Wednesday 26 June 2013

Review: Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks


Never Seduce a Scot
Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks
Audio-Book Read by Kirsten Potter
Publisher: Tantor Media
Publication date: September 25th 2012.
My rating: 5 stars


Eveline Armstrong is fiercely loved and protected by her powerful clan, but outsiders consider her "touched." Beautiful, fey, with a level, intent gaze, she doesn't speak. No one, not even her family, knows that she cannot hear. Content with her life of seclusion, Eveline has taught herself to read lips and allows the outside world to view her as daft. But when an arranged marriage into a rival clan makes Graeme Montgomery her husband, Eveline accepts her duty-unprepared for the delights to come. Graeme is a rugged warrior with a voice so deep and powerful that his new bride can hear it, and hands and kisses so tender and skilled that he stirs her deepest passions. Graeme is intrigued by the mysterious Eveline, whose silent lips are ripe with temptation and whose bright, intelligent eyes can see into his soul. As intimacy deepens, he learns her secret. But when clan rivalries and dark deeds threaten the wife he has only begun to cherish, the Scottish warrior will move heaven and earth to save the woman who has awakened his heart to the beautiful song of a rare and magical love.

 Never Seduce a Scot was amazing and epic with a romance that turned me into a puddle of goo! I listened to the audio version, and the performer, Kirsten Potter, was perfection!! I’m supposed to save my audio books for my commute but there was no way I could stop listening to this mesmerizing story once I got home! I was up until 2am to finish.

The Montgomery’s and the Armstrong’s are enemy clans engaged in bitter feuding for ages. Being the largest and the most powerful clans in Scotland, the king forms a plan to unite them and stop their feud from weakening the kingdom. He decrees a marriage between the Laird of the Montgomery clan, Graeme, and the Laird’s daughter of the Armstrong clan, Eveline. Needless to say, this does not go over well, and the king only hopes they don’t kill each other at the wedding! Both clans acquiesce out of loyalty to the king and because if they don’t, the act of disobedience would be a death sentence for their clan.

Graeme hates the Armstrong’s but doesn’t hold this against an innocent woman. He’s not happy forcing this marriage, first and foremost because Eveline is an Armstrong but also because she’s reported to be “touched” or “daft.” How can he have a real marriage and heirs with such a woman?

For three long years Eveline has been carrying on a deception with her family. After a grave horse riding accident left her with a severe fever and unconscious for two weeks, she came out of it deaf but mentally sound. However, in order to avoid a marriage to Ian McHugh, a man who she was betrothed to against her wishes, she allows everyone to believe she’s mentally compromised. She has her reasons that we discover later, and I have to say, I would’ve done the same thing!

This story captivated and mesmerized me! I was on the edge of my seat, eager to find out how everything would work out! Both Graeme and Eveline captured my heart in their own way. Both were resolved to make the best out of an unwanted situation, but they didn’t count on the intense attraction and connection they would form. Each is an advocate for the other right from the beginning. I loved the fact there was zero frustration from either character, they made rational and reasonable decisions. *sighs in relief*

Oh my heart, this romance just filled my heart to bursting! There are so many swoon-worthy moments and also enough spice make your insides zing!

I can’t recommend this story enough, and I plan on reading the next in the series: Highlander Most Wanted. I’m a little nervous to pick it up, though because it seems like a much darker read.





15 comments:

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Maya Banks sound so familiar but I can't remember where have I see that name. Anyhow I haven't seen this one before but it sounds like a great read! I'm glad you enjoyed Rachel! :) Great review.

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I saw your rating of this on Goodreads and you had me intrigued then, and even more so now! I don't usually read much adult romance but I am considering buying the Kindle version now ;)

Unknown said...

It is always nice when the characters aren't frustrating. I usually don't mind so much, but less angst is always welcome. This sounds like such a great story, and it's one I would typically overlook. Thanks for a great review, Rachel!

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Wonderful review. Sounds really good :)

Anonymous said...

Your excitement over this book is adorable, Rachel. I can totally see from your review how much you enjoyed this book. To be honest, I don't think this is my kind of book but I'm happy that you loved it so much.
Lovely review, Rachel!

brandileigh2003 said...

Glad it captivated and mesmorized you. Sounds really good.

Shirley said...

When I read "rival" I immediately thought of Romeo and Juliet! Hahahhahahaha OMGG I just came from Jenny's review of Forevermore which featured a pretty good looking and likable Scottish love interest, and now here's another Scot hottie<3 I don't usually listen to audio books but I might give this a try when I have time!! I'll read anything that can turn readers into a puddle of goo!<3

Livvy said...

This sounds like it has more depth than I first thought it would, so I shall be definitely on the lookout for that one. I am such a sucker for a melting heart, gooey romance!

And I love the theme of warring families. That has definitely brought about the Romeo/Juliet feel for me! haha.

Lovely review! :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I love you renthusiasm for this one, Rachel. I know that Jenny and Felicia both love this author and I really want to try her. I must get my hands on this one!

· said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

I feel embarrassed to say that I didn't know Maya Banks writes historical romance. Eveline sounds very likeable - I'll have to look this one up. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Neither character was frustrating? Okay that's it, I HAVE to try out this book :) Was a bit wary because of the cover (I know, shame on me!) but I loooove Karen Marie Moning's highlander series so thanks for the fab review, Rachel!

Keertana said...

I haven't read anything by this author, but I'll have to check this out if it comes with such a high recommendation from you! It sounds like something I'd enjoy on a light day of reading. Great review, Rachel! :)

Jenny said...

YESSSSS RACHEL! I loved this one so much too! I was nearly in tears when Evelyn's trying to help out in the Keep and do what needs to be done and those women do what they do. Ugh. I wanted to throttle then and I loved Graeme so much in those moments. Hurry up and read Bowen so we can talk about him!

sshah605 said...

Looks like an intriguing read! I read Cherished by Maya Banks a few months ago and loved it and have been looking forward to read other books by her. Thanks for the recommend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...