Wednesday 12 June 2013

Review: This Girl (Slammed #3) by Colleen Hoover


This Girl (Slammed, #3)
This Girl (Slammed #3) by Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication date: April 30th 2013
My rating:  4 stars

 
Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.

In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from his point of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series.



I LOVED Slammed and Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover so I was guessing This Girl would be a slam dunk for me, and it totally was!  This is a must read for any fan of this series. If you haven’t read either, you may want to stop reading now as there will be mild spoilers.

Will and Lake are on their honeymoon enjoying wedded bliss, and it’s here that we catch up with them. This Girl is told from Will’s perspective, and much of this story is reminiscing and going over the events of Slammed through his eyes and feelings. It was a treat to relive one of my favorite reads through Will’s POV.  I had forgotten some of the angst and heartache that went on in Slammed, but this brought it all back, and my heart bled all over again for Will and Lake and all they had to go through.  I have to mention that along with the heartache and angst we also get sweeter things like passion, intense longing, love and desire that consumed these two!  My heart was bursting with feelings all over the place!  Even though I know some of my frustrations towards Will were really unfair, but I couldn’t help but feel them all over again!  And also, Taylor?!! Really, Will?!! Even though it was quite innocent and in the past, I would’ve reacted the same way as Lake!  *shakes a finger*

Some of my favorite scenes relived through Will:

The poetry slams: The Lake, This Girl, Better than Third, I Got Schooled.
All so heartfelt, and capable of leaving me in a heap on the floor!

Pumpkin carving and the intense looks that speak volumes. *sigh*

Javier in all his idiocy exposed so much in Will. Green is such an attractive color on you, Will!

The epilogue!! Oh my heart! Glorying in their happiness is such a treat after everything we’ve seen them go through.

One of my favorite quotes:

I press my forehead to hers and look directly into her eyes when she opens them. “This is it, Lake,” I say, pointing back and forth between us.  “It’s real now.  I’m not ever walking away from you again. Ever.” Her eyes fill with tears. “Promise?” she whispers.
“I swear.  I love you so much.”
A tear rolls down her cheek. “Say it again,” she whispers.
“I love you, Lake.”
 
If you haven't had a chance to pick up this series, you are really missing out!  Go, now, READ!!



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be honest. I did not care for this book at all because I'm not a fan of books being written all over again from another character's POV, but your review definitely got me curious, Rachel. Love the quotes! :)

Emma said...

OMG Rachel... I've been so looking forward to your review and it seem like it didn't disappoint. I think I may take your advice and actually read right night! I love the Slammed theme to it, it brought love, desire and want in a completely new light! I'm so glad that this was a hit for you! Lovely review Each eel! :)

Keertana said...

I wasn't a big fan of the first two books in this series, which is why I haven't been too keen to pick up this installment either. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, Rachel! Wonderful review - the slam poetry really is some of the best parts of these novels!(:

Rachel said...

That is the best review ending ever! Nice how much you can enjoy all three books and that it can stir so many emotions. Sounds like a wonderful book and terrific review Rachel! Pumpkin carving is so fun even if its gooey- am interested in that and the other scenes you mentioned.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I've yet to read this series at all, but your passion for it definitely has me intrigued. It sounds like something that I might actually enjoy, and the romance sounds so, so sweet! Wonderful review, Rachel :)

Teresa Mary Rose said...

YAY! I loved this book too! Will is a favorite of mine and this series in general will always be in my top 5! Great review and glad you enjoyed!

Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

Jenny said...

Rachel. I need you to explain to me why I haven't read this series yet, because I honestly cannot come up with a good reason. I love that all the books are out now though, so I can just devour them all at once without having to wait. I'm not a fan of waiting (January...Ryodan...*sobs*)

Eunice said...

Oh my, this is already out?! God, I've been gone for too long. I'm so glad you enjoyed this Rachel. Like Nick I'm not much fan of books written all over again in a different POV but this one sounds really good and heart warming and touching! And I missed reading Will's poetry slam! Haha. Wonderful review, Rachel. Will be checking this out some time. :)

Siiri said...

What what what what? I Got Schooled is from Will's POV this time around? Oh, man!!!! I need to read this baby asap! These two lovebirds are one of my absolute favorite couples and I love them so hard!! I'm glad you enjoyed it sweetie:)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I liked some moments from this book - new slams especially! Only all the moments at honeymoon were too sappy for me. I wasn't buying it. Still I'm really happy to see that you've enjoyed this one :) Great review Rachel :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I didn't read your full review. I have this coming up for review and I didn't want to spoil it. I did skim it and I think that Pumpkin Carving scene sounds wonderful!

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

I'm really looking forward to this one Rachel and getting Will's POV of events that occurred in the past. I hope to get to this one soon. Lovely review hun :)

Unknown said...

I still haven't read the first two books, a TRAGEDY since I own these in print and ebook and I loved Hopeless. I'm always worried about books written from alternate point of view will be redundant, but most seem to enjoy this. So happy you did, Rachel!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Okay, so I stopped reading as I haven't checked any of these out. However, I'm so glad you loved all three. The summary makes this one sound awesome so I need to get on it! :)

hbjgvhuogyihpo said...

GAH! The only reason why I haven't read this one yet is because of my strict under $5 Kindle rule!! But now I'm really wanting to break my rule and read it because it sounds so good.. AH. I can't wait to see some of my favorite parts of Slammed in Will's POV.

selkiereads said...

I didn't enjoy the other books that much because I wasn't a fan of Lake's narration. I really liked Will though so i'm hoping that i'll enjoy this one more than the other books, with him narrating and all :)

- Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

brandileigh2003 said...

So glad that you enjoyed, i need to start this series soon.

Melanie said...

So I just quickly skimmed through this as I have not read the first one bur I'm glad you have loved this series! The character seem amazing.

Fantastic review, chick! <33

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I'm not usually a fan of retellings of a story from a different POV but I like the sounds of how the author did this one. And I did love Slammed. I may have to read this after all. Great review! :)

Unknown said...

Okay, I haven't read the rest of the series, but I couldn't resist scanning your review because this series sounds great and I'm SO relieved that it didn't go downhill. YAY!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...