I really think I might just have to start this series after all. Thanks for the great review, Rachel! :)

Unknown said...

oh gosh I have not read Rule yet, but I heard it was a really good read. Just the cover of this one has me hooked and Jet sounds very swoon worthy.

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

Oooh, a rock and roll bad boy, huh? And one with a big heart, nonetheless. Love those types of characters. This sounds like a really good read and I'll have to look into the companion as well. Thanks for sharing!

Jenni said...

Ahh This series sounds so good. I really want to get started on it. I went on Edelweiss the day these two went up and I downloaded Rule and then it wouldn't let me put it on my Kindle because it said it had expired! The day it went up, What the heck! I'll have to just bite the bullet and buy them because it sounds like I would really love these!

Siiri said...

I had no idea Ayden and Jet had so much in common. I loved Rule as well and I didn't know there'd be a companion novel of the two of them, but I was secretly hoping LOL. When I found out that there'll be in fact a book about them, I was so excited. I'm beyond glad you liked it so much, gives me hope I'll enjoy this baby, too:) Lovely review, sweetie!

Jenny said...

Dammit Rachel!!!! Why'd you have to love this one? I have so many books I need to read that you've recommended and you just KEEP ADDING TO THE LIST! *sobs dramatically* You know I love it though, I just wish there were more hours in the day so I could get through them all. I think this series would work especially well for me, so I think Rule and Jet need to find their way onto my Kindle:)

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

I think I'll like the chemistry between Jet and Ayden. Thanks for sharing :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I haven't heard of either of these, but I'm glad you found both satisfactory. Love that Ayden is from Kentucky...since that's where I live. LOL I'm not as country as she sounds though.

Love a male interest that likes music. Swoon.

-Lauren

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

How odd, I would never pick this up because of that cover. It seems just awkwardly put together, self-published, almost. But now that I know what the book is about, and that it's a love interest who's into music, I'm definitely interested!
Thanks for putting this on my radar, Rachel!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I was tempted to get this one because I remember you review if Rule. I passed because I have too much on my plate, but now I am reconsidering, see what you do to me, Rachel?

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

I haven't heard of either of these book before, but I'm glad to see you enjoyed them both. The romance sounds great and I like the quotes you chose. Lovely review Rachel :)

brandileigh2003 said...

The chemistry sounds amazing, I need to read about him.

Unknown said...

Oh, wow! Jet sounds really great, Rachel. I bought Rule, b/c of your review, but still haven't found the time to get started. After reading this, I know I need to make the time soon.
Fabulous review!

Keertana said...

With all your gushing for this series, I really need to check it out. I remember thinking Rule would be interesting and this seems to captivate my attention the same way, so thanks for putting these on my radar, Rachel! Great review!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

That guy on the cover really scares me! I've seen this book a couple of times, but the cover just puts me off! Glad you enjoyed it!

Melanie said...

Hot damn that cover- a little scary as well. I would've just passed it off if it weren't for your review. I'm intrigued.

Lovely review, hon! <33

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I remember how much you liked Rule! I definitely need to check that one out first, as I do have a soft spot for unrequited love. I'm glad Jet's story worked just as well for you. Great review, Rachel! :)

Unknown said...

I haven't heard of this author or series before, but you made me interested! I'll definitely have to check it out, the characters sound great :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...